Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i've been thinking about doing a trip from Oombulgurri to Kalumburu (WA) for a long time. If possible i would be starting in Oombulgurri heading north along the coast if possible up to King George Falls passed Kimberley coastal camp and end up at Kalumburu ready to head back down to the Gibb river road. A former workmate of mine did it in 96 but he was getting paid to do it as he worked for a Mining exploration company. He told me it's probably one of the tuffest and remote tracks in Aussie and one part of the track took them three days to cover 150ks and they rolled the troopie three times over the duration of the trip. Has anyone done this trip in more recent times or know if it's even still possible. One thing i know is the planning for permits fuel logistics etc will be massive.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I tentatively looked at this a few years ago. I rang the local Aboriginal Authority in the area and didn't get a very satisfactory response. It was obvious that they didn't want people going through their land. I think also that there is some pastoral land in that area you would need to get permissions as well.

From the research I did at the time it was obvious that it was a very tough and break vehicle sort of trip. There were many creek and river crossings with some very steep ups and downs. The route is not maintained at all and with all the cyclones and wet seasons you can imagine how cut up it would be.

There is somebody on here who works in Kunnunurra they might be able to help with some local knowledge.

I'm not saying that it would be impossible but at the time I gave it up as too hard with the time restrictions I had at that stage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Grafe i also have tentatively looked at this trip for many years as well and something keeps drawing me back to it however for all the reasons you mention above it's held me back also. My mate who put me on to this trip spent 8 months travelling around this remote area of the Kimberley but had the backing and resources of a mining exploration company and he always said to go out and do this trip without the backing he had would be a challenge but the rewards would be great and you would be one of only a very few who have done this trip. He told me storys of massive underground caverns as big as a shopping centre with smooth walls and Aboriginal paintings also camping at the top of King George Falls and plenty of other awesome storys. Like you said it's a very tough and break vehicle sort of trip and only for the most hardcore 4wder/adventurer but i hope to do this trip before it turns into a busy over crowded trek like Cape york the Gibb river road and all the usual hot spots but here's hoping it stays mostly untouched.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts