Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here. I'm starting to finish up most of the camping mods to my wagon and want to do a little bit of engine/drive mods to her.
Nothing too crazy, just chasing some opinions or any mustdos that members have found of real benefit. Chasing a little bit more power and probably unlikely, economy. Auto btw.

Beaudesert extractors exhaust - these are the only ones I've found to suit the 4 sensors on the 2010 4.8. Are these basically the goto kit? I do a bit of beach work... Worth going stainless or alum mild steel be ok?

Airbox - much to gain here for the 4.8s? What's the recommended kit; millweld, patroldocta, etc? Unsure if I'll get a snorkel.. Much to be gained with one?

I am turning 35" at2s. Will a change in diff ratio fetch me any economy back?

Any other mustdo mods anyone rates? Perth tuners, auto box work, etc? Appreciate anything. Am finding some decent info on here, but the 4.8 does seem to be the least covered done.

Appreciate it, cheers!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Welcome Goldilocked, we don't have as many 4.8 members as we do other engines.

If you look in here you may find a bit of info, especially in post #1 of the archives in General Patrol Discussion, where there is a 4.8 bible one of the guy's started a while back and I put it into the archives.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-patrol-discussion-17/archives-reference-tech-talk-maint

EDIT: Hmmm that didn't work, the post I was directing you to was this one:

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/4-8-service-bible-92920/

·
N/A
nissan patrol
1,141 Posts
Hi Goldilocked,
im in the same place as you re moding the 4.8 and here is what I have found out through my research:
beaudesert have a great exhaust system that i will eventually be putting on my car. if you are on gas it might be worth looking into ceramic coating to help with the heat transfer out of the engine bay. Another option is a 2 o2 sensor model (like pacemaker) with sensor eliminators (see 4.8 service bible).
Diffs are a good thing to do, I run 33s and instantly lost the use of 5th. I am looking at going to 3.9 or 4.11 to help correct this. with 35s to return the auto gearing back to standard you would need 4.11 and to give you a little extra you could try 4.3.
could be worth looking at reduction gears - Nissan 43% Low Range Transfer Case Gears | Marks 4WD Adaptors
Marks do some great gear and great workmanship, but shop around as they are quite pricey.
in the 4.8 service bible there is a link to Jays cruise in manual mod - do it. and do the pva mod on page 2 of that thread too.
if you are doing beach work or driving in dusty areas it could be worth looking at a snorkel just to get cleaner, fresher air into the engine.
if you get the exhaust (get snorkel first/same time) get a dyno tune from a reputable place, from my experience these cars have so many little gremlins that can cause big problems.
Clean ur maf regularly to help keep fuel consumption down!

thats about all i can think of at the moment
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1481022778833567/?fref=ts
can be worth a read from time to time
hope this helps

·
Registered
96 Posts
3.9's and 35's are back to standard
4.11's and 35's are just right for economy,can't remember the exact percentage but speedo is only out like 5-7km's at 100km/h making it like 5-7% lower geared then standard.

I ran 35's and 4.11 to cape york and back and worked a treat, always wondered if 4.3's would have been better to take it back another 5% but now i know it was the correct choice as ive changed to 33's with 4.11's still and it just sits slightly higher in rpm on the highway, offers no noticable power difference or low range difference and uses a tad more fuel.

35's are big rubber, can't even imagine running them on standard motor with 3.5 ratios

·
Registered
Nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys appreciate it.

I wonder what ratio my 2010 auto has in the diff. Still fangs with the 35s. I'm fine with the power now and I figure if I get an exhaust/box/snorkel/tune the power will be right back up. 4.11s could make it more economic? Making it worse is definitely not on my to do list. Always on 98 btw.

Search hard but can't find whether or not it's worth upgrading airbox and which one is the go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
airbox isn't worth it from what i've read. a set of 3:9 centres and install will cost u around $550 and do more for your fuel usage and power than any other mod like exhaust etc.
Am i right in thinking that the TB48 Auto fitted with 3.90 ratio and 285/75 tyres would be a lower ratio than the standard 3.55 and 265/70 tyres

·
Registered
nissan
578 Posts
Yeh i think ur right pitbull. I should have recommended 4:1's. i got 3:9's in my 4.8 auto now and its perfect, so 4:1 would be just right for 35's. Ur 4.8 has 3.55's in it if its stock goldilocked. Diff ratio is one of the things to do to get economy back.

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
There's not many threads because they don't need upgrades lol, most people are happy with them in standard form.

I just did an airbox on my 4.8 and Prob wouldn't waste money doing it again. I ran 3.5" stainless to my factory airbox inlet before it it was almost as good, also had 4" snorkle.

Diff gears help the autos a lot.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,067 Posts
You wont find much on the 4.8 because you dont have to do much apart from drive it. I run 4.3s with 34s and the auto is fine. Wouldnt bother with exhaust airbox or any of the other normal chit. Just d for drag and maybe a ratio change. Apart from that dont put gas on it and just drive it. I finding myself a little bit bored tbh... after tinkering with a td42t the 4.8 is a bit of a bore

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
ive put a K&n stock replacement air filter in.. that made it a "little" more responsive - main advantage is you can clean it :)
3" exhaust cat back improved revving above 3K

none were a big improvement... extractors are meant to help on the 3 cat motors as your deleting the first 2 cats

but none of these mods will be worth the money :)

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
4.8 are just out the box 4x4's. They don't need much apart fuel. My 2012 has just dont 100,000 Kmh.

Were just about to do the wrong way round rally in June.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Someone mentioned 3" exhaust on the 4.8L
Is that too big for a NA? will it sound to loud and farty?
I need a new exhaust, but want something slightly louder but more deeper

·
Registered
nissan patrol
242 Posts
Turbo's are the best muffler money can buy, so yeh 3" zorst and a turbo to quiet things down.

Hits two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
2.5" is 2 small for the 4.8 "power band" over 3k
you need 2.75" but... try finding that.
3" with a tri flow muffler is a better option as it keeps back pressure and can also flow enough and is quiet like stock

·
Registered
nissan
333 Posts
If I bought another 4.8 the first thing I'd do is diff ratios, I put 4.11's in my old one running stocko tyres and it was like 3t go-kart. Rev'd its nuts off on the freeway of course, but I intended on fitting 33's. Can't comment on economy as I sold mine soon after I changed the diffs, but I'd imagine it'd be better.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol Gu 2006
14 Posts
I have just fitted a 3ltr 3 inch exhaust from dea to my 4.8 was loud as hell with a small resonator on the rear so i cut that off and fitted a varex rear muffler now it sound deep and a really nice note when open and sounds as quiet as stock exhaust when closed

1 - 20 of 38 Posts