Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,just sitting here thinking about a idea i came up with last night.

I was thinking of how many people have drowned there engine and wrecked it.

Ill run you through my idea, fit a pressure switch in the intake(same as the dirty aircleaner warning switch) and have it connected to a light on the dash and also a relay to cut ignition.

of it gets a mouthfull of water it will trigger the switch and cut the engine, and the light coming on to tell you whats happening

would this work???

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
By the time there was enough water in there to create positive pressure and trigger the switch it would be too late and the motor would probably hydraulic lock.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,270 Posts
Perhaps a sensor that could complete a circuit if it got wet in the bottom of the airbox?

·
Registered
nissan
1,178 Posts
I think if people are happy to drive through deep water without a snorkel, i doubt they would ever bother to buy/fit such a device that may save the engine from water ingestion ?

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
better idea, - stay out of 4' plus water, or if you're not game to do a walk through first, then dont be stupid enough to just drive through. and if you're just out playing and showing off - then you deserve what you get.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
It'd be too slow to respond and let's face it, you already know you're in danger cause you've got water up to sills ! Better idea would be to spend the money on a good snorkel, move the alt etc etc if you want to wade ?

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
If you have a cyclonic airfilter you could retro fit one of those optical devices new cars use to detect rain droplets and therefore activate the wipers. Just have it situated in a cup on the outer surface of the airfilter casing infront of the inlet.

You would want a butterfly or knife gate in the intake ducting somewhere aswell.

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
better idea, - stay out of 4' plus water, or if you're not game to do a walk through first, then dont be stupid enough to just drive through. and if you're just out playing and showing off - then you deserve what you get.
You gunna walk thru up here heh...

Man punches croc during swimming hole attack- Local Cairns News | cairns.com.au

Fisherman survives croc attack at Weipa- Local Cairns News | cairns.com.au

Note the dates these are only quite recent. Knew them both, they work with me. Saw the Feb ones injuries via camera phone and he told me the story... they other bloke is still in Cairns base getting his broken legs and double dislocated knees surgeried on.

I think it is a great idea...might save your arse if you get a leak in your snorkel as well...whilst driving thru that 4 foot of water...

just gotta work out the finer details is all...good job;)

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I have often wondered if you could modify a cheapish fish finder to your bullbar with the sensor on a swing out arm, to check water depth???? lol

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
I have often wondered if you could modify a cheapish fish finder to your bullbar with the sensor on a swing out arm, to check water depth???? lol

heh not a bad idea i have one laying about up here might gimmi rig it up and see if it works...good one..

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
i think actuall one of the older range rovers had such a device that cut the engine out after it ingested water???

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
i think actuall one of the older range rovers had such a device that cut the engine out after it ingested water???

Ha ha the device your talking about is the anti hydration fluid detector and it stops all range rovers well before the enter the water........

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
by glort "Maybe have 2 sensors (edited spelling), one lower down than the other sounds a warning and the other cuts the engine.... Which won't be simple on a mechanically injected Diesel like mine....."

Bilge pump float switch in line with the fuel stop solenoid, float rises, cuts current to the fuel solenoid - instant diesel stop. No need for relays etc, about $8, simple, and foolproof.

Mount on bottom flange inside right side of bull bar, 2 wires join to one side of fuel stop solenoid (cut one wire, join in series), pull back out of water, float drops engine restarts.

even if you're going quick, by the time the water got high enough to enter inlet, float sw would have cut cut solenoid power and engine used remaining fuel in lines in a few revs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts