Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whose still got original paint on their Patrol and how is it looking? (No I'm not a paint shop)
Just wondering how well Nissan's factory paint is going on Patrols over the years.
Mines a Dec '89 GQ, still has factory paint and it's in good condition, fine metallic silver, apart from little marks and little "his & hers" shopping trolley dings from off road. Mainly "his" (mine) :ahah:

·
Registered
nissan
1,727 Posts
Hi Sudso, mines a 92 GQ with original white paint. Think the previous owner looked after it...now she has mandatory bush pinstriping, but still looks good. I believe the factory paint was pretty think on them to start with.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,585 Posts
Yeah my '92 ones white and it doesn't have clear coat and is still ok after a life in the weather excepting for a lot of nicks and scratches. Even still matches up pretty well to fresh "Nissan 531" coloured paint. One interesting point is that the paint robot forgot to paint the very top of the "B" pillars on mine where it tucks under roof gutter and the condition of the gal steel is still ok after all these years.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mine's Dec 92 build. Paint is in really good nick except for the bush pinstripes. It gets a polish once a year.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,383 Posts
Both my 92 and 91 have original paint. The 92 is a street princess for the princess and the 91 is all scratched up from wheeling in the bush. As long as the scratches are not to where they will rust, who cares. Wheeling rigs are not supposed to look pretty.

·
Registered
nissan
449 Posts
i have a 93 build and the paint is like new still. very happy with it, except for the odd ratbag in a carpark who put a ding in my driver door from a trolley:ranting:spose i shouldn't complain though:ahah:

·
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like Patrols had good paint from factory especially GQ's. I've heard some horror stories about Navara's though. They're made in Thailand though.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
1,898 Posts
Sounds like Patrols had good paint from factory especially GQ's. I've heard some horror stories about Navara's though. They're made in Thailand though.
Being an Automotive painter by trade I can tell you the Nissans paint work is a pretty high standard as opposed to Holden, Ford, Toyota etc. I've heard a few stories about the Thailand made Navara's paint but in all honesty at it's worst it's probably still no worst then Holden or Ford. Not all Navaras are made in Thailand as some are made in Spain as well. I've seen brand new Fords with finger prints in the base coat and then cleared over from factory, a new lexus that had been resprayed 4 times in the factory and then sold new. Landrovers where the worst by far though.:rolleyes:

These days all new cars are totally transparent from factory and getting worst.

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ ute
363 Posts
mines a 94 gq and the paint it stuffed. I'll give it a touch up in the next couple of years

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
92 TI GQ has a really dark metallic green, looks black in most light. The clear is blistering badly on the bonnet and the top of the guards. I dont know if its an original colour but its very close to the colour under the bonnet. The roof has been repainted really badly in a wrinkle finish.
93 Mav in white is pretty good.

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
top layer gone on the bonnet & roof of my champagne '94 gq.....just noticed there are a few on here around '94 vintage which have ordinary paint; was there any change in what paint they used around this time?? Bloke i bought it off never garaged it so there you go.
Some guy at autobarn said its a common problem with the metallic paints around that time ?? ?

just out of interest what is ballpark for a total respray (ive heard b/w 4 and 10k) as cost of paint has gone up lately? this true ?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
1990 model. Blue over silver. Paint was excellent until about two years ago. Had been garaged and polished regularly for most of its life except the last 4 years where it has spent its time outside. On a trip to the Kimberley two years ago the clear on the bonnet started to blister and also around the the top of the passenger door sill. Surprisingly the roof is still very good.

No problems at all with the silver paint but its all on the down side surfaces.

Wouldn't mind getting it repainted but haven't been game to go and get a quote because it might result in a cardiac arrest.

·
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just out of interest what is ballpark for a total respray (ive heard b/w 4 and 10k) as cost of paint has gone up lately? this true ?
Depends how much prep work needs to be done. If there's rust and dents to fix first (properly) the price will be more accordingly.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,799 Posts
I had all my wheel arches re-sprayed under warranty due to the paint been to thin and the primer was visible in areas. The dealer says it mainly due to having been sprayed in water base paint so they sprayed in 2K and now its like armor plating. I decided to pay etc and have all the bumpers and side skirts redone for 200 USD extra.

·
Registered
nissan
230 Posts
Mines an 89 (or 88 I can never remember) but its blue over silver and the paints stuffed. Any upward facing panel has clear coat that has seen better days, and it has more then its fair share of dents and scratches. But I didn't buy it to be pretty.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.