Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, just wondering if there are any other transmissions that fit or come close to fitting an sd33t, looking to do a random project and want to put an sd33t in a car that's 2wd, or are you able to remove the transfer case and utilize the main part of the trans?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,632 Posts
L28 LWB ran a divorced transfer, so rear housings were made for the MQ/MK transmission.
The trucks that used the transmission would also have the rear housing most likely

Ive not yet split a gearbox and transfer, they're mated so its a bit of stuffing around. But I would guess the output shaft would also be different to L28 LWB as they ran a small driveshaft with uni joints to the transfer so there would have to be provision for a drive flange to be mounted.

Some other Nissan models came with SD 4cyl engines in 2wd, I think the only one we got in Australia would have been the 720 ute, sourcing something like that would likely be easier than stuffing around swapping SD transmission parts in and on to an L28 box.

·
Registered
nissan
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info mate, I've been looking online and people say, The SD engine bell is the same as all the R, H and U-series engine (R16, H16, U20). They share the same block, just not sure what r16 h16 u20 are or what cars these were in

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The SD33 has one bolt pattern on the block, and then an flywheel housing to convert it to another. The gearbox then attaches to the housing, which I think has a standard SAE pattern, although after a quick google search [1] [2] I couldn't determine if it is #3 or #4. But get a gearbox to suit the pattern, and it should bolt up.

Actually, I currently own a 1982 Jeep Cherokee that has the AMC V8 and 727 torqueflite automatic transmission referred to in that second thread. I should measure the bolt pattern out of curiosity. It is only a 3 speed auto though, and wouldn't be suitable in a patrol due to having the transfer drop on the wrong side.

Also, there are SD22 or SD25 motors in other cars in Australia, the gearbox from of them might suit? It does look like the mid 80's Nissan 720's had 5 speed manuals.

·
Registered
nissan
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I've been looking into sd22 and Datsun 720's, not looking for a 4wd gearbox, I want to put a sd33t into something that is 2wd and that is not meant to be a diesel(just a random project)

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,632 Posts
I think a 2wd 720 box would be a lot easier to find than a box that was used behind an old H or R series engine, they would all be 4 speed too whereas the 720 could be had with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
nissan
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at the moment I'm looking around for a 2wd sd22 gearbox, but not as many around by the look of it, yeah I've seen the scouts with tf727 online,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts