Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i was thinking about heading to the otway rangers in first week off jan just after some diretion for some good 4wd tracks or what maps i should get for around that area

·
Registered
419 Posts
Its been a while since I've been there, but there are maps available, they're not rooftops, but they do show lots of 4wd tracks. If you go to a servo or tourist info centre type place anywhere down that way you should be able to pick one up.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh thanks for that muchly appreciated i hope to find some tracks and some mud

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Dunno if you'll find heaps of mud at that time of the year. . . .but it's a beautiful place regardless.

TF

·
Registered
387 Posts
"The Great Ocead Road and Otway Ranges", Spatial Vision Map is worthwhile. We've only been there once, but on advice from a trip report in 4WD Monthly we bought that map. It's a good overview, and also includes 6 4WD trips with a few notes and the route marked on the map, plus 3 2WD tourist drives. It also gives a good run down of all the camping areas. I rang a couple of the NPWS offices (Apollo Bay and Forrest from memory) plus one of the DSE offices. These folks were VERY helpful. Actually maybe one of the three was Gellibrand... Between them they gave us a bunch on info on the condition of 4WD tracks and on the camping areas. We ended up going to Aire River East. If you can bear the sound of Koala orgies (parden the pun), this isn't a bad spot for over the early Jan type period. Going purely from memory, the Neck Track may have been one of the harder ones listed on the 4WD Monthly article and it came to a junction with a bit of a ball tearer.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
i went to aire river just past apolo bay their was a bit of sand driving and a great campground right on the river there

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Mud? oh there will be plenty of mud there even at that time of year.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If you want to find 'Otway Rangers' then I'd suggest going to the rangers' hut, somewhere in the Otway ranges ;)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
yeah thats what im talking about can not weight to test out the new 33inch MTZ
33's eh, hope you got good recovery gear and a winch !
Yes mate, be prepared to self recover or have another vehicle with you, recommend a winch and a long snatch strap. The Otways is 35s and bigger country and you will find the 33s hung up in lots of places.

Just be aware mate and respect where you are, because its a line on the map does not mean that you can drive it.

IF there is much rain around while you are there stay in camp, it can get pretty hairy. There is a bit that is locked up now unfortunately as some of the best bits are now MVO tracks and not available to drive. Miss it already.

Have fun though.

If you want to find 'Otway Rangers' then I'd suggest going to the rangers' hut, somewhere in the Otway ranges ;)
Funny as hell :D and all the Otway Rangers are tree planting wallys. The Otway Ranges are great though, Heavily policed but great.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
111 Posts
edited as requested!! look i didnt mean any harm to anyone with that post!! i thought of it as a kind of warning of what to expect!! even tracks that start easy anywhere can turn to the hardest of tracks justaround a bend!! as you stated"Just be aware mate and respect where you are, because its a line on the map does not mean that you can drive it." i thought i was crossing these track off there list when they watched what was involved!! thatnks for the suggestion, it has been taken onboard, but please see where i was coming from!!
cheers tys

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
here a video of xxxxxxxxxx in april this year!! me and two mate are going down for a few days next week to try this and xxxxxxx tracks!! --------, but as stated 33's will get you caught up pretty quick down there!! even at paddys swamp (near anglesea)!! YouTube - Otway 4wd at Anzac Day 2010 (Boosted Intercooled turbo diesel, petrol Patrol GQ)
I am not sure there is any good advice there for the OP though Tys? The tracks that you have just named should be attempted by only vehicles that are very well setup and drivers that know what they are doing.

I would be a fan of removing the reference to them here mate to be honest.

This guy and many here are running 33s, your coming here with 37s or 38s? there is a really big difference between what you would point at and what the OP should be thinking about doing.

If he heads down that track in the vid mid week he could be there for a day or more if not longer if he is not setup right. He is very likely to suffer vehicle damage if he does get through and i reckon it would be a very costly exercise for him attempting that track. No disrespect to the OP intended.

The second track you named should be considered with Extreme Caution and with the Highest Respect you can give a track. Not even sure it is still drivable. Even with 38s you will be in a World of Hurt for 7 to 12 hours depending on what direction you travel in there. Naming a Destination like that here could lead to trouble for most that would even contemplate this track.

If the tragic "Track classification System" was real and gave a numerical number for difficulty to a Double Black that track would score the highest rating possible.

No disrespect intended to you either Tys but it would be far more helpful to steer the guy into Bush he is likely to have fun in without getting in over his head.

Any chance you can "Edit" you post as i have above to remove the reference to the tracks you have named. Go have your fun, for sure, send me a vid mate, i haven't ben down there for a few years, i can show you a pic in a hole OVER MY ROOF on that second track. I am thinking of doing it again this year but i wont put it out there mate.

Regards MR
The Otways is my Backyard ;-)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Agree with Mr Mudrunner, spent many an hour on said tracks.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
edited as requested!! look i didnt mean any harm to anyone with that post!! i thought of it as a kind of warning of what to expect!! even tracks that start easy anywhere can turn to the hardest of tracks justaround a bend!! as you stated"Just be aware mate and respect where you are, because its a line on the map does not mean that you can drive it." i thought i was crossing these track off there list when they watched what was involved!! thatnks for the suggestion, it has been taken onboard, but please see where i was coming from!!
cheers tys
Good on you Tys, appreciate your edit and as you say "an easy track can be the hardest track out there "just around the corner".

To the OP, Have a great trip mate, there are some great tracks down that way, consider all the advice that has been posted and watch Tys Video mate, that will give you an idea of the extremes that can be found in the Otways.

Cheers Tys

MudRunner. :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey all thanks for the advice i will be taking cation on all the trk that i will be driving on i will find out what trk are closed when im there if the trk looks like it is getting harder i probley just turn around

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Hey Tj,

You will have allot of fun in there mate and there is plenty to do. Unfortunately allot of the good stuff has been closed and gated. very disappointed.

When you get your Map have a good look at it mate, find Mount Sabine road and concentrate on the tracks to the North and West running off Mt Sabine and you will find plenty of good driving to do.

Heading East off Mt Sabine and you will find many closed tracks unfortunately and any that are open should be considered with a little more caution. Heading South off Mt Sabine will be getting pretty tough to be honest but you should find some good stuff to drive to the North and West.

The Tracks "West Barwon", "No1 Spur" & "Noonday" have all been closed and converted to MVO tracks this season and some of the most fun to be had is now locked behind those gates permanently.

I would steer clear of "Cowley Link Tk" out of anything to the West and North West but everything else will have you smiling.

Plenty to do mate, as stated "every line is not a track that is drivable". Alot of the stuff East and South East of Mt Sabine goes all the Coast is gated and "under repair" damn it.

Paddy's Swamp is also well gated and allot of the tracks are no longer. Those that are there can be heavily rutted and your 33s will leave you high and dry mate. Worth a look though just beware if there are ruts they wont get any better as you go down the track, they will get worse.

Cheers mate

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Anything else to drive in the Otways besides that deep sloppy schit? I dont mind a bit of mud but the novelty of driving through it all day (like in that youtube vid) wore off ages ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts