Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noted that the technical sections are seeing a wider spread of models and engines in questions being asked? This seems to be an increasing trend over the last 18 moths. Good to see, we are alive and well.
I regularly get messages from new members responding to the welcome and overview message each new member recieves upon signing up.
I think we have a few years left in us yet.

· Registered
2009 GU
403 Posts
Has anyone else noted that the technical sections are seeing a wider spread of models and engines in questions being asked? This seems to be an increasing trend over the last 18 moths. Good to see, we are alive and well.
I regularly get messages from new members responding to the welcome and overview message each new member recieves upon signing up.
One of the best things about this forum is that people will go out of their way to help others, which is far from the experience I've had on other car forums.

· Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
692 Posts
100%, we’ve got a cool community of Patrol lovers here, makes me wish I was a part of it sooner. It’s pleasantly surprised me recently of the number of non-Australian new members with older Patrols, good to see them still kicking around.
It’s always felt like the info given here is much less opinionated and more informed than that on Facebook “forums”, and there’s the added bonus of lots of archived information. I think the sign-up process, though easy, generally means the people on here are the ones who actually want to be here, as opposed to (again) fb, where 1 button press and you can start telling everyone what the magical fix to everything is 🙄.

Love it here 👍

· Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,909 Posts
I think our technical sections are undergoing a bit of a transformation. On GQ/GU, for the last 20+ years it was all about learning and understanding the complete OE vehicle, bumper to bumper. But I think the knowledge base on these now is so massive that there isn’t much more that we can “learn” about these vehicles as they left the factory.

It is now becoming more a conversation about how are we going to keep these things alive for the next 20-30 years, most of which would require powerplant transplants, maybe even going EV one day :eek: if they don’t succumb to the dreaded metal cancer.

Most of the threads I read nowadays are either about “how do I make this or that engine work in my Patrol” or it’s relatively newcomers asking questions that have already been answered numerous times, and we just point them in the direction of where to find the info. Unfortunately this creates a lot of one-hit wonders where someone would register, ask one question and then disappear, quite often not even having the decency to acknowledge the replies we give and the information we provide.

It is a pity that the knowledge base here on Y62 is not as good as it could be. I don’t know why the Y62 brigade seems intent on hanging out in Fakebook, so I don’t know how we’ll ever be able to fix that. Maybe it’ll come with time…

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think our technical sections are undergoing a bit of a transformation. On GQ/GU, for the last 20+ years it was all about learning and understanding the complete OE vehicle, bumper to bumper. But I think the knowledge base on these now is so massive that there isn’t much more that we can “learn” about these vehicles as they left the factory.

It is now becoming more a conversation about how are we going to keep these things alive for the next 20-30 years, most of which would require powerplant transplants, maybe even going EV one day :eek: if they don’t succumb to the dreaded metal cancer.

Most of the threads I read nowadays are either about “how do I make this or that engine work in my Patrol” or it’s relatively newcomers asking questions that have already been answered numerous times, and we just point them in the direction of where to find the info. Unfortunately this creates a lot of one-hit wonders where someone would register, ask one question and then disappear, quite often not even having the decency to acknowledge the replies we give and the information we provide.

It is a pity that the knowledge base here on Y62 is not as good as it could be. I don’t know why the Y62 brigade seems intent on hanging out in Fakebook, so I don’t know how we’ll ever be able to fix that. Maybe it’ll come with time…
Agree, that history is much sort after and keeping us alive and in the groove. Re Y62, it would seem that some Y62 owners have much different values to GU/GQ/MK owners, don't know why, we have tried very hard to make them feel welcome and to build our knowledge base the same way we did with all the previous models, you may remember a particular 'member' who would reply to every question asked by a Y62 owner with 'go to the Y62 fakebook page', this sort of attitude does not help us one iota.

· Registered
Nissan
718 Posts
One of the best things about this forum is that people will go out of their way to help others, which is far from the experience I've had on other car forums.
The forum is looking better than ever, and theres very useful info and discussions. People feel welcome and theres always new members popping up and old ones returning, and tons and tons of sand baggers making use of the info we will probably never hear from but benefit none the less.

I was very disappointed recently, and realised just how good the layout and discussion is here, when I joined a Pajero Forum which I won't single out, it took 5 days to be approved by admin to post by which time I had almost lost interest, my intro post very polite but I got a 3 word reply to something I said about concerns about electronic 4x4 selection.

That doesn't happen here, the atmosphere is more friendly, and theres some very experienced folks that contribute.

I'd like to see more forums added if it's feasable, this thread suggest it is.

I truly apreciate the help I've found here, it's a good outlet for fellas and ladies alike who love their Patrols to share experience.

Well done to all :)

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The forum is looking better than ever, and theres very useful info and discussions. People feel welcome and theres always new members popping up and old ones returning, and tons and tons of sand baggers making use of the info we will probably never hear from but benefit none the less.

I was very disappointed recently, and realised just how good the layout and discussion is here, when I joined a Pajero Forum which I won't single out, it took 5 days to be approved by admin to post by which time I had almost lost interest, my intro post very polite but I got a 3 word reply to something I said about concerns about electronic 4x4 selection.

That doesn't happen here, the atmosphere is more friendly, and theres some very experienced folks that contribute.

I'd like to see more forums added if it's feasable, this thread suggest it is.

I truly apreciate the help I've found here, it's a good outlet for fellas and ladies alike who love their Patrols to share experience.

Well done to all :)
When you say 'more forums added' do you have suggestions? We have added forums (sections) in recent years in an effort to enhance our appeal.

· Registered
Nissan
718 Posts
When you say 'more forums added' do you have suggestions? We have added forums (sections) in recent years in an effort to enhance our appeal.
Nothing in particular except maybe specific forum on other vehicles if there was enough interest might be worth considering, how would you gauge if there was enough interest though. Survey? Obviously we have this already but not as specific?

TBH it's pretty good enough as it is

· Registered
2012 ZD Auto Y61
68 Posts
I think the culture of the internet has changed somewhat. People are more and more time poor (and have shorter attention spans) since the introduction of smartphones.

Where Facebook does shine over a forum is (as long as the advice is from a reliable source) is the instant fix to a problem. "Hi, I'm stuck on the side of the road, my car is doing x." You'll often see many messages under a post such as this from what seem to be informed sources helping to diagnose a problem.

What it's less good at is technical dives and information sharing. Posts get created and then buried- it's also much harder to find information. Speaking personally I owned my GU for quite some time before registering on this forum but I'd been a "ghost" for months as the amount of available knowledge through posts created years ago was so extensive- I never felt the need to create posts because every time I had a question or a problem someone else had experienced the same thing and the solution had been thought out and documented.

· Premium Member
nissan
8,090 Posts
I never felt the need to create posts because every time I had a question or a problem someone else had experienced the same thing and the solution had been thought out and documented.
That's exactly how a forum should work. No point asking a question that has already been answered dozens of times before when a simple search will provide an abundance of information without waiting for someone to answer. That's exactly what Facebook is no good at, finding old information. Even finding something you read yesterday can at times be impossible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts