Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 100 years ago the war to end all wars started.
62 thousand ANZAC soldiers and millions of others lost their life in a war on the other side of the world, a war that claimed far too much and taught us far too little.

If only every race colour or creed felt the sense of loss that the Australians show, maybe there would be a hell of a lot less troubles in our world, but its not to be, how long will it be before the human race can see past others differences, put aside the bitter insidious fear of others that manifests itself into hatred.

Acceptance and understanding is the only way forward but ignorance and greed fester in the hearts of the few who would put everyone on a path that can only lead to more and more loss and remembrance.

What does the term "Lest we forget" mean?

Its symbolic but meaningless if the lessons are not adhered to, the lessons that difference does not mean wrong, difference does not mean dangerous, difference should be embraced and welcomed.

We are all touched by war in one way or another, some first hand, others second hand but touched non the less, why should we have to keep going on being touched by the meaningless torment of loss.

Lest we forget.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Scrawni Australia's love of the Anzac legacy has waxed and waned over the last 100 years with some PMs and Governments wanting it gone and others promoting it. Today it's a part of our lives for the right reason... Not forgetting the sacrifices made vs waving the victory flag. Read all about it...

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
When I was a child I was often told by my Grandmother of young Uncle George who went off to fight in WW1 and never returned, there were medals she had that somehow were lost over the years. Anyway Uncle George was lost in the battle of Frommelles and found in a mass grave just 3 years ago and after being identified through DNA he is now interred at the Fromelles cemetery, he was basically just a kid, as most of them were.

I lived in a small village in the Bathurst, Orange area for several years and that village had almost every male member of some families wiped out during WW1, it's amazing to drive those areas and see the small cenotaphs in these towns and villages and read just how many were lost from certain families.

I know it was a different war, but I have spent a lot of time in PNG and been to the war cemeteries there, it's the same story all over again, Lae war cemetery would have an average age of the 2500 Aussies buried there of mid 20's.

Unfortunately there will always be those that want to rule the world in some way shape or form that causes arms to be taken up by the righteous to protect the masses, sad but true, I fear that if we think of this in any other way then they gave their lives for nought.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
It would never become meaningless to us Scrawni.

Like Gee, I too lost family in that war, a lot.

Great uncles and cousins however many times removed that I never got to know due to the aggression of others. If they were anything like the ones who did survive we, as a family, lost some truly great, fun, caring and have ago people. And by the accounts of other they were exactly that.

So, lest we forget those who did lay down their lives in a faraway country when called on by their country at that time.

Has nothing to do with what happens after the fact, and I would suggest it is not someone other than an Australian born can understand.

The resurgence in Anzac Day by the younger generation of the older population would then to bear this out.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
It might not be popular now with what we now know but Rolf Harrises song 'two little boys' really sums it up for me. Hopefully john wliamson will sing it to get rolfs version out of the lime light and keep the words being heard. I reckon hearing him sing two little boys then true blue might just cause me to leak a bit from my head.

·
Registered
nissan
3,857 Posts
My grandmothers brothers never came home from WW1. Both stretcher bearers. I researched their records. One died retrieving a fellow aussie at Bullecourt by a mortar shell. The other machine gunned going over the barb wire at Fromelles. I know where they are both buried. I looked into bringing them home years ago. The cost was prohibitive. I let them lay along their mates. My father died in Vietnam on a Huey extraction via a rocket into the helicopter. I was a child then. As an ex RAAF and RAEME Officer I shan't forget my family or those that they shared the war and the last minutes of their life with. Lest We Forget...Nor shall I.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts