Good
Lifting mech and anything associated - signs of water ingress
1995 - 2010

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
8,639 Posts
Not quite a Penguin but I have an OB Hawk 2005 model
Mine has been around the block and by the looks of it the fridge may of come loose once
Good little camper, easy to tow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
nissan
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks men..
I had an 03 Eagle and had water probs..Also hated the pullout beds..Only me and misso now, Im Looking at The 06 outback at Halls Jayco in Mildura..Might have to go for a drive..

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
11,840 Posts
At that age I'd be stripping the roof silicon and redoing it as a precaution. If you've owned one you know what to look for and won't be surprised by some of the "quality" issues with Jayco.
The earlier ones had the two piece roof and the later ones had the single. Personally would go the single piece roof.

·
nissan
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The single piece roof would be good but they are $pen$ive..
They all seem to have quality problems,Jayco, goldstream and avan..Google that one ind Mildura Guey..Let me know what you think..

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
11,840 Posts
The single piece roof would be good but they are $pen$ive..
They all seem to have quality problems,Jayco, goldstream and avan..Google that one ind Mildura Guey..Let me know what you think..
Whack a link up and will have a look when I get home ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,268 Posts
Been looking at the old 80s model jayco ones to upgrade from my home made soft floor camper.
Jump over to myswag.org.
Plenty on there people have done up amd can see main issues with them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
nissan
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its Halls jayco Mildura..
Daughter is on computer and Tv wont let me do it..Sorry.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,160 Posts
This one?

·
nissan
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No LOL.. The 05 model..I'm no wealthy ex school teacher..:p

·
nissan
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right dealership though Rod.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
We had an 03. Had mixed feelings for it but served us well for many years. We too had the shuts with an Eagle and the issue of water ingress due to the slide out beds, hence we moved to the Penguin as there is just 2 of us.
Bed inside was good but also got a bit frustrating after a few years of having it as the only real place to sit and relax, watch TV etc. We found the dinette useless for that but eventually got sick of having to sit on the edge of the bed or up against the wall which means leaning into the canvas. Especially after a few trips where we were stuck inside a lot due to weather.
The fridge vent on the top of the counter was a pain in warmer weather but all early models have this.
Storage space is a bit average even with the fold down wardrobe.
Never had an issue with the roof or the winder system.
Bit heavier on the ball than the bigger models.

We eventually got over the size and space restrictions and having to sit up against the part hard part canvas walls and bought a proper pop top van. If we were to ever downsize again I would be looking at one of these hybrids rather than a soft wall of any brand.

·
nissan
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for advice mate..
We just want something small and quick to set up that will fit in our garage but also like the extra ground clearance of the outback model..
Did you have any troube with water ingress in your Penguin and how did your canvas hold up to years of use?

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Never had water issues, roof or anywhere. Canvas looked almost as good as when we bought it. We bought it about 3 year old from an older couple and had it for about 8 years. Ours was garaged all the time too, well at least under the house out of rain but still copped afternoon sun on front end.

I tossed Jaycos alfoil checkerplate side cladding and also the front wall vinyl cladding and replaced with proper checkerplate. A couple of spots inside where a couple of screws were loose in the flogged out "MDF" wood panels was about the only thing but nothing actually fell apart. Not sure with the 06 but I also put shelves in the fold down wardrobe as we needed more folded clothes space than hanging clothes. Never bothered to take my suit camping. 😜 Put a sealed but vented battery box set up under the bed as it wasn't optioned with Jaycos house battery set up. Only other thing was properly shrouding the fridge vent area and putting fans in the outlet vent to vent heat better. Jayco are terrible at proper fridge compartment set up and the campers are worse with their low bench heights and the fridges not being "tropical" rated.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Wife reckons she would have another one but we started doing more caravan parks for her and had a run of wet trips so that's when being stuck inside with the bed a wall issue drove me nuts and why I'd be reluctant to have another but we can just fit a pop top under the house so don't need something that low.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
8,639 Posts
@festerGU, our fridge has the vent on top too, but the previous owner had blocked it off. If we go away and the weather is cool, I unblock it to add some heat to the van.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Yeah we used it for warmth in winter too, but in summer you could really feel the heat. I decided to make summer conditions as best as possible. They have their work cut out for them from the start. Incorrect mounting, usually cop roaring sun. At least Hawks have fridge on awning side. I was going to set up sun shade on that side but never got around to it.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
8,639 Posts
Yeah we used it for warmth in winter too, but in summer you could really feel the heat. I decided to make summer conditions as best as possible. They have their work cut out for them from the start. Incorrect mounting, usually cop roaring sun. At least Hawks have fridge on awning side. I was going to set up sun shade on that side but never got around to it.
On the latest models the fridge is on the outside because they had issues with the fridge backing into an enclosed annex, but who encloses the annex?
We only use one wall at most.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Same here. Usually use shade cloth outer wall and shade cloth rear end wall. Think we’ve used a full annexe once in continual rain On any of our vans.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts