Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
im somewhat in the process of looking for a new tent. currently have a big leaky cabin canvas tent. im tossing up something like a black wolf turbo or moreso the oztent jet tent. both either the 2.5 or 3 metre versions.
so a few questions
who has one? what size? how many people in that size and is it still roomy enough for gear and the likes? any problems and would you buy again? Does it leak without the fly?

also if anybody knows of a place that sells em for a good price would be nice.
just chasing some info atm but any words of advise welcome.
cheers

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
439 Posts
Hi BeNos
The wife and I have the black wolf turbe 300 plus we got it for 1k.

We also looked at the oz tents aswell but after walking into the oz5 tent I found that I did not have enough head room in the tent as I am 6 foot 4 so there was not alot of room for myself.

We find that if we are only going to be set up for one night we don't extend the tent but any more than that we will extend the tent.
We did not go for the lite version as the wife did not like how much light was let in compared to there other tents.
As for rain we have had no problem with water ingrees into the tent. We have only had a very light dew one night without the fly and only a little bet of water came in as I forget too zip up the vents at the top of the tent(operator error) if it looked like it is going to rain I would recommend putting the fly on on takes about 3min to put on.

It is only the missus and myself and we have a lot of room as floor area is 3mx3m and when extended it is 4.8mx3m we have a heap of room for our gear and then some.
Would we buy one again YES definately.

Only draw back is the weight of the black wolf turbo 300 as the are 30kg but it fitted nicely across the back seats, now I have taken the middle row out and built new draws to accomodate this.

As Truckers has said the southern cross looks the goods, we would have brought one of them but the neareast dealer for us to look at them was over 1300km round trip.

Great Escape Camping, Brisbane, Australia. Tents, Stoves, Sleeping Bags, Beds, Lighting, Furniture, Fridges and Coolers,
Home
Categories | Best Buys, Security And Anti Theft, Travel Luggage, Fashion Accessories, Crossbody And Shoulder Bags, Backpacks, Daypacks, Duffle Bags, Hydration Packs, Laptop Bags, Camera Bags, Travel Accessories, Camping Swags, Handheld Gps, Camping T

Take alook as theses places and you could get yourself a bargin.

Only advice would be to have a budget and look at all the tents in that range and and compare all options that can be brought later when funds come avaliable and then look some more.
Don't forget to take a note book and camera so you can jot down notes pros and cons of each type and also take pictures inside and out.

Hope this helps mate. Happy tent hunting.

Cheers

wayne

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Think of good Canvas tents as an investment, more than a FAWK THEY ARE EXPENSIVE...

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Yeh true,

Take the philosophy of young festival goers. ie pyramid rock a year ago, people just left there $20 tents with all their **** there. hundreds of thousands of tents and peoples belongings were just left there. The place was a major mess. Mainly because the main acts pulled out and the storm overhead was huge. Was close to major mayhem. lol

Sometimes you need to price things so people dont become irresponsible and throw it away.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I remember going camping with a bloke in his canvas tent, when he opened it up IT STANK of mould and mildew and had a strange fungus growing on it.

Who was that ? LOL

Had to drive into town to buy several cans of Glen20 to fumigate it. Got sidetracked at the pub on the way back to camp too.......

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I remember going camping with a bloke in his canvas tent, when he opened it up IT STANK of mould and mildew and had a strange fungus growing on it.

Who was that ? LOL

Had to drive into town to buy several cans of Glen20 to fumigate it. Got sidetracked at the pub on the way back to camp too.......
that was the grangers camping 9x9, what a fawkin smell it was too :angryfir: ... swag for this weekends trip :)
our SC one is still going... bout 8yrs old now... still looks new :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
+1 for southern cross. Bought ours back in 2001 I think...since then have got both small and large awnings and the gazebo that they no longer make. Never had a drop of water where it shouldn't be. Did have to get the zip runners replaced in the last year or 2 tho...still not bad for 10 years or so though. I can put it up on my own too...it's an ultimate trekker...4mx3m.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts