Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if there is any info about on the p40 motors. I've tried Nissan and the RAA and no luck at all. Are these motors that rare, are they any good or are they total crud ? Those of you that do have them, whats your thoughts please.

Also this brings me to wondering is it going to be impossable to get simple parts like gaskets and such as I was thinking of fixing all the oil leaks. And what options do I have if I need to rebuild/replace the motor ? Damn it, I was wanting to fix this crud plugger up.

Are these P40's really that bad and hard to fix ?? I was lead to thought that they were meant to be an older type of motor that had been around forever and were tough as. So any info on this motor or a easy budget minded motor that you can change to would be great. Any thoughts or opinions would be awesome infact. Also does anyone know if they are a low or high commpression motor ?

What other type of motors can be fitted/modded easy and without huge costs just to have a nice old 4x4 ? The body is in worse shape than the motor but why spend all that money on the body if I can't get repairs on the mech side of things. I'm so frustrated I feel like just dumping the car at the wreckers.

Sorry to rant/complain folks, you have been very helpful to a total newbie. I really do like the car but I want to be able to fix it when it needs it. I was feeling good about the old trol but now I'm just back to frustrated and thinking of getting something more common or maybe just not bothering with a 4x4. :headwall:

·
Registered
208 Posts
the p40 is a good reliable engine, you can get parts from repco or any of those places eg rebuild kits and other bits, most mq/mk's in this country came out with the 2.8 L28 engine and the p40 is heaps more powerful but they are rare these days if you get one rebuilt it will outlast most other engines, iam also interested in what other people think of them i have also searched for info on the P40 but the is not much but they used to be in a 6 ton truck along time ago there is no info in the bible

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Piggen,
so parts to repair/rebuild the P40 are not that hard to come by ? Thats better and what I wanted to hear. I just got so frustrated after talking to Nissan and the RAA today. Nissan said they knew nothing about the motor and pretty much implied that once the motor was tired that was the end of it and that no parts could be had.

I don't really want to do a V6 or V8 conversion as the car goes fast enough for me (I'm no speed freak lol). Just want to fix it up and have a good afordable but reliable truck for getting out and about with the family campin and wildlife explorations/photography. I reckon I'd like to put a 5spd in it rather than the 4spd but thats about it.

I wonder if anyone has done a rebuild on one of these and what it costs roughly. Though mines not blowing any smoke or anything yet, but I'm going to have to spend a fair bit on the body and inside the car and just don't want to waste my money if the motor isn't worth it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Mitcon, The P40 engine in the MQ\MK range of nissans is differant to the P40 that was used in the G60 nissan patrol. Firstly the early engine was front mounted to the chassie and the MQ P40 is centre mounted, so the older blocks wont fit the MQ\MK. Also, the early engines had timing gears and the newer ones run a timing chain and the cams are differant as well as the newer ones turn in oppersit dirrection. the dizzy is the same as the gearing on the newer cam is cut differant to suit.The water pumps are also differant.

But the bore and stroke are the same so therefore the pistons and rods are the same. The heads are also the same, but differant intake manifold. All P40 engines are built as low compression engines and the standard heads arn't designed to run lead free fuel and will recess the valves if run for a long time on unleaded.
With mine I rebored the block and stuck in new oversized pistons, had the head fitted with steel inserts, new valves, flowed and shaved the head to boost the compression so that i could get the full affect of the lead free fuel
I also sent the cam away and it was given a regrind to differant specs added a 350 Holley and extractors and 2.5 inch free flow exhaust. This motor has some serious grunt and massive torque ( pulls away from both the new nissan and toyota turbo powered 4X4's) but is a little expensive on fuel, the next step is to change the dizzy to a electronic one as I have to keep setting the points. Dont know what it realy cost because I rebuilt the complete MK from the chassie up and just kept buying the things I needed as the project went along.​

·
Registered
398 Posts
we never even got the p40 in uk only l28 and later the rb30 and diesel motors we always lose out on the big motors over here, must be something to do with petrol prices works out at just over A$2 per litre not cheep

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, some info about p40
bore: 85.7mm stroke:114.3 capacity:3956cc ignition:1-5-3-6-2-4
spark type:bp5es-11 ngk filler: 0.8-0.9mm tighting: 20n.m/11-14lb.ft
compress: 8:1 engine low rot: 650rpm timing(advance): 10degree
valve filler(warm): gas:0.38mm exhaust:0.38mm
may be interesting the p40 is the only engine for MQ patrols here in Iran
because of cheap petrol (0.1 us$ per litr!)

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
I am short on time atm so can't give lot's of info...will post more later.

But the G60 inline-6 is not a P40 but rather a "P" engine. People are often confused and call the G60 engine a P40 but it is not. Pretty much everything is available for the P40, it was sold in large quantities in 3rd world countries. It was also put in a Nissan forklift. On top of that the PPU forklift motor is very similar to the P40, even some parts interchange.

To mod the P40 and get more power look to headers, electronic ign. (kits available) and a Mega Squirt EFI. I have driven modd'ed P40 Patrols and it feels, sounds and drives like a small block v8! It is a kick ass motor that will last a lifetime if cared for, stick with it!

·
Registered
173 Posts
P40 Motor!!!

Hi Mitcon
Well my P40 motor was rebuilt by Lube Mobile South Australia in May 1997, at a cost of $2400.00 and is still running like a new one after 200.000Kms sweet as mate!
It is run on LPG all the time too.
I have the 5 speed in it too, its the MK.
So not sure what parts are available now, apart from what the other guys on
the forum are saying, but sounds pretty good to me mate:cup:
Good luck anyhow.
Mike.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well again you guys have made my day as I have become quite found of this old truck already. I just got very frustrated and worried from what I was told that I wouldn't be able to fix her up with the current motor.

Which is the better gear box, the 4 or 5 speed. I've no idea what work has been done to the motor or head, but the gas system has been on it for 15years. To be honest it seems to run quite ok so I guess theres no point getting any work done on it right away. But I am very happy it CAN be rebuilt, so I think I will start on the rust and body work as it seems it's going to be worth it.

If the 5speed is a better unit I think I'd like to have it if they aren't too costly to get and fit, will this make it use more fuel ? Asked around a bit at body shops for quotes to get the rust fixed. Man, so many people laughed and gave me silly quotes, but I did run into someone I knew and they gave me a quote half of what the others wanted and for what sounds a great kind of paint that wont scratch or chip easy when goin bush.

I don't know about modding the P40 as such, sounds really expensive. But would be interesting if there was much that could be done to make it use a little less fuel. Dang thing sure is a thirsty beast.

Really wanna say thanks again folks, I think I'll just forget about asking Nissan anything from now on and come here first :bigthumb:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Mitcon
I have the MQ/K Patrol Service manual, and the Supplement which has the 5 speed gearbox, so if you need any copying just send me a PM.
Yep put the 5 speed in mate, you will defo get better economy.
Cheers Mike.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great to hear Mike, I was just asking you about this in another thread lol. Would be a little better cruzing speed also ? And I would love better economy, I'm only getting 250k to a full tank of petrol (it's tuned for gas though so doesn't seem to run as good on petrol)

Seeing as the MK's came in a 5 speed as well as the 4 I wonder if the 5 will just bolt straight on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Mitcon, to go to the 5 speed you will require the tail shafts with the gearbox as the 5 speed box is 4 to 5 inches longer than the 4 speed. This is to accomadate the fifth gear. shorter rear shaft and longer front shaft. You could go and get yours cut and shunted if you cant buy good second hand ones. Fifth gear is an overdrive and will drop the revs when traveling in fifth and will reduce the beasts thirst for fuel. As for the fit, goes straight in. Same floor pan as the gear leavers are in the same position on both boxes and the mounts that come with the five speed will bolt on to the four speed chassie position.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, anyone got a very rough ball park idea of what a 5 spd and tail shaft would be worth ?

Just thinking if I'm pulling the 4spd out for a new clutch (which it needs pretty bad), if I can wangle the cost of the 5 spd and just change em over while I'm at it (this make even more sense to me if I'm paying someone to do the clutch for me as I'm guessing it wouldn't prolly cost anymore seeing as they are dropping the gearbox to do the clutch anyway)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Wayne
Not sure what a 5 speed will cost Ya!
But Duggie's pretty right with what you have to change.
If you need any info I will scan an send you it from my Manual mate!!
Cheers Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Wayne
I will Pm you a Pic of the 5 speed box from my Manual, and you will understand why Duggie has made those suggestions Mate.
Cheers Mike

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds great, just gotta find a good one cheap enough now lol. Off hand anyone know if the clutch kit be the same of different ? sorry for the newbies q's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts