Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 2008 3l TD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
attached photo of peeling on my 08 GU /45k. Anyone else come across this ? Just checking prior to talking to Nissan. Main areas - front passenger and rear passenger arches. Slight start on front drivers side. Not on rest of body, just arches.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Did you buy it new or was it secondhand? Has it had some damage and a paint repair?

I bought my 2005 when it was only one year old from a Nissan dealer. I saw a little bit of paint touch up work and it had been cut and polished. I found later that it had a front flare repaired and badly painted but the dealer denies that it is their problem and says it is not covered under warranty (even when it was still under their 3 year warranty).

So make sure that it is covered.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Now I can see the photo and it looks nasty.
If that's on on all four plastic flares then it looks like a factory problem with the paint or primer.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
would be a number of them doing it if it was a factory problem as they're painted in batches.

to me it looks like there's a lack of texture in the plastic which tells me that the flare has more than one coat of paint on it. Probably meaning the flares have been damaged and the vehicle repaired before it was sold to you. Happens quite regularly - did you ever wonder why some brand new cars, especially silver have one or more panels which just seem like a different colour to the rest of the car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paint peeling

Thanks all. Front passenger is the worst and in sequence after that of rear passenger and then front driver side. Rear driver side has not a blemish. Brand new from dealer. No mention of any repairs or resprays. If this is not due to factory problem, then I might start to get paranoid about the dealer and "what else" - I am trying to remember the expression on his face when I left the yard !! Saying that the car is going great. **** should I have said that ....Keep you posted.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I was talking to a pannel-beater/spray-painter who said that it is not uncommon for them to do paint repair on brand new vehicles that have been scratched during transport. But surely that is just likely to be on one pannel or side only.

Regardless of possible damage or repairs, if you bought it as a "new" vehicle then I would take it back quick and complain loudly.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
It is quite common for cars to be painted prior to being sold from new. The dealership I used to work for even had it's own Panel Shop.:D

It's a little hard to tell by the pictures but I'm kind of thinking that it's factory paint flaking as the rubber mould between the body and the mould is not flaking and 99% of the time that would get painted with the mould if it was touched up. It still has the texture as you can tell by the gloss variation. If it's straight from factory then that mould is painted separately which is why it's not flaking too.

It kind of looks like the base coat is separating from the plastic not paint flaking off the original paint which is what you would see if it had been touched up. The flares come painted from factory when you order new ones so it's not like they have bought new ones and got them painted either.

It's not unusual for one car in the assembly line to have a failure like this. Most plastic adhesion promoters are transparent to so they may have forgotten to paint a couple with this prior to putting the colour down.

Cheers Mick.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,000 Posts
On my 2008 the finish of the paint on the flares is totally different to that on the steel panels - almost a satin/matt finish. I've noticed that most GU IVs I look at are like this. Which leads me to think that the flares are sourced already painted from an external supplier (like most parts in Japanese vehicles). It's just one of the reasons why the build quality of Patrols is inferior to Landcruisers.

Not an issue for me as my flares are taking the brunt of the damage from my 'play' offroading at Glasshouse Mountains every other weekend, eventually I'll rub them back and get them refinished.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
On my 2008 the finish of the paint on the flares is totally different to that on the steel panels - almost a satin/matt finish. I've noticed that most GU IVs I look at are like this. Which leads me to think that the flares are sourced already painted from an external supplier (like most parts in Japanese vehicles). It's just one of the reasons why the build quality of Patrols is inferior to Landcruisers.

Not an issue for me as my flares are taking the brunt of the damage from my 'play' offroading at Glasshouse Mountains every other weekend, eventually I'll rub them back and get them refinished.
Pretty much every manufacturer including Toyota get their plastics painted from an outside source. It has been happening for years. The paint on Toyotas are a lot lower quality then Nissan's. This has been a common fact for many years also. 90% of paint break down on Toyota's is factory paint. On the other hand most paint failures on Nissan's is usually where it's been painted before. Not all as I said before the above looks like a factory fault. BTW I was a paint shop foreman for a Toyota / Lexus authorized Body Repair shop so i've had a little bit of experience with Toyota Paints.

On the flares being a satin finish. They are and it's because they have a textured plastic which is less prone to chips to what a smooth plastic is. The texture takes away a bit of the gloss. This is not inferior paint work it is meant to be like that. Some of the Mitsubishi Pajero's, Triton's, Toyota Prado's, Hilux's to name a few have the same textures and satin finish on bumper bars and moulds.

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great to get the replies. Mick you seem to know your stuff and I feel a bit better about it being a factory problem. Brought it in for the wedding photos today. ( + got the wheels done) Awaiting phone call from Nissan in regard to paintwork.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
The moulds are also not painted - at least on the 07 they get ordered according to what colour the vehicle is, the colour is in the rubber itself.

Has the vehicle lived in a carport where it got direct sunlight on the passenger side only maybe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Yom, quite the opposite. It is under a carport but the worst side is against the house , so no direct sunlight plus its a double carport.
Still waiting on the call back.

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
I have a 08 I burnt silver with paint starting to fade in the same spots. Im going to ring the Mob that applied the paint protection as it is now their problem as their product failed.
I also have an 08 in burnt silver and went for that paint protection B/S but noticed when washing it that you could still see where the stickers were on various locations on the body so their "protection" did not even remove the reminant adhesive from a label! I was told the protection was needed since modern paints were not as robust as previously due to some ingredients not being used due to environmental/health reasons................just another way to rip off the consumer............

As for the original post, my guess would be a dealer repair rather than factory mistake.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
The moulds are also not painted - at least on the 07 they get ordered according to what colour the vehicle is, the colour is in the rubber itself.

Has the vehicle lived in a carport where it got direct sunlight on the passenger side only maybe?
It's about time they started doing that. I know a lot of the time you cant even buy the rubber mould without buying the whole flare which is why most people just paint the rubber if they paint the flares as there pretty must impossable to remove and replace without damaging them.

Even if the car was parked in direct sunlight 7 days a week that wont cause the paint to flake like that. The seperation is caused by either not using plastic adhesion promotor, not using the correct adhesion promotor for the plastic, plastic not being matured eg release agent not removed from plastic caused by not baking the plastic or cleaning it properly and probably the most unlikey but still possable a reaction with the adhesion promotor and the water based colour.

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
I also have an 08 in burnt silver and went for that paint protection B/S but noticed when washing it that you could still see where the stickers were on various locations on the body so their "protection" did not even remove the reminant adhesive from a label! I was told the protection was needed since modern paints were not as robust as previously due to some ingredients not being used due to environmental/health reasons................just another way to rip off the consumer............

As for the original post, my guess would be a dealer repair rather than factory mistake.....
Paint protection is just an over priced wax that does no more then your normal conventional wax that you buy at your local automotive parts store.

But no polish, wax or cutting compound will remove residue from stickers though you need to remove it with wax & grease remover (prepsol).

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
Yeah I have a burnt silver and just gave her a wash this arv and noticed the front guards are starting to fade quite badly..Will be back to Nissan for a warranty claim

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
Paint protection is just an over priced wax that does no more then your normal conventional wax that you buy at your local automotive parts store.

But no polish, wax or cutting compound will remove residue from stickers though you need to remove it with wax & grease remover (prepsol).

Cheers Mick.
Thanks Mick,
You confirmed my suspicions. They started of wanting $900 for this waxing, eventually they stated they had it on special this month for $150...............:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts