Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Painting Alloy Bullbar

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rogue5861 
#1 ·
I know there is probably no point as the "Man" is trying to remove them. But i wanna paint my stock alloy bullbar on the GQ matt black. I have heard of LIC 40 but think it may be out of the budget.

Do i need to ruff up the bar with sandpaper? do i need a clear coat over the coat? I do not want a shiney finish as the alloy one already shines a fair bit in the sun or under a street light. Removing the bullbar to paint is probably a good idea. So will need to sort that out aswell.

While im at it i will probable chop off the bottom part of the bullbar as it gets in the way on steep inclines.

Cheers Rick

#2 ·
Yes you can paint 'em mate. Just get the right kinda primer and you're away...

Oh, and the Man (or WO man - Julia is her name after all) will NEVER be able to take your bar away!

#5 ·
I painted my alu roof rack with no primer just black auto enamel and it's hanging on really well. I did sand blast it first though.

#4 ·
VHT makes an excellent self priming satin black bull bar and chassis paint. This stuff is super strong and it won't scratch or mark easily, they market it as having a ceramic hard finish once properly cured.
I have used this paint a few times and it does everything the manufacture says it will do. Cheers.

#6 ·
So sand it a bit (rough or smooth finish) then use auto enamel? Want brands are better? I can get cheap prices through sprint auto parts.

Cheers for replys

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.