Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know nothing about painting.

I want to tidy the girl up a bit. Gave it a good wash and polish yesterday and it looks great. However the genuine nissan bar looks a bit shabby now with a heap of chips and rub marks. Is there a DIY alternative to repaint, or do I need to take it to the pro's.
Same goes for the rear bar. Its reasonably new but got a big rub and scratch on one side. Its taken one layer of paint off but there is still one underneath.
I also have afew little piant chips that I want to sort out on the body. Do I need to prime them first or just give them a lick of paint?
And whats the best for painting inside wheel arches? I have obviously driven through some conrete slurry on site somewhere and in trying to take it off I have removed some of the black thick coat stuff in the wheel arches.

Cheers,

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 2005
49 Posts
I took my ute apart - triple m tray and ARB bullbar and took it all to evolution coatings at Coopers Plains. They powder coated everything (cashy). The bullbar came up almost like new. I'm still very happy with it. I'll find a piccy and post it.

They are sometimes a bit hard to get onto, but they were cheaper than anyone else around the general area. The biggest killer in jobs like those is the sand blasting as it seems to cost more than the coating itself.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 2005
49 Posts
Also got a before and after of part of the tray. The after shot is in the rain, but you can see the difference!! So yeah my opinion for bar work - powder coating all the way - doesn't matter where from as long as you can get a good deal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
There are a couple of options one being as said above going with powdercoat. The other option if you want to have a go yourself is to get the bar work sandblasted and repaint it yourself. There is a 2 pack out called LIC40 which is actually a harder, tougher and more durable paint then Powdercoat and it can go straight over bare metal or sandblasted metal with no primer required.

If you have a look though this thread there plenty of information on it.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/body-paint-56/safety-yellow-recovery-hooks-57175/

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
yeah i know mick!! but be damned if i can source it in WA :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys.
I wipped my sliders off over the break and gave them a sand prime and paint, came up good, but Im buggered if I'd have a go at the bull bar, could make a real mess of it I reckon haha. I will check the powder coating for a price.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
go with LIC40, apparently once dried properly you can hit it with a hammer and not chip it, plus so easy to prepare just rub back with coarse sand paper and hit it with the paint

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Just a follow up. I sourced the paint at

West Coast Automotive Supplies
Unit 1/203 Collier Road
Bayswater
(08) 9375 6451

Cheers for the info Mick!!!

Paint was $73 for 4 litres, witht he hardener and thinners all up came to 120 odd.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Just a follow up. I sourced the paint at

West Coast Automotive Supplies
Unit 1/203 Collier Road
Bayswater
(08) 9375 6451

Cheers for the info Mick!!!

Paint was $73 for 4 litres, witht he hardener and thinners all up came to 120 odd.
Good to here mate.

If you have any questions just send me a PM

Cheers Mick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts