Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front bar was black when purchased but was powder coated to a colour "Closer" to the silver/gold two tone. It is not really a very close match and now in places where there have been scrapes and the winch rope has rubbed it is starting to get some surface rust so I though I might respray it the correct colour, Does anyone know what the best method is to get paint to adhere to a powder coated surface.

Tony

·
Registered
nissan
1,176 Posts
Just prep it as you would any other surface you wish to paint,a bit of sanding and cleaning the surface goes a long way to a nice lasting finish.

Ive even painted over powder coat with cheap paint, (sometimes without sanding, just the cleaning) and it looked good & didnt fall off.

You didn't want to look at getting it re powder coated ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Normally I'd say just rub it down as above and repaint it but because it's been painted now twice already it's starting to get a bit thick. This is not normally a problem if it's the side of your 4wd or something that's not prone to stone chips. Because it's the front of your 4wd it cops more stones then the rest of your 4wd so the thicker the paint gets the more prone to chipping it is.

I'd be recommending you get it sandblasted and either powder coated or if you get it sprayed I'd recommend a ceramic clear like PPGs Cerami Clear. This type of clear is heaps harder then your normal 2 componant clear coat or baked enamel finish from the factory. It's less likely to chip and doesn't scratch at all from branches, shrubs etc.

Cheers ****.

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Mate its possible to paint over powder coat. As mentioned prepare the surface ie sand smooth removal all the old paint then sand the powder coat. Wipe the object down with thinners. Then try an industrial quick dry enemal paint. This will dry hard and with a couple of coats looks great. The only thing is that it will chip and scratch a lot easier than powder coat.

As mentioned in this tread if you want a good job get it sand blasted and re powder coated by a quality powder coater, you could also look at getting it electro static painted or even chromed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I did not want to go the powder coating route again, as that was the problem in the beginning where the local powder coating co could not get a good match on the colour, I figure if I paint it at least I can touch it up or respray myself when the enevitable chips and scratches occur.

I will go talk to the sand blasters and see what is involved in stripping back to metal.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
52 Posts
Spray it with rubber ute liner, tough as nails wont chip peel or scratch, some aplicators will give you a ten year guarantee. Ive had my bar work done its brilliant.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,024 Posts
Spray it with rubber ute liner, tough as nails wont chip peel or scratch, some aplicators will give you a ten year guarantee. Ive had my bar work done its brilliant.
pics would be good!

how does it impact on doing a re-balance?

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Powder coating is c%$p!

You would be better removing it all, (although you could just remove and flaking/peeling powder coat) and for a good finish use a 2 pac expoxy primer then a 2 pac polyurethane top coat and spray it if you can (cheap suction feed gun from supercheap for single use is ok).
If the polyurethane is to glossy you can add a flatening agent to it.

You can do touch ups if you need and while its in good order it will never let the bar rust.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts