Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

The company replaced my Panhard rod bushes last year and I started to get a wobble again recently when braking and when they tired to replace the bush the bolt was rusted solid and when they removed it the entire bolt got stripped damaging all the threads (not sure if this was true or they had fixed it with the wrong threads previously).

Any idea how this can be fixed. Note that this bolt is welded onto the diff so it can't just be changed.

Attached are some images.

Regs
CL

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
1,207 Posts
You could tap a new but slightly smaller diameter thread , then use a Helicoil to return it to the original diameter, problem solved :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks A4B for the prompt reply.

By adding a Helicoil will it be as strong?

Have to see if Helicoils are available in Sri Lanka.

Is this a common issue that many Nissan patrol owners face

Regs
CL

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
681 Posts
Helicoils are great but meant for a female thread, seeing as this is a male thread i would be inclined to cut it off further than the damaged stud, then i would drill the centre out tap to the desired bolt size (is it a m16?)then have it bolt in, or if you like get some all thread cut to length and lock tight in the hole you tapped at the same length of the old thread.

Will be difficult but just step up in drill sizes untill you reach the desired hole size for example from memory if its m16 standard thread its a 14mm drill bit.
Look at pic and i hope it makes sense.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,357 Posts
You could tap a new but slightly smaller diameter thread , then use a Helicoil to return it to the original diameter, problem solved
The external size of helicoils is non standard and they use special taps made just for installing helicoils. As already mentioned, they are not suitable for male thread repairs. Similar to helicoils, you can get thread repair sleeves which are suitable for repairing both male and female threads but they reduce the stud strength to the next size bolt smaller although for larger studs you need to go down two sizes. They work with standard taps and dies instead of special helicoil taps. You prepare the stud by running a die down it of the next size smaller with the same thread pitch and then coat the newly cut thread with epoxy and screw the sleeve on. Some people try welding them on to maintain the original stud strength but I'd say that if strength is an issue then thread repair sleeves are the wrong repair method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts