Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Panhard Rod Troubles

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  burning love 
#1 ·
Late last year I began to have the patrol death wobbles. Found the panhard rod bushes were cactus. I ended up having problems getting the nuts off the chassis end (used a breaker bar and jack to no avail). Ended up taking the car to a local mechanic who got it off and replaced the bushes and refitted for about $100.

Last night towing the tinny at about 100km/h the lower mounting nut came off. Only just managed to stay on the road and madly swapping lanes. Lucky nobody else was next to me (dual carriageway) or it happened on the way to work as I live in the hills. I would have ended up in the trees or had a head on.

No damage to the rod and I have managed to find a bush kit local that I can press in today. Anybody had this happen to them? Before I go and have words to the mechanic for not tightening correctly.

#2 ·
Yes it's a pretty common thing, lucky no one was hurt, they have a habit of coming loose, I'd say if they're were replaced last year sometime the mechanic has tightened them up but it has gradually worked its way loose, use some lock tite on the threads and replace the pan hard nut with a new genuine one.

#4 ·
Same has happened to mine, I drilled my nut and put a split pin in it.

#8 ·
Geezus you were lucky to keep it upright. That would be bloody frightening. I've got loctite on mine and properly torqued up but even without that previously I've never had that happen.

Can't help but wonder if this is a symptom of over tightening at some stage.

#9 · (Edited)
Geezus you were lucky to keep it upright. That would be bloody frightening. I've got loctite on mine and properly torqued up but even without that previously I've never had that happen.

Can't help but wonder if this is a symptom of over tightening at some stage.
I'm no expert but the bush sits proud of the panhard rod housing and has a lip on it. So you tighten a nut with a washer down on rubber, nolathane etc. When that bush material deteriorates the nut must not tension against anything? Is that right?

Edit: the nut must tension against the cupped washer that sits against the panhard rod bush housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.