Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Y62 LE Platinum, lately parked underground, connected the battery to a float charger. Left the country, I may use the car once every 6 month approx.

Do i need to ask someone to regularly power it on? how often and how long?

Thanks

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,184 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about the engine. You already have the battery covered, so now you only need to worry about the tyres. If you can't put the vehicle on axle stands to get the weight off the tyres, pump them up to max pressure (50psi minimum) to reduce the possibility of getting flat spots.

By far the most engine wear occurs during start-up, so minimising the number of cold starts will reduce wear.

Might be worth considering doing oil changes every 6 months as well.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,423 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about the engine. You already have the battery covered, so now you only need to worry about the tyres. If you can't put the vehicle on axle stands to get the weight off the tyres, pump them up to max pressure (50psi minimum) to reduce the possibility of getting flat spots.

By far the most engine wear occurs during start-up, so minimising the number of cold starts will reduce wear.

Might be worth considering doing oil changes every 6 months as well.
I have done OS work trips up to 7 months, all I did was make sure fuel tanks were full and tyres up to pressure, no problems, you will be fine I reckon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is new and good information to me to know about the tires and flat spots, I use to notice flat spots but they usually gets fixed after driving for some time, can it be permanent?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,423 Posts
It is new and good information to me to know about the tires and flat spots, I use to notice flat spots but they usually gets fixed after driving for some time, can it be permanent?
No not really, but it can be very inconvenient short term.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,184 Posts
No not really, but it can be very inconvenient short term.
It can become a permanent issue if left long enough. I've seen brand new vehicles which had to have their tyres replaced under warranty after sitting in a stock yard for more than a year.

I've also seen cases where manufacturers would recommend pressures in excess of 60psi when the vehicle is in "preservation mode", but this depends on the specific tyre spec.

I would just pump it up to whatever the maximum allowable pressure on the sidewall is, normally this is around 350kPa (51psi).

Just remember to deflate it a bit before driving any significant distance.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,423 Posts
It can become a permanent issue if left long enough. I've seen brand new vehicles which had to have their tyres replaced under warranty after sitting in a stock yard for more than a year.

I've also seen cases where manufacturers would recommend pressures in excess of 60psi when the vehicle is in "preservation mode", but this depends on the specific tyre spec.

I would just pump it up to whatever the maximum allowable pressure on the sidewall is, normally this is around 350kPa (51psi).

Just remember to deflate it a bit before driving any significant distance.
True, but depends on the quality of the tyre I suppose, as said I've worked OS for up to 7 months leaving the patrol in the garage with no one looking after it at 40psi and had no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts