Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
1992 GQ series 2 TB42E 5 speed
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys i know this topic comes up every now and then but this issue is rather annoying

I purchased a 92 GQ just this past weekend and everything worked perfectly. took her home and gave it a proper wash and now the parker and tail light fuse circuit is shorting in some way. as any attempt to turn the parkers on pops the 10 amp fuse instantly and rather violently, even a 15 amp fuse blew in its place while troubleshooting. i have checked the stereo ground and trailer plug wiring and the main light loom itself, all appears to have good earth. the front parkers have some intercepting blocks on them to run the blinkers in the bullbar but they all work perfectly.

the headlights, blinkers, reverse lights and brake lights all work. but not being able to drive the new rig at night is rather annoying.

Does anyone have any other hints or tips on what to look out for?
edit i have also removed the indicator stalk and cleaned it to no avail. i have ordered a new one in the hope that fixes my issue

Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
Gday nick i experienced a similar problem with rear tail lights blowing globes,
I would suggest lay under the back unwrap the electrical tape there you will discover some disturbing things like i did馃檭 cut resolder fresh wires and im certain your problem will be fixed. Regarding indicator stalk i think its safe to say that in this instance its a wiring issue and not the stalk issue, but always handy to have spare parts for the future.

Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
Disconnect plug under passenger seat, will narrow it down to front half or rear half.

Common suspects are bullbar lights, trailer plug and any aftermarket rear lights (ie in rear bar).

If it was just park lights you鈥檇 add stereo and recent clutch replacement to the list (moreso in GUs).

Disconnect everything you possibly can, if fault stops then plug in items one by one until you narrow it down further.

It is extremely unlikely to be indicator stalk.

Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
If you can, put the Patrol in complete darkness when you switch on the parkers, while someone looks around the vehicle. If you're lucky you might see a small spark where it's shorting out.

Reactions: GQ bush man

Registered
Disconnect plug under passenger seat, will narrow it down to front half or rear half.

Common suspects are bullbar lights, trailer plug and any aftermarket rear lights (ie in rear bar).

If it was just park lights you鈥檇 add stereo and recent clutch replacement to the list (moreso in GUs).

Disconnect everything you possibly can, if fault stops then plug in items one by one until you narrow it down further.

It is extremely unlikely to be indicator stalk.
+1 for exactly what Leethal said. - (except I don't get why a clutch replacement would blow parkers - so he knows more than I do)

Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
+1 for exactly what Leethal said. - (except I don't get why a clutch replacement would blow parkers - so he knows more than I do)
Haha! Yes I reread that it does sound odd.

It鈥檚 very common when putting the gearbox back up in the tunnel, refitting gearbox trim surrounds etc etc for people to pinch the little wire to the light on the side of the ashtray, which shorts the park circuit. When customer complains, old mate mechanic says 鈥榥ah mate clutch has nothin to do with lights鈥欌

If I had a dollar for every time I鈥檝e seen this I could buy a 鈥. Um well maybe a pint but the point is it happens a bit 馃槆

But I digress, hope the OP is going well with his search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts