Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetically...

For years I've just assumed I could easily pass this if I had to.

Then yesterday a mate suggested that on the wrong day I may have an issue...

Does the Codeine in over-the-counter Neurofen Plus (and similar) show up to label me as a drug crazed psychopath (or similar)?

When I had a crook tooth issue a few years ago, I became almost immune to Panadeine Forte, I could have 4 on an empty stomach and that would just take the edge off it.

That is long since sorted, but every now and then I wake up with a pretty sore lower back, or a, um, Sunday morning headache... And have the Neurofen to help sort it. Now we're not talking weekly or anything here, but just wondering if it shows up as something more sinister, and how long it stays in your system anyway? And for that matter, going back to when I had the prescription from the dentist, would the testers accept that as a legitimate circumstance?

Just wondering as in smaller amounts codeine is available over the counter, and if not abused I guess is harmless enough.

For that matter what about the stuff in cold&flu tablets that they reckon people concentrate to make some concoction? I think it was pseudo ephedrine or something. I'm fortunate to rarely get colds but I'd hate to have one at the wrong time if I couldn't take anything to help with the symptoms if I had a job where testing was commonplace.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
'every now and then I wake up with a pretty sore lower back, or a, um, Sunday morning headache.'

Just a thought as an aside, do you drink a large glass of water before bedtime? This is an ancient remedy for leg and back pain on waking ... try it, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Leethal I suspect if you took 4 Panadeine Forte and were tested you might test positive. That's a fair amount of paracetamol to take in one hit also.

Might pay to ask a pharmacist or a doctor.

·
Registered
nissan
184 Posts
just tell the person doing the taking the sample that you have had some painkillers, tell em what brand and when. If it shows up at the correct level on the test all is ok.

they can send off the test and get it analyzed to see exactly what the drug is.
if is only what you say you have taken its all good.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,293 Posts
Yeah it can show up the FIL's missus runs a clinic that does a lot of medicals, She always gives me grief and says don't take this don't take that , from what I under stand it does not always but can stay in the system for a few days. You just tell them that you have had some and she's apples.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great that's good to know, thanks fellas. I didn't mean to make it sound like its a regular thing, could be a month or two or more apart, just my luck it would be a couple of days before a test.

To be honest Esty I don't usually drink water before going to bed, I often think I should but then forget when I actually go to bed. My back actually got a lot better after I STOPPED going to a chiropractor... It's just the odd niggle and only in the mornings, but often I couldn't wear lace up boots as I could bend enough to tie laces, so I always wear slip ons. Within a couple of hours it's fine though.

And the Sunday morning thing every now and again is my own silly fault... But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one there :)

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
one of the guys here at work failed a random Pee test last year . it was after taking a couple of neurofen plus tablets for a headache only house before , he just did as the other guys suggested and told them exactly what he had taken and what time . the test was sent for further analysis for confirmation and we never heard anything more , so it must have been fine . nothing else has ever come up about it .

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
The rule where I worked was they ask about whatever you have taken and just be upfront and tell them...as some pain killers give a false positive to amphetamines and potential some opiates. They would then send the sample of the lab to measure the quantities etc to ensure your not addicted to Painkillers.

Cheers

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
Yeah as others said, everytime I have to take a piss test at work, you have to disclose any and all prescription medication you've taken in the last few weeks. As it can / will show up. They can send it away to get further testing to confirm exactly what it is.

A bodybuilder bloke at work once got stood down for a week once because all his workout shakes and supplements showed up as illicit drugs lol.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,349 Posts
Yeh my gf (senior nurse) says even small amounts of codeine show up in these tests. And so does cold&flu, tell them you have taken these and they send away for testing.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I do drugs test and as long as you put down any medication you have taken with docs prescription there should be no issue. It's not just illegal drugs its also to see if your taking medication for injury that you have not told the company about.

We have to piss test with doc watching and that's all ways a bit difficult. Blood test is also done for AIDs, parasite's, blood cell and toxicity I think.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
My dyslexic brain read the title as passing a DNA test hahahahaha. I thought this had something to do with testing your kids lol.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
A panadiene forte tablet or over the counter paracetamol & codeine or iboprophen and codeine tablet will give you the same positive as a recreational dose of opiate. They'll probably stand you down for a positive test. Then they go and test the sample for the quantity of opiate ( codeine). If you've taken the right dose of paracetamol / codeine or iboprophen / codeine your levels will fit in a 'therapeutic' dose range. If you've taken a recreational, I'm trying to get off my nut dose of oxycodone or other medicine containing opiates or illicit opiates your levels will be much higher. That's the one you'll get sacked for.

Know your companies D n A policy. Follow your companies D n A policy particularly with regards to disclosure.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for all the replies fellas.

I don't get tested at work, but I'm not happy at work so sort of just thinking out loud regarding all sorts of foreseeable future possibilities, and this has been most informative and it seems not something I'd have a problem with if I just fess up I may have had a couple of xyz in the last 2 or 3 weeks or whatever if that's the case at any point in time.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
There's probably a difference in the way you'll be treated if the xyz is not an over the counter medicine or a prescription medicine. If you test positive for thc coke or amphetamine it might not end well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts