Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just something I've been idly thinking about for a while, but does anyone here reckon there'd be any possible benefits in doing some minor passive cooling mods?

The only two ideas I can honestly think of would be:
1. get a bonnet scoop - ambient air blowing either onto the motor, or helping shift accumulated hot air in the engine bay

2. put vents at the end of the end of the bonnet just in front of the window - helps to remove hot air from the top of the engine bay

How effective these would be I have no idea at all, but it never hurts to bounce the idea off a few heads. And surely it can't hurt to shed a few degrees, especially as an aluminium radiator is a long way off :p

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
the bonnet scoop will hurt your cooling as it reduces air flow through the radiator.
i can't remember on the bonnet vents. rain might be any issue tho.

front spoiler that gets close to the ground really helps but thats not very practical on a 4x4.

edit: one simple thing you can do is seal up around the radiator. that can help stop air bypassing around the radiator.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Bonnet scoop with rear venting towards the windscreen
Not a good idea
IF ya have engine problems,sh*ts sprays all over the widscreen

Getting cool air into the motor ,is this your reasoning ???

Get the idea out of your head that the alloy radiators are the be all and end all

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Get the idea out of your head that the alloy radiators are the be all and end all
yep, ive heard that, just brand new standard radiators in all my cars. cheaper too.

with the 'cowl' scoops (opening pointing to the rear) i have been informed the air will actually be sucked into these. normal forward facing scoops actually blow air out. (this is when not sealed to a carby or similar, like a shaker scoop). i was reading on some 4wd forum about it and someone did back to back tests with streamers in the scoop. i plan to do the same test with a dodgy bonnet, if i ever get around to it.

so the rear opened scoop is the way to go, helps draw more air into the engine bay and
force the hot air out the bottom. but a cop was trying to give me yellow sticker on my commodore for its hornet scoop and he asked his partner what the go was and he said its okay coz its not rear-opening. so that would be because of the reasons MQ MAD mentions, stuff making its way onto the windscreen.

if you want to reduce engine bay temps some more, you could look into exhaust wraps and/or ceramic coating. not just exhaust manifolds but also intake manifolds helps keep the air cooler going into the engine.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
I am going to re-fit the lower cowling on the radiator (removed for body lift) but will have to mod up a few bits use it. (I will take dimensions and photos when I get it done) This should help the existing fan do the job it was built for and keep the temp down a bit!

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
what about ones like on the early cruisers. bonnet and the sides
These are to let air escape when you all of a sudden drop into deep water. Keeps the front wheels on the deck rather than floating on the air captured in the engine bay.:D

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Aluminium is a far better conductor heat than copper when weight is factored in.

PWR all alloys are awesome. I would have gone an ARE but they dont make them for the early cross flow GUs. No more crappy plastic tanks :)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Yeah good point benno
It does disepate the heat better,they are lighter
And oops alloy is cheaper (so why are alloy radiators so friggin dear ???)

The GQs (maybe GUs) have alloy radiators standard,but the plastic tanks are the let down

I just recently replaced the factory alloy radiator in the GQ with a copper one
Lots and lots of $$$ difference

A main issue for excess heat/heating problems i see
When the body lifts are done people remove the bottom radiator shroud
What would seriously be the issue of extending the side bits and refitting it back up

Exhaust heat wrap as neRoK mentions is fine,but not as good as ceramic coating manifolds (big expense)
As i asked ,what is the purpose and what are you trying to actually achieve

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the input everyone, it's good to be able to file random thoughts away (In this case, into the recycling bin :p)

The idea was simply to reduce the amount of heat the radiator has to transfer by getting rid of hot air stuck in the engine area. Sure, at most it would've made only a couple of degrees of difference, but not much more was expected of such a cheap bit of modding.

Part of where it came from was talking to our regular dispatch drive telling me about his track days, and on a car that would overheat they put bonnet raisers and it ended the overheating problems. A different breed of beast true, but never hurts to ponder if the idea is applicable to other areas :)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Doesnt hurt throwing ideas around
Track cars are a tad different supose, as they are revved and hard all day
If your chasin better cold air for the engine,just go the snorkel route

1 - 11 of 11 Posts