Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gle 1999 middle east
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
I have a Y61 TB45E Patrol SGL-E (Saudi arabia) and the Temp guage is at its normal (around 80degrees c) below the C. (before changing the MAF it was on the C.
Surely normal at 80 would be in the middle between the Hand the C ...kinda in the middle.??? see the pic.
How do I adjust the needle?
or do i just replace it with a vdo / cyberdyne instrament in place of the nissan one - presuming it is a standard size....
Please comment.
thx
regards
Irfaan Ivan Harris in Riyadh

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Conclusion - there is no correlation to where the needle is when cold ... only the difference between cold and hot.
at normal Operationg temp some patrols are on the halfway mark, abut on mine 80degrees C is on the bottom mark... odd.. must be a local thing.. that 80dgrees c is "cool"
it is a whole 5 degrees C lower today than yesterday - its 42 degrees c out today - pleasantly cool, ..... :) i guess it is all relative...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thermostat has been replaced 5 times in the last 11 years and this does not change the position of needle " at rest " reading. - my reference was to the "rest postion of the needle and the difference. between cold normal and beyond....

Thanks for your note..

·
Registered
nissan
70 Posts
Sorry did not read it wright, can not help you with that one. Never known if them doing that before.
Good luck ...

·
Registered
nissan
70 Posts
Get gauge cal abraded or as you have pointed out run and aftermarket temp gauge . I am a fan of after market temp gauges cos you get a temp reading not just a moving needle.

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
Check all your earths on and from the battery to engine/body, faulty earths have been know to cause gauge issues before.

Easy to rule this one out first anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
re earth, yep i checked that one, thx,, but this has been like this from 1999. it appears that all Patrols in the Middle East use the left most line as normal.....

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

It is possible that the Arab spec Patrols have a cooler thermostat, and also the dealers may have fitted a resister to make it read low. ( other brands have done this ) Most cars have normal as 1/3 or 1/2 way up the scale. Things like this and a nice thump when you close the door are important to car buyers.

Anyway, the gauges are all one unit, and I dont like some of the extra type gauges. People always blame the gauge, but they are looking in the wrong area.

My suggestion is test the thermostat and gauge. To do this, take out the thermostat and temp sender. Boil them up in a billy beside the car with a thermometer that will do over 100 degree C. ( use a gas stove, and extend the cable to the sender. You will also need to connect the earth to it. ) ( a billy is a " cooking pot, no handle with a wire loop to move and a lid " common in Aus. to cook on an open fire ) If the ignition is on, not started watch the temp gauge and the thermometer. Draw a pic. of the gauge and mark the real temps on the pic. You will see when the thermostat opens, this is the temp it will run. keep it going untill the water boils. You will now now what the gauge is telling you.

When you replace the thermostat and sender, you will have to bleed the air out. Also keep in mind the fact that at see level water will boil at 100 deg, Less at higher altitude or more with pressure from the cap.

Regards B M

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
last thermostat fitted was 21200-VB007 trying to find the temp of that. - could have sworn that i recall it was 79.8...
i bote gulf models should have 76.5 degrees ......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts