Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to this.
Iv picked up a 2010 gu7 4spd auto patrol and getting it ready to become a tow vehicle.
I have a VDO trans temp kit and just trying to find out which banjo on the trans goes to the cooler.
Im lead to believe its the banjo o the drivers side but just want to make 100% sure.
Im sure this has been covered before so i do apoligise.
Thank in advance.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,006 Posts
Hi all, new to this.
Iv picked up a 2010 gu7 4spd auto patrol and getting it ready to become a tow vehicle.
I have a VDO trans temp kit and just trying to find out which banjo on the trans goes to the cooler.
Im lead to believe its the banjo o the drivers side but just want to make 100% sure.
Thank in advance.
Sorry, can't help you with sensor location for the Auto, but for future use you can download the workshop manual for up to series 15 from post #9 of the DI Archives.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
272 Posts
Hi all, new to this.
Thank in advance.
There is a couple locations you can place it. Most popular is welding a bung in the trans sump and that will give you the fluid temp going in to the trans.
or
as I have done drilled and tapped a 1/8 bsp thread into the banjo bolt on the drivers side at the outlet of the trans that goes to the cooler and this gives you a higher temp, 20 deg higher on average for me. It's hotter because is just gone threw the trans.

If I had my time again I'd probably put it in the trans sump because that fluid temp is what goes threw the trans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a couple locations you can place it. Most popular is welding a bung in the trans sump and that will give you the fluid temp going in to the trans.
or
as I have done drilled and tapped a 1/8 bsp thread into the banjo bolt on the drivers side at the outlet of the trans that goes to the cooler and this gives you a higher temp, 20 deg higher on average for me. It's hotter because is just gone threw the trans.

If I had my time again I'd probably put it in the trans sump because that fluid temp is what goes threw the trans.
or

Thanks mate. That's exactly what im after, the hottest at which the fluid gets as once your fluid cooks it looses its lubricating properties and if left unchanged your trans won't be far behind it.
Id say the set up you have is ideal for maximum protection of the trans.

·
Super Moderator
nissan
272 Posts
Thanks mate. That's exactly what im after, the hottest at which the fluid gets as once your fluid cooks it looses its lubricating properties and if left unchanged your trans won't be far behind it.
Id say the set up you have is ideal for maximum protection of the trans.
I also replaced the trans fluid with a good quality full synthetic and fitted a heavy duty valve body and a manual lockup kit to help keep temps down, I'm also thinking about fitting a second cooler. But I tow a large van sometimes.

·
Registered
nissan
368 Posts
I also tapped into the Banjo bolt on the drivers side of the transmission as I want to see how hot the oil is coming out. Being the hottest point the oil going in has to be cooler. I also have a B&M cooler on the front of the Patrol and have bypassed the factory radiator cooler all together. I use Oleon oil in my auto. It meets all the requirements for the auto but it is $150 for 20lt direct from the manufacturer. My cooler has a builtin fan and temp sender that turns the fan on when the oil reaching it is 80Deg or over. In the many years that the cooler has been on the fan has never had to turn on. I too have installed an upgraded valve body and manual lock up switch. I do a minor service every 10k and full flush every 30k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts