Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally going to replace the gear box next week. It was giving problems going into fourth from last year, but it always seemed like it was the bushing below the stick. I ordered and received a bushing from Nissan here, last week. It still gave problems. We thought it was the bushings, as when i got the vehicle, and it started giving problems, we pulled off the gear stick and there was a piece of hose there instead of the original! It was on its last leg, so we put in another piece of hose, until I was able to get a bushing and viola, fourth came back. Eventually I got a second hand bushing and it worked for a while, until that was totalled. Anyhow last week, i was able to buy a second hand box (still fourth speed) from a friend at a good price. I had always read that the box was real heavy, but seems I had no idea. The box took 3 of us to lift it into the back of the gq and to lift it out!! I also did some checking in Nissan FAST, for the actual weight of the box and for the entire set up, the weight is 165 kg and gearbox alone, 109 kgs. I compared it to the other large Nissan vehicles and except for the Nissan Atlas (around 15 kg more) and the Civilian (similar box) it was by far the largest box that Nissan built, even heavier than the Cabstar!! I was hoping to hold out for a 5 speed (very rare here) but next year hopefully.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
yeah it's a monster, my spare is on a little frame with wheels in the shed. I reackon it's close to the weight of a cast iron small block chev v8.
It makes me wonder if anyone has been killed by trying to remove the gearbox without jacks.
The gregorys manual suggests you split the box and the transfer case to make it easier to manage.
I've never seen a 4 speed here.

·
Registered
Nissan
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it's a monster, my spare is on a little frame with wheels in the shed. I reackon it's close to the weight of a cast iron small block chev v8.
It makes me wonder if anyone has been killed by trying to remove the gearbox without jacks.
The gregorys manual suggests you split the box and the transfer case to make it easier to manage.
I've never seen a 4 speed here.
They had them (4 speed), here on mostly ex government patrols. They built them from 88 to 93, i think. Not too bad where i live to where I go to work (mostly hills and winding roads), but I am definitely looking for a 5 speed next year.

·
Registered
Nissan
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Lawrence, are you using the 4 speed GQ to climb the Blue Mountain?
No Carib, not with the gq, but I have been up there in my previous patrol (mk ute). They have quite a few of owners up there (mostly coffee farmers). I met the owner of a nice red 97 tb42 efi in your neck of the woods earlier this year though. I may be back in a couple of months.

·
Registered
nissan gu
51 Posts
yep she is really heavy, i done my GU clutch and rear main seal, damn that was a job and half 2 trolley jacks to move it around and straps for security just in case if it falls of the jacks and crash me :p

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
217 Posts
When I did mine, I pulled out the interior, stuck the engine crane from the side of the car so the boom extends inwards thru the trans tunnel and used that to lift/lower the gearbox to the floor to do the clutch, u can still wiggle it on the Chain to align splines and so forth

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
When I did mine, I pulled out the interior, stuck the engine crane from the side of the car so the boom extends inwards thru the trans tunnel and used that to lift/lower the gearbox to the floor to do the clutch, u can still wiggle it on the Chain to align splines and so forth

x2

First we couldn't break it away from engine
Took a big lad a few good kicks to separate it
Heavy fookers

·
Registered
nissan
132 Posts
Had my gearbox rebuilt last year when 5th went it was a big job and now with upgraded 5th gear and main shaft much better

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,528 Posts
What sort of motorcycle jack do you use dude.

Dunno if you have malz stores over east? But that's where it's from. We still removed the transfer case as there easy to slip in after you have a few bolts in the bell housing. From memory there about $200 too buy and then we used abit of timber under the bell housing to get the angle right and strapped it down.

Had it in within half an hour with out breaking a sweat and coursing

·
Registered
NISSAN
367 Posts
Dunno if you have malz stores over east? But that's where it's from. We still removed the transfer case as there easy to slip in after you have a few bolts in the bell housing. From memory there about $200 too buy and then we used abit of timber under the bell housing to get the angle right and strapped it down.

Had it in within half an hour with out breaking a sweat and coursing
I've only ever changed them using a 4 post hoist but your idea is a good one for when a hoist isn't available.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.