Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3.0Td
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, ive just driving a family friends GUiii patrol, an the induction noise is awesome, well to me anyways....

When its boosting from 1.5 - 2000 rpm an let off the throttle, it makes a almost like owl noise.... it doesnt sound like ur typical compressor surge, because if it was compressor surge, it makes a flutter noise, the typical sutututut... that were so accustomed to listening to performance turbos without a bov fitted

Coming from playing with 4 and 6 cylinder turbo imports, i never get sick of the sound of a turbo, this noise has intrigued me because its a first haha...

Now im curious what can cause this induction noise.... It happens, with or without a snorkel fitted, wired... the only mods he has is CC intercooler kit, and larger exhaust, 3 inch

Now my setup is similar, 3 inch straight through exhaust, 3 inch intake, snorkel, and yet im stumped on why my or other patrols cannot replicate this noise...

i suppose some like it, an others hate it...

Could it the larger intercooler?

or one of the small butterflies in the main throttle body, shut of valve, or swirl valve closes when u take ur foot off?

Or is it just that we have a leaky intercooler?

Or could it be the VNT turbo vanes?

Help me with replicating this noise hahaha :D

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
;) I went to supercrap and got an exhaust Whistler for that extra sound of dose.its sounds hectic and fully sick

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
I love the whistle mine has developed and increased over the last couple of years, and yes it does sound a bit like and Owl, never thought of it that way. Mine is at it's peak at between 2000 and 2500rpm when decelerating, after that the effect drops off.

There are so many combinations in all the vehicles we have I'm not sure you will ever come up with a definitive reason why one makes this sound and another has something different. I don't have the swirl valve, it's gone, all the screens in the airbox lid are gone, I'm running a reasonably aggressive spoolup I have 18.5psi at 2100rpm and I'm not suffering any surge whatsoever.

So all in all I'm not sure exactly how you "design in" a specific sound, they are all individuals (he says in a monotone voice :)).

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Hi guys, ive just driving a family friends GUiii patrol, an the induction noise is awesome, well to me anyways....

When its boosting from 1.5 - 2000 rpm an let off the throttle, it makes a almost like owl noise.... it doesnt sound like ur typical compressor surge, because if it was compressor surge, it makes a flutter noise, the typical sutututut... that were so accustomed to listening to performance turbos without a bov fitted

Coming from playing with 4 and 6 cylinder turbo imports, i never get sick of the sound of a turbo, this noise has intrigued me because its a first haha...

Now im curious what can cause this induction noise.... It happens, with or without a snorkel fitted, wired... the only mods he has is CC intercooler kit, and larger exhaust, 3 inch

Now my setup is similar, 3 inch straight through exhaust, 3 inch intake, snorkel, and yet im stumped on why my or other patrols cannot replicate this noise...

i suppose some like it, an others hate it...

Could it the larger intercooler?

or one of the small butterflies in the main throttle body, shut of valve, or swirl valve closes when u take ur foot off?

Or is it just that we have a leaky intercooler?

Or could it be the VNT turbo vanes?

Help me with replicating this noise hahaha :D
Seems every car and every turbo is slightly different in the noise it makes. Mine does make the sound you are talking about and a reverberation hollow sound through the snorkel as I back off. My turbo noise I think is partly the diesel gas I have fitted has a venturi tube in front of the turbo. I don't mind a bit of turbo noise but not the higher pitch, so am trying to silence it rather than make it louder.

Interesting that you say it happens with or without the snorkel fitted, was that tested on the same car?

I have recently been messing with the airbox and intake on mine. In the process, I went for a drive without the snorkel or airbox and just a pod filter. It was so bloody loud driving down my street, I was embarased to boot it too hard.

Air filter (like a K&N) makes a little more induction noise.
Different snorkels make a bit different noise.

Different turbos even from one identical car to another and probably the combination of exhaust, intercooler, intake and boost he is running even blocking the EGR and different mufflers or CAT might all change the air flow and make a slight difference.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,105 Posts
Mine is stealthy quiet...

Well apart from the engine rattles, exhaust rattle, awning rattle, suspension squeak and knock. But no owl noise from turbo :(

So ripped off :rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Haha he does it well though I piss myself every time I watch it. Who let the pigeons out? Lol

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I have an owl living in my air filter box.
Not sure if it's the same noise.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts