Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My name’s Rob, I live in Belgium and I’ve got a Patrol 260 from 1988 with a SD33T engine, which I’m currently restoring. Mechanically it was in pretty good nick but it had quite some rust. I started working on it back in February and have accomplished the following things so far:
  • Chassis has been blasted and repainted
  • Engine has been repainted
  • Brakes overhauled
  • Installed a new clutch

I’m currently working on the body. As mentioned before it has quite somme rust so I’ve been welding heaps but I’ve (finally!) got the end in sight.

Keep you posted!

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,873 Posts
Nice work mate. Always good to see one more being saved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently I'm doing some bodywork but the whole botom is covered with a kind of rubber. Does anyone have an idea on how to remove it? I tried with a wirebrush on the grinder but it takes a lot of time as it gets soft and smeared out. Also used a heatgun and chisel to scrape it off but this is difficult in the corners.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,873 Posts
I have what sounds like a similar crap underneath one of my Patrols, and I am dreading having to remove it.
Everything I have read suggests it will be a lot of effort. Apparently a needler attachment for an air compressor will work if its a harder setting coating, I have also heard of using wire wheels on a drill or grinder, chemicals such as paint stripper, acetone, kerosene etc, using a heated paint scraper or heating the coating then scraping, chisel and hammer or even dry ice and a hammer.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts