Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My name’s Rob, I live in Belgium and I’ve got a Patrol 260 from 1988 with a SD33T engine, which I’m currently restoring. Mechanically it was in pretty good nick but it had quite some rust. I started working on it back in February and have accomplished the following things so far:
  • Chassis has been blasted and repainted
  • Engine has been repainted
  • Brakes overhauled
  • Installed a new clutch

I’m currently working on the body. As mentioned before it has quite somme rust so I’ve been welding heaps but I’ve (finally!) got the end in sight.

Keep you posted!

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,926 Posts
Nice work mate. Always good to see one more being saved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently I'm doing some bodywork but the whole botom is covered with a kind of rubber. Does anyone have an idea on how to remove it? I tried with a wirebrush on the grinder but it takes a lot of time as it gets soft and smeared out. Also used a heatgun and chisel to scrape it off but this is difficult in the corners.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
10,926 Posts
I have what sounds like a similar crap underneath one of my Patrols, and I am dreading having to remove it.
Everything I have read suggests it will be a lot of effort. Apparently a needler attachment for an air compressor will work if its a harder setting coating, I have also heard of using wire wheels on a drill or grinder, chemicals such as paint stripper, acetone, kerosene etc, using a heated paint scraper or heating the coating then scraping, chisel and hammer or even dry ice and a hammer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It indeed was a lot of work, next time I'll think twice😜.
The pneumatic needle gun was the best option. When worked on the 'rubber' it became kind of soft and could be peeled off. Small corners and edges could also be reached. Unfortunately it didn't work on all spots, especially those where there was also some kind of tar on the body. When the layer was thicker, I first used the grinder with a wire wheel or a scrape. Sometimes it also would help when it was heated up with a burner. The last bits could be removed with thinner or WD40 and a rag..

Before

During

After

I removed all support beams by drilling out the spot welds. Then removed all rust and put a primer on. Next is to paint it all in a 2K-epoxyprimer and stone chip paint.
I also did a lot of body repair but will save this for another post😉.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
10,926 Posts
Great work, that looks excellent.
I spent more than enough time under my wagon with a grinder, drill and paint scraper to prepare it for repainting, its a very tedious job.

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
nissan
565 Posts
Great to see an vehicle brought back to life.
Looks like some serious effort is going into it :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So last weekend I sprayed the underbody in epoxyprimer and applied seam sealer. Today I applied black stonechip, I used Gravitex from Upol and was verry happy with the result. I have been doing weldjobs and cleaning for the last 2 months, it's so nice to finally see the result.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I purchased the car, I did notice that the doorsteps and wheel arches were badly rusted.The doorsteps were actually half gone so they needed to be replaced, making some patches for the arches and just a bit of welding and ready for a paint job🤪. After removing the body from the chassis, it came clear there was much more rust than only those spots. None of the bodymounts were still intact so I needed to replace them as well.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
10,926 Posts
They are common rust spots on these old Patrols.
Have a good look around the firewall, radiator support, cabin intake plenum and roof if you have the roof liner out, particularly around panel joins and where dirt and water can collect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I decided to make some new ones.

Furthermore, I removed and replaced the front body and radiator mounts, bought new doorstep and welded them in, removed the supportbeams in the back, welded some patches,...

Then I applied some rust-convertor, anti corrosion coating on the weak spots, a 2K epoxy primer and finally stone chip coating as mentioned before. I think it will be rust-free for some years😜

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are common rust spots on these old Patrols.
Have a good look around the firewall, radiator support, cabin intake plenum and roof if you have the roof liner out, particularly around panel joins and where dirt and water can collect.
Yeah I know. I noticed a few spots but not to bad and hard to fix. I will probably just clean them up with a wire brush, if necessary weld it up, apply rustconvertor and seal it with seam sealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts