Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
842 Posts
Very nice and inspiring. I am slowly building courage and funds to get started again finishing my own project.
Great job!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know every restauration has its up and down, but last week it suddenly went really fast downwards. I finished a welding job on the quarter panel, checked the carpet to see if everything was ok. But after about 5 minutes, when I was doing some other stuff, the body caught fire. The new roofliner and other trim are gone since the fabric easily melts. Unfortynately i put the fire out with a powder extinguisher at first and then switched to co2. The whole interior was covered in yellow powder. So I had to dismantle the dashboard and wire harness back again to clean it. So I hope there won't be much damage to the electrical parts.
20210428_135238.jpg

20210428_135231.jpg

20210428_135304.jpg

20210428_135258.jpg

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,792 Posts
That sux, hopefully minimal wiring damage.

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Sorry to hear about that .. things happen mate just learn from it and keep going because it looks like a great project ! Don’t lose faith haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
None of the wires were melted or damages, just the floorcarpet, roofliner, seat belt buckles, gear lever rubbers and the interior light are damaged. So actually, I'm very lucky there isn't anymore damage. The whole workshop could have burned down. I already ordered some new parts so the restauration continues 😉.
I did noticed however that the powder is very corrosive to bare metal and copper. So a good tip would be not to use a powder extinguisher unless there are no other options 🤪.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
Thats a bummer mate, but glad to hear you are continuing with the restoration.

Yes that powder is nasty stuff, wash it off everything you can get to as soon as you can. Just water is okay, but as the powder is normally water soluble you will want to use a lot to dilute as much as possible before drying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I found out that the combination of a vacuum cleaner and a paintbrush works really well. With the use of a brush, you can acces the tiny spots as well. Another great advantage is that the power is immediately collected whilst with compressed air, the powder spreads through the whole car (which then can be easily vacuumed😁) After the fire,I immediately started to rinse with water. The problem with that was that the powder starts to react and withe crusts were formed. These were much harder to remove as the powder but the advantage was that is was visible where still some powder was left.
I spent a lot of hours on cleaning and dismanteling soms already mounted parts but I believe that everything is now clean. In meanwhile, the body is back on the chassis, the radiator is mounted back again and the wire harness is reconnected. Maybe I can start it in the weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, I did start it but what an unpleasant surprise. Black smoke, engine vibration, terrible sound, no reaction on the throttle,... After 2 minutes running on idle, the whole workshop was filled with black smoke. So I began to check everything, the injectors were brand new and set to the correct opening pressure, airfilter is new and clean, no leaks or anything else, new filter, clean diesel, no air bubbles at the IP. I didn't had any clue of what was possibly wrong. However, when unscrewing the fuel line of piston nr 1, it seemed that it got more fuel than the other pistons. This amazed me since I didn't do anything on the settings of it. When opening the side cover, I noticed that the pinion clamp of nr 1 wasn't aligning with the other 5, on my spare engine all the clamps align. So I had a direction to go. When I removed the delivery valve holder it came clear that the plunger assembly was moved along with the plunger. So it remained on 100% fuel delivery, causing the black smoke and vibrations. The small locking pin, which holds the plunger assembly on its place was pressed out. After a gentle tap, it locked the assembly back again. So problem solved and the engine runs so smooth.No excessive black smoke, barely any vibrations, good response to the throttle. So I 'm very happy it runs so fine, because when I bought it, it didn't start and stop properly.
But I still have no clue why that little pin was driven back in the pump body and didn't hold the plunger assembly.

http://instagr.am/p/CPLl0iyHep6/

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
Good work diagnosing that. Not an issue I've witnessed before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've got several tractors which are equipped with Bosch linepumps on which the Kiki pumps is based and it never happend to me before. But it'doesn't matter, the problem is solved and hopefully no more problems in the future.

Picked up these the other day 😁

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Put the Deutz 2cyl toi work and dropped the car at the painter

I'm currently looking for the outside weather strips from both left and right door. But they are difficult to find of very expensive. I've been told that the doors of the Y60-model are the same but does this also includes the weatherstrips?

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
Yes, GQ doors are a direct fit to MQ, and their door seals are same - the external weatherstrip is the same as GQ with a vent window, like MQ/MK. It is different to most GQ's which had no vent window.

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I actually have doors without a vent window, so I guess I need the GQ weather strips.
I also found out that my LH mirror is Japanse made and the RH Spanish made 🤪. According to Nissan, it is a type 160 although my VIN starts with VSKR260. I guess it's a transition model on which they used some old and new parts together.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,865 Posts
I also found out that my LH mirror is Japanse made and the RH Spanish made 🤪. According to Nissan, it is a type 160 although my VIN starts with VSKR260. I guess it's a transition model on which they used some old and new parts together.
Not unusual in many industries.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
260s are the kinda orphan child of Patrols - there's almost no Nissan documentation on them, I've been through all the usual sites, a bunch of Russian sites that I didn't understand and Nissan FAST EU catalogue and there's no parts catalogue for them. Really strange because they are not a 160 or Y60 and of course they have their own model code.
No surprise one of your mirrors was made in Japan and one in Spain, Nissan made Patrols (mainly 260s) in Spain so it would be logical that they would have other parts manufactured there too.

Your guess is probably right. Very early 260 model based on the VIN, grey dashboard and the indicator location on the front fender - given the SD33T and 160 style front grille I'd say Nissan were running down excess stock before they switched to the 260 specific grille and later engines

21 - 35 of 35 Posts