Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm really satisfied with the paint. When it came back, it looked a bit monotone, but now that the windows are tinted etc, it's really looking nice.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

The upholstery was the same as the rest of the car so I believe it's an original piece. Anyway, my girlfriend recovered it in brown leather so it has te be placed back, no matter where 😜

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Like the rest of the interior, the doorpanels were to far gone to reuse. So I made some new by using the old ones as a template, covered them with foam and skai-leather and put some new boxes in it. I also bought some brown interior parts to match with the cognac color of the leather
Car Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

The cabin was already sound deadned with alubutyl but I also placed a layer of metisse on the floor to insulate it better and to make it easier to cover with carpet. Me and my girlfriend gave it a shot but we didn't succeed. The carpet remains to stiff to fit it around the curves and corners. There isn't much strech on it. Maybe next weekend we give it another shot with the heatgun and hotwater.
Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Composite material

This is how the combo-lever looks now.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Plant
Road surface Line Wood Grass Material property

The brakelines are in meantime also connected and finally got it managed to brake properly. As it is Spanish made and for the European market, it is equipped with a load-sensing valve or something like that. 60% or so of the brake force goes to the front wheels while the rest goes to the back. When bleeding the lines, there was no oil getting to rear drums however there was oil getting in to the LS-valve. Seems a little piece of paper, used to keep the bores free from debris, was stuck in the line to the rear 🤦‍♂️. So if you ever wondered why restorations take so long, this is one of the reasons why 😄
Tire Wheel Sky Car Plant

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,277 Posts
Those door panels look excellent mate.

The combo switch looks good too. How did you restore the white marks? Paint and a very small paint brush?
I've never bothered trying lol.

Reactions: Swero

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Those door panels look excellent mate.

The combo switch looks good too. How did you restore the white marks? Paint and a very small paint brush?
I've never bothered trying lol.
There are decalls available which you can stick on the stalk, then just a few layers of clear coat and ready. I resprayed mine black before sticking the decals on them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Finnaly got the carpets in. It was a hell of a job. I bought some ordinary carpet with a plastic backing, used a heatgun and an iron to mold it. Which worked pretty well for the piece under the seats and center console as well for the flat piece in the trunk space. But the rest was really bad with a lot of folds and even burn marks. There wasn't enough material to stretch and the backing was so stiff it was very hard to crimp. So I pulled it back out again. Second time, made some cuts and sews and then used the heatgun to make the backing soft so i could be molded. I also glued small parts instead of the whole carpets so that minor adjustments could be made. The result was much better. It's a shame the the black color is so hard to put on camera 😄
Asphalt Road surface Flooring Automotive design Automotive exterior

Seats are in.

Car Vehicle Car seat cover Motor vehicle Steering part

Flares are mounted

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I noticed that the 4WD light on the dash doesn't light up when it's in 4L or 4H. I took out the switch and when I press it manually, the light comes on. So no problems with wiring, switch and bulb. The hubs are locked and both propshafts turn when I spin the wheel. Anyone an idea what the problem could be? It seems like the mechanism in the transfercase doesn't make contact with the switch, but it used to work in the past.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts