Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
Yesterday I went back to the inspection station. Off course, I did checked the license plate lamp and brakes before I left at home to make sure I wasn't wasting time and effort. First check at the station was the the license plate lamp, guess what馃檲.
Next were the brakes, the car this time had some brake at the rear, but the unbalance was to big. After some 3-4 attempts and letting the drums heat up a bit, it passed the test, thanks to the guys of the inspection station. So now I can register it get a license plate.

I tried to deal with the oil gauge wich is constantly reading max pressure. Openend the sender and found al little spring which was loose, causing the variable resistor to stay put on one side (probably max). However it didn't help. The metal cap was filled with oil, so perhaps there is an internal leak, equalizing the pressure before and behind the sensing unit.
According to the manual when it reads max but returns to zero when ignition is off, the "oil pressure gauge unit" needs to be replaced, otherwise the "oil pressure gauge" needs to be replaced. What exactly is meant by the oil pressure gauge unit? It's a bit hard to translate and confusing as the sending unit, gauge unit and gauge are mentioned. Is it the meter in the combination meter or the sensor on the engine?
View attachment 539645
I'd just break down the 'probable cause' symptoms in brackets to see what it's referring too.
The top one has the:
(Gauge pointer returns to original position when ignition switch is turned off)
With those symptoms the actual visible gauge on the dash is working fine, showing that the sender on the engine is sending faulty signals. So the Oil Pressure Gauge Unit is the sender.

On the other hand, the "Oil Pressure Gauge", is faulty if it always reads max pressure, which would mean that something in the dash gauge is broken and it's just not returning to zero.

So the "Gauge Unit" is the sender,
and the "Gauge" is the bit that you look at in the dash that visibly shows oil pressure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
It was indeed the sender. When I put everything back after reattaching the little spring, I accidentally bend one of the contactpins inside the houding so it was making contact with the housing. As it was inside the housing, i noticed it when I opened it up again. Now it works properly again :).
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Almost done

Registered
It was indeed the sender. When I put everything back after reattaching the little spring, I accidentally bend one of the contactpins inside the houding so it was making contact with the housing. As it was inside the housing, i noticed it when I opened it up again. Now it works properly again :).
View attachment 540125
Almost done
It looks awesome! (y)
Hopefully one day I can restore my wagon to the same extent.

Reactions: Swero

Registered
View attachment 540125
Almost done
Awesome look.
Best wishes and regards from Copiap贸, Chile.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hi guys,

I've been driving the Patrol now for almost half a year and it runs great. The suspension was a bit stiff in the beginning so I replaced the shocks with some softer ones and it's much more comfortable now. the engine is also running smooth, no problems with overheating or low oil-pressure. Only 2 thing that need to be fixed.

I've got some slack in the steering wheel, like 4-5cm on the outside of the steering wheel. I've got no play on the steering joints and couplings or on the wheel bearings. So it seems like the steering house is causing it. Is there a way to get rid of this slack? It looks like there is an adjusting screw on it.

The gearbox and transfer case are leaking a lot. I've could have known, when I got the car, there was no more oil left in the gearbox as well as in the transfer case. There are some oil drops on the bell housing. It's definitely coming from the gearbox as it is still clear and not black. So probably the oil seal. the other leaks are a more difficult to find. I've checked the filler and drain plugs but those seem fine. It looks like it's sweating through the paper gaskets, although I find it hard to believe. As I still got some problems with engaging and disengaging 4wd, I was thinking about removing them both and inspect them on the workbench. Probably a job for the winter.

Registered
Hi guys,

I've been driving the Patrol now for almost half a year and it runs great. The suspension was a bit stiff in the beginning so I replaced the shocks with some softer ones and it's much more comfortable now. the engine is also running smooth, no problems with overheating or low oil-pressure. Only 2 thing that need to be fixed.

I've got some slack in the steering wheel, like 4-5cm on the outside of the steering wheel. I've got no play on the steering joints and couplings or on the wheel bearings. So it seems like the steering house is causing it. Is there a way to get rid of this slack? It looks like there is an adjusting screw on it.

The gearbox and transfer case are leaking a lot. I've could have known, when I got the car, there was no more oil left in the gearbox as well as in the transfer case. There are some oil drops on the bell housing. It's definitely coming from the gearbox as it is still clear and not black. So probably the oil seal. the other leaks are a more difficult to find. I've checked the filler and drain plugs but those seem fine. It looks like it's sweating through the paper gaskets, although I find it hard to believe. As I still got some problems with engaging and disengaging 4wd, I was thinking about removing them both and inspect them on the workbench. Probably a job for the winter.
I can only answer the 1st of the two, any solid axle vehicle with a geared steering box (not rack and pinion) will have some play in the steering. Mine does too, even GU (Y61) patrols have it. It's just a result of how a steering box works.
You can adjust it, just be careful of how much, if you tighten it too much and it becomes stiff you'll likely be damaging the gears as far as I know.
Great to hear it's going well apart from the gearbox/transfer issues, got any recent pictures of it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
It wasn't mentioned at the car inspection station so I don't think the slack is a big deal, but sometimes it surprises you in the corners or roundabouts. I'll see what to do about it.

Here some pics. Next thing is to upholster the backseat and re-fitting the speakers. They are now touching the backseat when it's folded.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Cloud

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Car

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

61 - 67 of 67 Posts