Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol Gu6
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone, I am 6 months into a trip around Australia and am realising that the patrol will need a respray once the trip is complete. Pin stripe scratches all over sides (too severe to buff out) from consistent travelling to bush camps and general 4wding. Does anyone know of approximate cost of respray in original colour (silver/grey) to patrol wagon?

Thanks

Shane

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
$5,000 - $7,000

Thats cleaning. sanding. Primer. sanding again. paint. buffing. polish. wax. all with labour.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
if ur gonna respray go to superjunk and get a few cans of touch up paint, apply in light coats and if your not happy with the results then get a pro to do it. U'll be suprised how good and easy the touch up paint is

·
Registered
nissan
164 Posts
if ur gonna respray go to superjunk and get a few cans of touch up paint, apply in light coats and if your not happy with the results then get a pro to do it. U'll be suprised how good and easy the touch up paint is
You are kidding right?

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
I would allow up to $10k depending where you go and for the job to be done properly.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
What finish do you want ???
Show finish,average finish ???
How much damage is there (dents,scratches,panel damage) ???
Is there any rust work required ???
Paint jobs can range 5-10-15-20 K and beyond depending on the finish and work required

·
Registered
nissan
270 Posts
You are kidding right?
Why not??? If he has to respray, why not spend $20 trying to fix it himself, saving 5 grand. And if it does't work, well he was going to spend the 5 grand anyway, so he can spend it on a pro job, which will eliminate a bodgy touch up!

·
Registered
nissan patrol Gu6
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Respray

Panel damage is minimal, just so many scratches. A possibility I was wondering on would be how much cheaper would it be to not worry about respraying inside doors and areas such as that (respraying same colour). I would want a good job of respray but not for $10000.00!

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Can you actually feel the scratches with your finger nail? If not, they should just buff out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Option two: Just drive the car. Its a mechanical device to transport you to remote locations.

So its got Pin Stripe marks down the side of it...................Are you thinking of selling? If you are I'm not sure you will get your 10 grand back mate. You can get spray on stuff to protect the sides of your doors and panels. Ive never tried it but one of the Mags thought it was worthwhile.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Yeah i'm with Banwagon on this.

You WILL NOT get your money back on a respray if you are trying to on sell it.

Drive it, enjoy it, forget about the pin striping.

When you are finished with your trip take it to a decent paint shop for a professional cut and polish and dont mention that you are even considering respraying, "you just want it the best that they can get it please, work your magic guys ;-) "

You will be amazed at how well it will come up.

Then list it for sale if you want and just mark it as a used and well maintained vehicle that has done a lap of OZ.

Bugger the respray mate.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
My Navara looked like this after driving down an overgrown track, this pic was taken after a wash.

Every single one of these buffed out, I thought the paint was f**cked but some Meguiar's medium cut compound and a course buffing pad got them out easily, just used a Makita rotary polishing machine but the ryobi 180mm polishers from bunnings will do the same job. Its worth a shot!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
one thing to think of if going down this path, atwo tone respray is going to cost a fair chunk more than a single colour

resprays are so much a pain in the ass, little story for you just to keep in the back of your mind when chosing who to trust with the job

I once had a very clean and straight 1978 mazda capella which I was doing up, and going the whole old skool rotary conversion etc on, I had the car 9 years and slowly bit by bit sanded and sraightened the body out etc ( i'm fairly good with body work) haven't the means to spray, so when I was happy with the body I ran around looking for a proffesional spray painter to do what I couldn't do

so after much looking around and seeing jobs from peoples place I picked one I was happy with ( seen quite a few of his jobs) which were very good quality

so the deal was done the price was fair and the car was given to them to do

now when I got the car back it was terrible, the paint had blisters in it they had cut it back so hard they burn thru the paint in a number of places, they had flaired the gaurds with out asking, telling me they would rub on the wheel I had on it which in 9 years had never touched the pannels once

basically to cut a long story shorter the car would have needed another full respray, they refused to do it they offered to fix it once wich I let them, and they just coated it in clear coat hopping it would hold there crap job together

so I sold this much loved car because i couldn't be bothered with all the work that was needed to fix there crap job

looks nice doesn't it, but once closer than 2m away it was shocking, and not a thing I could do about there bodgy work other than take them to court privatly

what I am trying to say here is be very wise in who you trust to paint your pride and joys what ever they maybe , nad just because they are a proffesional bussiness doesn't mean there trust worthy

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
Respray

Before purchasing my current GU I had a 1992 petrol green metalic 80 series that was suffering badly from top coat separation.

Decided that a respray would give me more return on the sale as I was only offered $8,000 for the vehicle.

After shopping around I was given quotes that ranged from $4,600 up to $8,000. Finally I struck up an agreement with my local panel beater that if I removed all the bolt on items leaving only the tail lights and the number plate for driving he would do it for $2,000 if there was no hurry for the job. He did it in just under 2 weeks
There was no panel damage and only needed a respray. My only extra was a new windscreen (claimed on insurance)

When I got the car back it was immaculate. Did not use the original colour and it was better than original. While it was in the panel beater I had most of the other items powdercoated and refitted myself.

Sold the car 6 months later for $18,500 to the first buyer.

Shop around and try the panel beaters first as they might be able to polish out.

·
Registered
851 Posts
@glort A friend of mine used to live in Washington DC and drove an old F100, painted matt black all over. He said "Its best to be ugly in this town". Probably true in Sydney or Melbourne too.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Buff out what you can, trolley scrapes , INSURANCE, Key scratches- Insurance.

Would insurance cover scratches from offroad use.?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Im with shane, why are you worried, claim it on insurance. You were wheeling, and it got scratched...

?

if they will replace an engine thats been drowned due to driver stupidity going thru flooded rivers, why wouldnt they do this... yea, true, they are insurance companies.... worth a call to them.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
it's a Patrol !!

those scratches are "badges of honour"

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Give it a buff , see what happens
We got a heap of pin strip scratches on the GQ