Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my car earlier today at my local dealership after its regular scheduled maintenance, and the last step was to get in the passenger seat beside one of the technicians who was going to drive the car to illustrate that a problem with my pedals was indeed rectified.

Once we got driving, to my surprise, the guy was going fast on speed bumps, whether he was taking them straight on or sideways, as if they didn't exist. When I asked him about it he told me this car is not supposed to be "babied" or taken care of like other cars as it is a capable off-roader, something I knew (but I guess Ive always tried to be gentle on the suspension and other components for longevity purposes).

My question here is: How do you drive when it comes to speedbumps? Do you consider your driving a bit rough since the car can take a beating?

Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
its common sense when you think about it if you keep driving it like the technician recommended hard over speed bumps you will eventually have a very rough riding rig. Nothing stays new dont baby it but also dont drive it like you stole it.

Speed bumps are there to make you slow down just remember that馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its common sense when you think about it if you keep driving it like the technician recommended hard over speed bumps you will eventually have a very rough riding rig. Nothing stays new dont baby it but also dont drive it like you stole it.

Speed bumps are there to make you slow down just remember that馃憤
Cheers mate, that's what I thought as well; defo will keep things within limits.

Thanks.

Registered
As long as you arent pounding the bump stops then i cant see it doing any damage. You may wear the bushes a little faster but just replace them when needed. Genuine bushes can last the lifetime of a car or be chewed out in a mater of days in a competiton vehicle.
Obviously crawling over bumps will cause less wear and potential for damage but depending on the size of bump there will be a speed where the suspension soakes up the bump rather than boucing the whole car over it. The stiffer the suspension the faster this speed will be. There will obviously be a limit where the bump is too large and you will be bouncing of your bump stops. This is when you risk most damage.
I agree with your mechanic that you dont need to baby it but every situation has its limits. Maybe you need to hit those limits a few times to understand what it can and cant do. However speed bumps are not really the place for that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as you arent pounding the bump stops then i cant see it doing any damage. You may wear the bushes a little faster but just replace them when needed. Genuine bushes can last the lifetime of a car or be chewed out in a mater of days in a competiton vehicle.
Obviously crawling over bumps will cause less wear and potential for damage but depending on the size of bump there will be a speed where the suspension soakes up the bump rather than boucing the whole car over it. The stiffer the suspension the faster this speed will be. There will obviously be a limit where the bump is too large and you will be bouncing of your bump stops. This is when you risk most damage.
I agree with your mechanic that you dont need to baby it but every situation has its limits. Maybe you need to hit those limits a few times to understand what it can and cant do. However speed bumps are not really the place for that.
Thanks Benny, very informative. Car is still in its early days and as you said, I need to slowly find out the limits. Luckily I drive in the UAE, and we have some of the smoothest roads in the world.

Cheers & be safe!

Registered
2007 GU & 2016 GU
Don't hit does humps / speed bumps to hard, as they are very step/high. Was working 79-82 in Al Ain and remember had some very high humps 3 in a raw. A work mate too fas,t had the car completly wrecked on one in the outskirts of Al Ain.
Treath your fine car as your car and not as a rental !!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't hit does humps / speed bumps to hard, as they are very step/high. Was working 79-82 in Al Ain and remember had some very high humps 3 in a raw. A work mate too fas,t had the car completly wrecked on one in the outskirts of Al Ain.
Treath your fine car as your car and not as a rental !!!
Old timer here in the UAE I see! Thanks for the insight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts