Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
i was wondering since i had a slightly curved/bent tie rod that i should change it. Looks like its an aftermarket one, about 32mm Dia rod. so im assuming its a roadsafe one (previous owners must have changed and bent it)
my car keeps steering to the left, could by tires but for now since its bent i thought id get it out of the way. ive changed the steering damper to a 35mm bore tough dog, roadsafe draglink and replaced the front and rear panhard rod bushings to genuine bushings.
Been researching for a while now regarding prices, quality and specs on the tie rods out there, (budget being under 300buks), i wanted to know if getting an adjustable one is worth the extra 50-70buks. ive seen one for 220 thereabouts, 10% stronger than original, male tie ends and adjustable.
however the one i wanted was a 38mm solid chromoly PSR one, wish it was a tad thinner not 38 but whateva. that one is 250 delivered but its not adjustable. i was originally going for the road safe (6.5mm thick wall one, 32mm dia rod but after reading on the forums how much everyone hated them and how so many people have broken them while driving on the road and only avoiding accidents because they were going so slow at the time, made me steer far away from them.
superior engineering is about my budget for now.
please keep in mind im not a offroader, nor do i intend on it or rock crawling etc. i drive on roads, occasional hunting and rough dirt roads ...thats it. i have a two inch lift (not body mount lift just springs and shocks- old man emu i think-- rough as hell XD)
is that adjustable option simply for those willing to lift their 4bie to 6inches+ etc. i liked the thought of adjusting the toe for perfect alignment but then again that can be only done once- once the thread is damaged it basically becomes a non adjustable :)
changing the rod only will be just as high in price hence why i want to just change the whole thing.
thanks in advance!
any light on this would help me and be appreciated
and yes i checked other threads, forums etc and couldn't find much, not even regarding adjust ability, or anything regarding PSR. ( only chassis bracing and spring rates)
kind regards

Phil

·
Registered
715 Posts
Arent they all adjustable? How else to you adjust toe? Just make sure its gu or gq specific as the gq ones run out of thread on a gu

·
Registered
nissan
10,949 Posts
tie rod(one between the wheels) is always adjustable. has to be to set wheel alignment.
Drag link (from steering box to lh wheel) is fixed from factory. adjustable is nice as you can get your steering wheel straight but not a big deal.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Also what makes you think they are adjustable once. You don't wrench on the threads to adjust them, you work on the shaft (ask any 16YO boy). They are infinitely adjustable. Adjustable is nicer to get the steering back in the right spot. If your steering wheel is not off or not much it may not bother you but if your steering box is not sitting pretty close to dead centre when travelling straight ahead you can get a bit of wonder as they get a bit looser as they turn away from the straight ahead position. If your budget doesn't go for it though don't panic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arent they all adjustable? How else to you adjust toe? Just make sure its gu or gq specific as the gq ones run out of thread on a gu
Nah some arent.
look at the link below

Also what makes you think they are adjustable once. You don't wrench on the threads to adjust them, you work on the shaft (ask any 16YO boy). They are infinitely adjustable. Adjustable is nicer to get the steering back in the right spot. If your steering wheel is not off or not much it may not bother you but if your steering box is not sitting pretty close to dead centre when travelling straight ahead you can get a bit of wonder as they get a bit looser as they turn away from the straight ahead position. If your budget doesn't go for it though don't panic.
well to be honest, i got that notion from a forum where the blokes were talking about adjustable lower control arms and how quickly the thread gets damaged so i just thought that would apply to the tie rod (ofcourse i completely forgot about the female tie ends!)

thanks guys, adjustable it is. the PSR one was the better one for the money since its was thje cheapest solid chromoly one.
no one here had any issues with the 32mm road safe,?????
this one:
or maybe just buy the rod XD

though looking at the figures i guess weight would be something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
There has been at least 1 Road Safe one I think it was on here that broke on the road but vehicle was used in all sorts of conditions.
You say you only do dirt road no hardcore stuff so I don't see any value in you considering heavy duty versions as pretty much all versions sold are already heavier than stock. Especially when budget is a concern

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea FesterGU, i thought so myself but after like ..(from memory) 4-6 people on one thread page kept saying their tie rod from road safe broke i just started doubting it...maybe i should talk to them directly XD
exactly dirt roads at most, just road driving

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
So don't buy the RoadSafe brand is what I'm getting. Just buy the "standard" heavy duty from someone else, don't worry about the extra heavy duty of comp spec ones. For me it's the Superior one with the later GU female ends.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks FesterGU!
ill keep looking for adjustable ones.
i kept away from superior after calling them.....they told me that their stuff is not road legal.... ish. apparently every after market part isint. they write "for off road use only" for legality reasons...however PSR claims they are road worthy.
ill keep my eyes peeled.
thanks again all you that helped. much appreciated.!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
According to Superiors web site they are Street legal as are most of their components there’s days. Looks like they still need signing off but Superior supply data for the engineer/approves to meet code. Most Superior stuff these days carries ADR or NCOP type approval. I find it hard to believe that if their stuff still needs sign off then someone else has something that you bolt on without approval.
I’m not biased towards them but they seem to have done the most work for compliant products.
Are you sure they said they are not legal and do you know the circumstances around PSR’s legality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well i spoke to psr and then emailed them regarding it trying to get them to send it in writing confirming that it is street legal and they said yes.
i called superior (again i have no bias on either brand, im new to this stuff), after i asked about their road legality because i read the "only for offroad use" at the bottom of the page) he said...i quote " its a big grey area". he couldn't give me a definite yes or no. he said all of the products out there are not compliant because they are not manufactured to the exact manufacture specifications. i was kinda surprised to hear that though because coming from a modified sedan background....all parts used are aftermarket/stiffer/stronger/adjustable etc. so i figured theyre all compliant (maybe not) he went on to say that its a big legality thing where we cant give exact certification for it, engineers have to sign it off or some crap. ..which i found strange because when you order a product from them as far as i know (website wise) it indicates 'STREET LEGAL' and says 'APPROVED BY THE NCOP SYSTEM' . so again i have no idea because im getting crossed info.
also ....just thought of something. is the tie rod and drag link practically the same ....where the only difference is the bracket for the damper (removable or not depending on the design). in other words would one fit in both places? are they not the same?

so definite no for the road safe? is that how most here feel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok all good. i spoke to psr again and they said its adjustable but had nothing on the site that indicated so, i guess thats the best option now. thank you all for the help and suggestions.
thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts