Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Still working on the new end tanks but I also got the new air box in.

Don't really understand why the air box outlet doesn't point directly at the mouth of the turbo since it's a radius fab air box and a radius fab manifold. Seems like a missed opportunity to make things easier on their part. Anyway I've got some 4" silicon joiners and a 4" aluminium 45 degree bend so I'm going to try and make it all fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,023 Posts
Don't really understand why the air box outlet doesn't point directly at the mouth of the turbo since it's a radius fab air box and a radius fab manifold. Seems like a missed opportunity to make things easier on their part. Anyway I've got some 4" silicon joiners and a 4" aluminium 45 degree bend so I'm going to try and make it all fit.
It might be designed to go around a second battery.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Paul, did you notch the fan shroud when you put the airbox in? I did when I installed mine - only way it'd fit, really.

You are doing an excellent job - when I read that you work in IT I thought this is gonna be interesting but you obviously have more common sense than most of the IT people I know :roll:

Watching with interest!

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Paul, did you notch the fan shroud when you put the airbox in? I did when I installed mine - only way it'd fit, really.

You are doing an excellent job - when I read that you work in IT I thought this is gonna be interesting but you obviously have more common sense than most of the IT people I know :roll:

Watching with interest!

Yeah, had to notch the shroud, as far as I could see it was the only way to make it fit.

I'm trying to buck the trend of useless IT guys .

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Finally took a few photos of the new end tanks in construction.

I was originally going to just use 1 silicone right angle and go directly up into the bottom of the new end tank. I have decided instead to use 1 hump joiner and 1 2" 180 bend to come into the end tank from the side. It means I have to remake the mount for the vacuum canisters that lived down the side but I was going to do that anyway.
Hopefully with the 180 joiner I will have enough flex to allow for engine movement.
I'm still on the fence about whether to use 2" or 2.5" for the 180 but since the outlet of the turbo is 2" I'm leaning that way.

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Once again the weather gods were flipping me the bird, lots and lots of rain.
Spent Saturday driving around getting all the fluids I need to refill this thing, kind of amazing how many fluids are in a td42. Ended up getting castrol products for the diffs / transfer and transmission. Nulon premix for the coolant and delo 400 for the engine oil. I have had good experiences with all of those products so hopefully I made the right choices.
Sunday I made a bit more progress on the intercooler. The passenger side is on hold until I source a 180 silicone bend, so while I wait I hacked off the other cast end tank and started work on that side. I cut out the top and bottom plates for the drivers side end tank but forgot to take a photo, I did grab this photo showing the position of the silicon in relation to the end of the core.

I also did some work on the other side of the engine bay, refitting the coolant overflow tank and redesigning the mount for the vacuum reservoirs.
Due to the radius fab air box the coolant overflow had to move anyway, I basically just moved it along the wall a bit and used some nutserts with spacers to secure it.
I also had to redesign the vacuum reservoirs because of the top mount intercooler and high mount turbo. To be honest I wanted to move the vacuum reservoirs anyway, there design was dumb and took up heaps of room when they could have been tucked out of the way quite easily. I managed to get them in line on a single piece of aluminium right up against the wall next to the coolant overflow. There is a bit of loom in that area for the power antenna so I spaced the aluminium bracket out 20mm and left the loom as is.

I also started work on my raised shock towers and managed to finish one off. Instead of spacers I picked up a second set of towers from the wreckers. I've cut the second set so I get 50mm extra height when I weld them to my originals. Apart from my slightly ****ty welding it's all going to plan.

I test fit the first one and it works great, plenty of room at the top and it only touched slightly on one side which was fixed with some gentle massaging from a great big hammer.
If your going to extend the towers you need to run a hole saw through the top of the body over the tower, there is no way to access that too nut on the shock absorber without a hole cut in the top.

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Finally got some good weather so for the past 3 days I have been working non stop trying to get the cab ready to paint.
I had a bit of work to do on the top rear of the cab to get the transition from roof to rear wall nice and smooth. Once that was done I sanded the whole car down and then primed the whole thing in jotun penguard hb. I highly recommend this stuff as a primer, it is easy to spray, it forms a nice thick coat and as long as the surface is nicely abraded it sticks like **** to a blanket.
After the penguard went on it was another round of sanding and some finishing putty to cover up small imperfections, pin holes etc.
Finally got the first coat of the colour on this afternoon. By the time I was done I had lost the light but I got a few photos.
Note the ****ty looking spray job on the left of the cab which is due to a malfunctioning gun. Fixed the gun and laid down some nice thick coats on the right.

The surface finish is not meant to be gloss, it is meant to end up as a satin finish. The texture in the paint job is also intentional, I know it won't be to everyone's tastes but I like it.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
Looking fantastic mate, you should be proud of what you've done.

Really looking forward to seeing it all finished... Not, of course, that they're ever finished... :D

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Im so jelous of the guys that can keep their cars off the road for quality work. Im a fabricator but all my stuff needs to be done on a weekend so its very hard to get things nice usually just ends up good enough but no where near the quailty i can do at work

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Im so jelous of the guys that can keep their cars off the road for quality work. Im a fabricator but all my stuff needs to be done on a weekend so its very hard to get things nice usually just ends up good enough but no where near the quailty i can do at work

I'm in the same boat mate it sucks

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yeah, I have a very understanding wife and also a third car so I have been very lucky. It's been off the road for about 12 months now and I absolutely can't wait to drive it again.
When I last drove it, it was a stock standard td42t, I think it's probably going to be a totally different car to drive :)

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yeah, it is difficult doing it all yourself but it is rewarding. I like the challenge and I like learning new things so it has been a good experience so far.
Finished painting the body of the car on Sunday arvo, was completely stuffed after a full day of painting so didn't get any shots of it finished, will try and grab some next weekend and post them up.
I welded in the new rear body mounts this afternoon, I made these out of a bit of 3mm square section that I cut and rewelded.

The body mounts that I'm using are a set of new front mounts. My engineer suggested that I use either front mounts or rear mounts as they are a different design to the rest. I had one of every type of mount that came from the car and the fronts are the only mounts that would fit the way I have put them, everything else is too wide.
I know that these mounts are a bit controversial and some people think they are unneeded, honestly I have no idea as I'm not an engineer but my engineer wanted two mounts at the back so that's what he gets.

Tomorrow I am going to paint the welds and install the new body mounts for the final time. After they are in I can start putting the interior of the car back together again.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
yeah my engineer wanted two rear body mounts either like you have done or put on the back wall and reinforced.
all the guys who say they arent needed generally dont get them mod plated or engineered in the first place.

nice work by the way.
my dual cab shoulnt be much further off either

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
It's probably worth mentioning as well that the spots where I have the body mounts seem to be a bit thicker than normal, possibly 1.5 - 2 mm. I also added a 3mm plate underneath which is plug welded into the body and I made a large 3mm square washer for the top. Hopefully I am spreading the load out as much as I can and will prevent any issues.

·
Registered
nissan
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The outside ones are but the inside ones are fairly ****, I just couldn't get the torch in there. I am confident that given the amount of weight that will be sitting on them they will hold.
There is no way they could be any worse than the factory welds, I think some of the workers might have had their eyes closed when they were welding.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts