Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The great oil debate goes on! Been using HPR diesel 15 in the patrol for the last 2 changes and have noticed it using oil, had to top it up 200ml the first 5000km, now 600ml after 4000km so not getting better, bit disappointed as I've had a good experience with Penrite in motorbikes and other petrol vehicles.

Did a bit of a search it looks that other people have found the same with HPR diesel in the TD42
Was going to go to RX super but when I went to buy only 5ltr bottles left at $20 more than the 10ltr rimula

Rimula R4 X meets DH1 which I think the patrol requires and also has calcuim as it's main detergent that's also a Jap diesel thing.

I know dello 400 is popular but anyone using Rimula with good results I.E not needing to add oil between 5000km

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
I've used Rimula r3 15w40 for the last 3-4 yrs in TD42s with no problems, meets Jaso spec DH1 and keeps inside of engine clean, change at 5kkm intervals and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
Nissan
102 Posts
Using the newer R4 X. All good so far, used for 8 or so months.

TD42T, 176000kms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
To let people know. The company I work for changed from delo to Romulus r3 and we have had 3 engines spin bearings in 6 months. Now using R4 and the issues have stopped with the bearings but oil use is up slightly on the delo. Don't want to tell you not to use it but from my experience I'd use Romulus R4 over R3 atleast and maybe do a sample now and in 15000km and compare findings

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Romulus? Typo, should that be rimula?

We use Rimula in the mining fleet that's motors from C18 up to C175 and QSK60's, don't think we have suffered any lubricant based failures short of a C175 sending 2 con rods out the side of the block that's one out of 40 trucks and we just had a dozer loose a cam bearing and snap 2 rocker arms that was at 98% engine life thou.

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
those bloody C27s doing camshafts is annoying.
our fleet always ran delo and never had any oil related issues. then we started with shell Rimula R3 not romula like i wrote before... and within 6 months we've had to mains spin and i number of other bad samples throughout trucks. So now were running Rimula R4. The R4 seems to be better, and doesn't seem to break down as fast as the R3 but we have had a few bad samples and filter grams aren't looking as clean as they did last year.

like i said, it'll probably be fine, but maybe sampling now and in a few oil changes could be beneficial to see if anything is changing. seeing that you are in mining you should have access to SOS so could do it free even.

as a heads up to those who are in mining/plant, All genuine komatsu service kits have sample kits which are pre paid and have no link to the person who ordered the kit. they are great for doing your car.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
I've said it a thousand times but Nissan oil is $28 a bottle why fuk about with anything else. Never uses a drop and the perfect mix for the dirty 42.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts