Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening lads,
First time poster, long time follower, as you can read by my name I’m abit of a rookie when it comes to patrols but here’s my question. I’ve got an 03 patrol GU TD42 and it’s stock standard other then the aftermarket turbo (unsure of make) and it’s been tuned to 7psi. I’m looking at putting in a Fatz Fab airbox Cross Country intercooler and possibly the plazmaman intake manifold. Will I need to upgrade my fuel pump or can I leave it and what sort of power can I expect from these upgrades. Currently putting out 160HP from memory don’t quote me.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,387 Posts
Hmmmm..........

I cannot imagine why anyone would set the boost pressure on a factory turbo engine to 7psi. Even if it is a conversion with a NA blacktop motor, you still would not run boost as low as 7psi.

Is your vehicle using a factory turbo engine with an 11mm compensated pump??

Changing the components you mention will not increase power or torque on their own. They will help with airflow and intake temps which will allow for a higher state of tune. But that will be limited to the capacity of the 11mm pump.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
This is my take on things.

Decide what you want to achieve, and then figure out if you have the budget to make it happen. As a an example, that Plazmaman intake manifold costs a lot and the money may be better off put towards an injector pump. Maybe.

I would do some more reading on here, and see what can be achieved with the standard injector pump. From memory, most people find themselves in the 130 or so kw mark.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Appreciate the advice @GQshayne, I’ll do abit of research.
Good idea, there is a wealth of info regarding mods to your engine. You can see what each owner has done and what results were achieved. I would also inspect your turbo to find out its specifications. There are a few oddball installations out there, so you need to see what you have, and then assess its suitability.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Hmmmm..........

I cannot imagine why anyone would set the boost pressure on a factory turbo engine to 7psi. Even if it is a conversion with a NA blacktop motor, you still would not run boost as low as 7psi.

Is your vehicle using a factory turbo engine with an 11mm compensated pump??

Changing the components you mention will not increase power or torque on their own. They will help with airflow and intake temps which will allow for a higher state of tune. But that will be limited to the capacity of the 11mm pump.
even 12psi is hardly much with the HT18

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Evening lads,
First time poster, long time follower, as you can read by my name I’m abit of a rookie when it comes to patrols but here’s my question. I’ve got an 03 patrol GU TD42 and it’s stock standard other then the aftermarket turbo (unsure of make) and it’s been tuned to 7psi. I’m looking at putting in a Fatz Fab airbox Cross Country intercooler and possibly the plazmaman intake manifold. Will I need to upgrade my fuel pump or can I leave it and what sort of power can I expect from these upgrades. Currently putting out 160HP from memory don’t quote me.
Thanks in advance
Do you know what turbo you have, it will be interesting if you can find out. How do you know it's tuned to 7psi? Do you have a gauge/

As GQShane said theres many different options and results depending on what way you choose to go and budget of course, if you want performance start with a UFI pump built to the output you desire that the engine is safely capable of

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know what turbo you have, it will be interesting if you can find out. How do you know it's tuned to 7psi? Do you have a gauge/

As GQShane said theres many different options and results depending on what way you choose to go and budget of course, if you want performance start with a UFI pump built to the output you desire that the engine is safely capable of

I’ll have a look and work out what turbo I have on it, when I got it tuned old mate said to get a gauge and set it to 7 psi. I’m chasing something with good power and comfortable, not really at the towing stage yet but definitely something to take out on the weekends and tour

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
I’ll have a look and work out what turbo I have on it, when I got it tuned old mate said to get a gauge and set it to 7 psi. I’m chasing something with good power and comfortable, not really at the towing stage yet but definitely something to take out on the weekends and tour
Find out what turbo you have? Research it and find out what it's capable of

Think how much you want to spend. Will you do it yourself or get someone to do work for you, where are you?

You really need to search the forum and see what others have done and get your head around what's possible and think about what way you want to go and spend?

This has all been discussed at length many times over. I'm someone that was in your position at one point and this forum helped me get my project sorted, but I'm no expert and don't want to give you any bad advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Think how much you want to spend. Will you do it yourself or get someone to do work for you, where are you?

You really need to search the forum and see what others have done and get your head around what's possible and think about what way you want to go and spend?

This has all been discussed at length many times over. I'm someone that was in your position at one point and this forum helped me get my project sorted, but I'm no expert and don't want to give you any bad advice.

Thanks @NissTorq, I appreciate any advice given but yeah I will do full research and look into all the possibilities. I’ll check out what turbo I have and the specs that come with it. I’ve always wanted to put the Fatz Fab airbox and CC intercooler so I’m gonna look for a build that incorporates those bits of gear. I’m chasing a build with good power and is reliable.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
I have HPD front mount. While front mount is best it's hardest to fit, and the fella who fit it for me said would have been cheaper to make one, the HPD kit was a nightmare to fit and was not as it said out of the box fit up kit, needed every part tweeked and extra mods to fit.

Dont bother rebuilding a pump if you go to 12mm just buy a UFI new pump built to your out put specs for under 3k, but you wont need that to get decent power.

I have the radius square filter air box and the snorkel, beter than the round style boxes for flow apparently and cheap filters, I think the twin package from radius was 990 not too bad, may have gone up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have HPD front mount. While front mount is best it's hardest to fit, and the fella who fit it for me said would have been cheaper to make one, the HPD kit was a nightmare to fit and was not as it said out of the box fit up kit, needed every part tweeked and extra mods to fit.

Dont bother rebuilding a pump if you go to 12mm just buy a UFI new pump built to your out put specs for under 3k, but you wont need that to get decent power.

I have the radius square filter air box and the snorkel, beter than the round style boxes for flow apparently and cheap filters, I think the twin package from radius was 990 not too bad, may have gone up.
I got so many questions, I’m gonna start doing some reading so I can gauge what set ups are best for me with those two products in mind.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
I got so many questions, I’m gonna start doing some reading so I can gauge what set ups are best for me with those two products in mind.
Have you got 3" exhaust, that and EGR block make huge difference and are the base for further mods.Even then it's a gutless set up. Next would be turbo, pump, air intake, and most after market turbo upgrades will require all 3 of these addressed. The only AM turbo I'm aware doesn't need them all addressed is the Borg Warner EFR6758, theres a whole thread on that turbo. That's a great option as all things except exhaust can stay stock just wind up fuel on the stock pump, keep factory intake and cooler etc. Anyway that's a pointless discussion depending on what your budget is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you got 3" exhaust, that and EGR block make huge difference and are the base for further mods.Even then it's a gutless set up. Next would be turbo, pump, air intake, and most after market turbo upgrades will require all 3 of these addressed. The only AM turbo I'm aware doesn't need them all addressed is the Borg Warner EFR6758, theres a whole thread on that turbo. That's a great option as all things except exhaust can stay stock just wind up fuel on the stock pump, keep factory intake and cooler etc. Anyway that's a pointless discussion depending on what your budget is.
That’s perfect @NissTorq, that’s the list I was looking for. Yeah I’ve got a GSL exhaust on it which I’m assuming is 3 inch and I’m yet to find out what turbo is on this thing.

·
Registered
nissan
339 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, Matt from UFI, Tough Diesels, I'm sure that's his user name, has a number of threads that's an educational read regarding your questions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I did something similar to my TD42. Factory pump maxed out, factory intercooler, factory turbo set to 15 PSI, 75mm exhaust with dump pipe and no muffler. It made 99kws at the rear wheels when it was finished. The improvement in the engine was amazing and made the car far more driveable. I was stoked - until I hit the first mountain range. The car was powering up the range, I had a big grin on my face but within 60 seconds the temp needle was way in the red. It did this on every mountain range or long hill from then on yet was perfect everywhere else. You may want to consider this before you spend the bucks.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,841 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, Matt from UFI, Tough Diesels, I'm sure that's his user name, has a number of threads that's an educational read regarding your questions.
Very true.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I did something similar to my TD42. Factory pump maxed out, factory intercooler, factory turbo set to 15 PSI, 75mm exhaust with dump pipe and no muffler. It made 99kws at the rear wheels when it was finished. The improvement in the engine was amazing and made the car far more driveable. I was stoked - until I hit the first mountain range. The car was powering up the range, I had a big grin on my face but within 60 seconds the temp needle was way in the red. It did this on every mountain range or long hill from then on yet was perfect everywhere else. You may want to consider this before you spend the bucks.
Not trying to be facetious here, but just because you have a turbo doesn’t mean you don’t have to use your gears appropriately! If it starts to get hot, and this is where an EGT gauge is handy, knock it back a gear, or two if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts