Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Trip to Broome has been "delayed" we've decided to do Broome mid next year due to the weather, heat, rain, possible cyclones and possible closure of lots of things.

Please see our new plan from Perth - > Monkey Mia, Coral Bay and Kalbarri Here: http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/trips-touring-treks-23/coral-bay-monkey-mia-kalbarri-dec-jan-57775/

Hi All,

Well me and the Mrs's have decided its time for a well needed holiday and what better thing to do then to go touring through OZ. We are looking at going to Broome over the Xmas holidays for 3 weeks (or so) departing on the 26th December 2010 and returning around 16th January 2011

I'll break this post into two or three posts so that it isn't a novel to read, but essentially we are looking for info/recommendations and pointers on where we are going, places we are staying at and what gear we are taking. We also would love any recommendations on what to see/must see's and any great 4x4 stuff to do whilst up there.

Whilst i'd love to do heaps of 4x4ing (as much as possible) please keep in mind with recommendations that we'll be travelling by ourselves. whilst we have quite a bit of recovery gear, we don't have a winch or a second car to do a recovery with should we get stuck out in the middle of nowhere

Also as you can see by my signature, my Patrol is pretty much stock. It's got the standard tyres and rims (Yes i'll be checking the wheel nuts before we leave!) No lift on it yet, although I may end up putting in a set of coil spacers just to increase clearance as it wont be possible $$ wise to do a suspension lift.

I'll be updating this post as I add things to the list of stuff we are taking / still to buy and other info to go with it. Plus a list of where we are going, how long we are staying there etc, with the next few posts.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trip details: Perth -> Broome

Rough details of the Trip:

Perth -> Broome Departing Perth on the 26th December at the crack of dawn or earlier.

1st leg:

Perth -> Geraldton
Distance 433kms. Time 5H 30Mins
Details: Stop for lunch

Geraldton -> Kalbarri
Distance: 154kms. Time 2h 10Mins
Details:

Stay 2 nights @ Kalbarri Anchorage Caravan Park. Check in Sunday 26th Dec, Check out Tuesday 28th Dec. Cost $30 p/n powered site.

----------------------

2nd Leg:

Kalbarri -> Monkey Mia
Distance: 375kms. Time 5H 15Mins
Details:

Stay 3 nights @ Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort. Check in Tue 28th Dec. Check out Fri 31st Dec. Cost $35 p/n powered site.

----------------------

3rd Leg:

Monkey Mia -> Coral Bay
Distance: 577kms. Time 7H 15Mins
Details:

Stay 3 nights @ Peoples Park Caravan Village. Check in Fri 31st Dec. Check out Mon 3rd Jan. Cost $36 p/n powered site.

-----------------------

4th Leg:

Coral Bay -> Karratha
Distance: 587Kms. Time 6H 55Mins
Details:

Overnight stay @ Pilbara Holiday Park. Check in Mon 3rd Jan. Check out Tue 4th Jan. Cost $?? p/n powered site.

-----------------------

5th Leg:

Karratha -> Port Hedland
Distance: 241kms. Time 3H 6Mins
Details:

Overnight stay @ Cooke Point Holiday Park. Check in Tue 4th Jan. Check out Wed 5th Jan. Cost $?? p/n powered site.

-----------------------

Final leg:

Port Hedland -> Broome
Distance 611Kms. Time 7H 30Mins
Details:

Stay 7 nights @ Palm Grove Holiday Resort. Check in Wed 5th Jan. Check out Wed 12th Jan. Cost $30 p/n Powered site.

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Return Trip: Broome -> Perth

Space left for return trip details

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
List of gear we have / still to buy

List of gear that we have / still to buy.

This will be for a rough list of things that we have. Major things, not things like how many knifes and folks we have ect lol

What we have camping wise:

1 x Black wolf turbo 300 tent
1 x 3x3 Spinifex Deluxe Gazebo
1 x Fold up table
1 x Self inflating queen mattress
1 x Portable gas stove w/ small gas (4kg?) bottle + Lantern attachment (and spare wicks)
1 x Coleman lantern + Many torches
2 x Fold up chairs
1 x 60l esky - may not take due to engel fridge to be purchased

Other camping:

knives / folks / plates / cups / chopping board / bbq mate + tongs
Sheets / pillows / quilt
Anti mozzi / fly spray + burning sticks

What we have recovery / 4x4 wise:

1 x Max trax (pair)
1 x set of staun tyre deflaters
3 x shovels (1 short handle, 1 fold up, 1 long handle)
1 x air compressor
Recovery straps: Bridal strap / snatch strap / shackels for them
Few ropes & tow rope
heaps of spare fueses + electrical & gaffa tape etc + soldering iron/solder + full toolbox
3 x handheld UHF radio's
Jumper cables

Still to buy - Definate purchases:

1 x full length roof racks
1 x engel fridge

Still to buy - If $$ allow before the trip:

1 x GME TX3340 UHF
1 x Dual battery setup
1 x Scanguage
1 x High lift jack(?) + Jack/Shovel mounts for the roof racks

Recommended spares to take:

(Please suggest)

Spare tyre
Spare hoses
Tyre repair kit
Patrol to be serviced prior to leaving

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car details:

2007 MY2008 Patrol
3L 5 speed
100,00kms (Just clicked over and been serviced)
Nissan Bull-bar (Winch compatible)
2 x Lightforce blitz 240 on front bull bar
Nissan Snorkel

Our Camping Setup:

The Patrol:

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Rather than staying in Port Headland ( except if you have a reason to stay there) I would push on to one of the camping places along 80 mile beach.It's south of La grange there are a number of station stay type places with facilities for camping and caravans.
Haven't been there myself but gotta be a whole lot nicer than Port Headland.

Perth -> Broome Departing Perth on the 26th December at the crack of dawn or earlier.

5th Leg:

Karratha -> Port Hedland
Details:

Overnight stay @ Cooke Point Holiday Park. Check in Tue 4th Jan. Check out Wed 5th Jan. Cost $?? p/n powered site.

-----------------------

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
439 Posts
Hope you like humidity as it will be hot as hell up there that time of year.
And also you could get a cyclone through aswell so be prepared for alot of rain and stinting hot weather.
Since it will be the wet season most things might be shut.
EG Gibb river road and so on.
I hope this won't put you off as it is fantastic up there.
I will be there doing the Gibb river road next April/May.

Cheers
Wayne

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
While at Shark Bay, I enjoyed Steep Point (most westerly point of aust, easy run too) and a run up to Cape Peron. We stayed at Hamlyn station,(best ammeneties I have seen and quiet ). Also really enjoyed Coral Bay,Yardie ck etc. . On the way back maybe detour via Karijini NP, Tom Price area. I agree with WALKAL, expect 40 degree + temps. I was over there last oct last year, geat temp, I was over there in jan a few years before that and it was bloody hot, I actually gave in and stayed in air con cabin some times.
Just love your empty coast, not the hoards over here on the east coast at Xmas, you cant move.

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Rather than staying in Port Headland ( except if you have a reason to stay there) I would push on to one of the camping places along 80 mile beach.It's south of La grange there are a number of station stay type places with facilities for camping and caravans.
Haven't been there myself but gotta be a whole lot nicer than Port Headland.

5th Leg:

Karratha -> Port Hedland
Details:

-----------------------
Agree, Try Pardoo Station, 150Ks past PH, and be prepared for cyclones and HOT weather, once at Broome, don't forget Cape Leveque, and places in between.

Tip: If camping, take a 12V fan with you, makes sleeping so much better:p

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
At Broome, stay over at the Cable beach side (Cable Beach Caravan park has good shade and a pool). The sand flies are nasty over on the Roebuck Bay side of town.

Don't want to put you off but It is bloody hot and humid at that time of year. If it has not rained too much yet, you might be able to get out to the first part of the Gibb River Road at least to Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge. Most of the roads further north start to be closed by then when the rains start but most of the time, you can get back via the main highwy (but don't stay overnight at Halls (Hells) creek).

At least you are travelling light (without a trailer boat or camper) so you should be able to go wherever you like.

If you are up ther a week earlier I will be getting off a boat at Broome port and heading south for Christmas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Mate, i agree with the others wouldn't bother staying at Port Hedland unless you have too. 80 mile is a much nicer place. Its going to be pretty hot and humid its already pushing into and over the 40's most days now. Keep an ear/eye out for cyclones supposed to be a big season this year, however they say that most years so we will see. Coral Bay is a great spot if you could sacrifice a night i'd recommend having a look at the beaches along near exmouth or you could drive along the track from coral bay to yardie creek then along the coast back through exmouth. exmouth town itself isnt really exciting but the beaches are awesome. Hopefully we have some rain before you head up so that some of the gorges and rivers have some water in them to help ya cool off. Broome is a really nice place its hard not to enjoy it.
Cheers Matt.

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
wow! thanks heaps everyone for your replies, I honestly wasn't expecting so many responses :)

After reading through all of the replies above, the general consensus seems to be that its going to be hot and humid, raining with the possibility of a cyclone. I had expected the heat and will be taking a fan with us (as suggested above too) but I hadnt thought about the possibility of cyclones or things being closed.

I can deal with the heat and the rain I hope.. Is it really that bad? As in that it may ruin the holiday?

I'm really keen on going still and think it would be an awesome experience, but I am having second thoughts on if its worth it at this time of the year? The things thats making me have second thoughts are the extreme heat (worried it may ruin the holiday) and the fact that things might be closed/rained out/flooded? - I'd hate to drive all that way to find everything is shut?

Can anyone elaborate more on what may be closed?

Is it still worth going at this time of the year? or should I scrap the plans for now and go somewhere else?

Also another thing that has just come to mind is I had intended on putting most of the bulky gear onto the roof racks (IE gazebo, tent, self inflating mattress, chairs) but if its raining all the time they are going to get soaked?

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ Wa-Troll

Thanks for list of extra things to take with me. I'll add these to the list. Already have at least 10-20l of water with us every time that we head out somewere semi remote :)

I was thinking of skipping karratha instead of port hedland? But with your's and a few other peoples idea of skipping port hedland and going to 80mile beach, I'm thinking that may be a good idea.

After I finish writing this post, I will be checking out how much further past port hedland it is.

Originally I had planned to do:

-----------------------

4th Leg:

Coral Bay -> Karratha
Distance: 587Kms. Time 6H 55Mins

5th Leg:

Karratha -> Port Hedland

Final leg:

Port Hedland -> Broome
Distance 611Kms. Time 7H 30Mins

---------------------------

Then last night we decided to skip Karratha (to gain an extra day up in Broome) So we would go:

4th Leg:

Coral bay -> Port Hedland
Distance 813Kms Time 9H 7Mins

However going from Coral bay, Skipping port hedland and karratha would be:

4th Leg:

Coral Bay -> 80 Mile Beach
Distance: 1167Kms Time 12H 37Min

This may be a bit too far to travel in one day?

@Paulh

Thanks for that, I'll have a look into it after posting here and see if I can add it in :)

@OneUp

Cheers mate, I'll be looking into going to there instead of port hedland. I'm keen as to see / stay at 80mile beach. I was going to settle for just a day trip there from broome (or on the way to/from broome) as I didnt know we could stay there. Oh and thanks for the 12v fan idea, Already had it planned since day 1 when the mrs's told me how hot it would be up there :D

@geordie4x4

Great piece of advice there. I will try and book for the other caravan park instead - I hate sand flies lol

Any ideas what else might be closed up that way? I'll keep an eye on the weather up there right up until we go - although the whole conditions up there can change in a few days of good rain.

I wish we were up there a week earlier but we are both working until the 23rd and then have to be in Perth for Xmas stuff with the family(s)

Are you still up that way between the 26th and the 16th?

@GQ-GECKO

Thanks mate, I'm pretty keen to check out exmouth and their beaches. I had been thinking about trying to stay there over night or possibly two nights on the way back to Perth?

We're travelling as light as we can, but we will most likely have a car full of gear at least.

I was planning on trying to put alot of the gear onto the soon to be purchased roof racks, but now reconsidering giving that its probably going to be raining most of the time were there?

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
I did the trip in Jul 2009 towing a camper trailer. We went coral bay > Karratha in one day ( stopped to visit brother. A trip out to burrup is worth it but in 40C would probably be unbearable.) Then went karratha to broome in one day. Karratha to broome (after the sandfire roadhouse)is the most god awful boring bit of driving you will do on the whole trip. So it would be well worth stopping somewhere along there. The point being you can push on Karratha to Broome in one day and get the extra time in Broome if you want.

You are choosing to do this trip at the hottest time of the year but that should just make swimming all the more enjoyable. I doubt that it will be raining all the time but it will rain some time.

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey all,

well after taking into account the info above, me n the mrs's decided we have been a bit 'ambitious' with how far we are going to go in the amount of time we have. Other factors included the extreme heat, rain, possible cyclones and high probability of things being closed/rained out etc.

we've decided to put off the broome trip till sometime between march and june 2001 instead - we are still keen as to go, but think that we'll get a better experience during this time and give us more time to save up $$ (plus more time to do more mods to the troll :D)

Our new plan is to go for only 2 weeks and go to Coral Bay, Monkey Mia and Kalbarri.

When we go next year we will take 2-3 days and drive straight to broome instead of stopping for a few days at a time trying to see as much as possible.

This way we get to explore monkey mia, coral bay and kalbarri and surrounding areas without having to rush so much.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this thread and gave us information / tips. I was amazed at how much info / tips I got and how quick they were - thank you :)

I'm going to start a new thread, similar to this one for the Perth -> coral bay etc trip that we're going to do instead but leave this one so that should someone else be planning the same sort of trip they can gain use of the excellent knowledge above

Thanks again everyone

Adam

·
Registered
nissan
769 Posts
Hey mate

I have just gotten back from kalbarri last night and it's already bloody hot up there already, but a nice breeze, after 9 in the morn comes in and helps keep the flys away and the temp down!!

I stayed at the kalbarri murchison caravan park and it was fantastic, i would say stay there over the anchorage but it's totally up to you, just my opinion, but we had an awesome time there cant praise the place enough.

cheers

phil

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hello mate!

Well it's been about 15 years since I traveled that way but, from memory, I would recommend trying to include the following as well as other's suggestions:

Cape Range NP (just south of Exmouth).
Karijini NP (amazing gorges and swimming holes in the Hamersley Ranges).
I found Tom Price interesting but try not to get stuck at a train crossing as you'll be waiting a while for those trains to pass ;-)
You could call in at Port Hedland, from memory, some of the ships are huge and worth a look.
I did these in a fully loaded HZ Kingswood, so I'm sure you'll be fine ;-)

Soooooooo jealous mate as I am mad keen to travel the West coast again!

Make sure your aircon is working well. Didn't have it in my Kinga but I don't think I could do it now.

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts