Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, so i've bought my first 4WD.
Its already got alot of what im after done to it but there are a few bits and pieces it doesn't have that i wouldn't risk doing myself as I just dont know anything about it and don't want a half assed job.

So can people recommend shops that can supply and fit 4x4 accessories, I'm after first hand recommendations. I really like shops where you can build a relationship with the guys working on your rig and get to know them. Also a shop that heads out on day trips with customers from time to time would be good.

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im in Perth to sorry guys, SOR but don't mind traveling for a decent shop.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,486 Posts
I've got a mate starting his own business fitting accessories but only limited suppliers and based in armadale.
Otherwise coastal 4x4 are top blokes as are opposite lock jandakot.
I find I mainly head out with members from here now.
I also just buy my accessories direct and either fit myself or ask on here for some help.
Good way to get to know your own truck.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
How far south of the border are you LKM?

ARB Canningvale.

I am north so only know and use Perth4x4 in Balcatta, ARB Osborne Park and Northern4x4 in Wangarra.

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Bogger did the same search all those tittles came up but I meant more, supply fit accessories as im a mechanic myself. The links all seemed to be mechanical inspections and servicing based thread.

Cheers heavensent I Will buy and fit alot of my own stuff there are only a few things i want done by professionals like dual batteries front lokka.

Im in Canningvale Geordie4x4 so i will check em out have you used them before?
Have been in and bought things from Ultimate 4x4 a few times but on two occasions I have asked for prices and never received a call back I don't have any interest in having to chase a company up to spend my money.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,486 Posts
I've known couple of guys randomly made redundant at no notice from ultimate 4wd.
Went in once and they weren't too friendly, don't even bother now.
Armadale 4wd center is also another good one, very good reputation, very friendly and happy to give advice.
Haven't had work done personally but have called in multiple times for advice.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
You're a mechanic and want to pay someone else to fit a locker and dual batteries? Oh dear.

You must have won lotto :)

Unfortunately a lot of the places that had great reputations a few years ago have slipped, either with new owners perhaps or just chasing dealer work and put in less effort with the little guy, which is a shame. Opp Lock in Jandakot have a good reputation, but I haven't been there personally. Lifestyle 4wd in Morley have also been extremely good with me and I was very impressed, but that's NoR so could be a hike for you, but as you say may be worth the travel if you like them. Their mechanic fits diff locks and dual batteries, and has a hell of a winch truck too.

I'd be wary of any places that crack the whip at their blokes to fit everything in five minutes, but of course you don't know until you've seen the finished product...

But seriously like Heavensent said, fitting your own stuff gives you a better understanding of your own truck, is more satisfying and saves you money.

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've known couple of guys randomly made redundant at no notice from ultimate 4wd.
Went in once and they weren't too friendly, don't even bother now.
Armadale 4wd center is also another good one, very good reputation, very friendly and happy to give advice.
Haven't had work done personally but have called in multiple times for advice.
In my opinion anyone who owns or manages a business and is happy to help out with advice shows passion for what they do so i will definitely be in touch with them. Cheers Bud

You're a mechanic and want to pay someone else to fit a locker and dual batteries? Oh dear.

You must have won lotto :)

Unfortunately a lot of the places that had great reputations a few years ago have slipped, either with new owners perhaps or just chasing dealer work and put in less effort with the little guy, which is a shame. Opp Lock in Jandakot have a good reputation, but I haven't been there personally. Lifestyle 4wd in Morley have also been extremely good with me and I was very impressed, but that's NoR so could be a hike for you, but as you say may be worth the travel if you like them. Their mechanic fits diff locks and dual batteries, and has a hell of a winch truck too.

I'd be wary of any places that crack the whip at their blokes to fit everything in five minutes, but of course you don't know until you've seen the finished product...

But seriously like Heavensent said, fitting your own stuff gives you a better understanding of your own truck, is more satisfying and saves you money.
LOL No lotto bud I am half way through building an LS1 for the GU but Im prominently an engine builder and I have learnt the hard way that sometimes if your not 100% sure its cheaper to go the expensive route. Had a few mates all do their dual battery setups and they have had nothing but dramas. Id rather pay a professional and know its spot on than get stuck on the nullabor towing my track car with only myself to blame. Prety much everything else on the car im happy to try myself some of it perhaps with the help of some of the forum members once I get to know a few of you.

Ill swing in to lifestyle 4x4 also and Opposite lock. thanks bud

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
LKM;2596186 LOL No lotto bud I am half way through building an LS1 for the GU but Im prominently an engine builder and I have learnt the hard way that sometimes if your not 100% sure its cheaper to go the expensive route. Had a few mates all do their dual battery setups and they have had nothing but dramas. Id rather pay a professional and know its spot on than get stuck on the nullabor towing my track car with only myself to blame. Prety much everything else on the car im happy to try myself some of it perhaps with the help of some of the forum members once I get to know a few of you. Ill swing in to lifestyle 4x4 also and Opposite lock. thanks bud[/QUOTE said:
:withstup:
Sorry bud but that's the level of love we have:D

Think I would rather blame myself than depend on incompetence of some shop mechanic and not know what was done or what was wrong if it broke down. You're trained as a mechanic and want another to do the work hmmmm, that justifies me doing my own:)
Only work I farm out is fuel system and that goes to UFI

You're not related to Rhys are you:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
Pay ME to do your dual batts then!

Bud it's only three or four wires on some systems :)

As for diff, you would at least take it out and take it to someone, much cheaper than taking the whole car? Again you'd be surprised how easy they often are. I've done my own detroit and a fair few air lockers, and I ain't no mechanic... And I have a mate who's a borderline retard who has done a couple a front Lokka brand ones in patrols and they seem to work.

Back yourself!

If you have issues with batt system in the bush, you're in the best position to fix or temporarily bypass it if you fitted (and understand) it. That's why I do as much as I possibly can to my own, best chance of fixing it in bush, I know how everything goes together and where and how, coz I did it (and I'm a tight arse - clams I've saved on labour bought more toys lol). Besides I'm a a little bit anal about wanting things done properly, and only ONE way that's gonna happen :)

Mate have a go, it's very satisfying - and there's not too many questions you couldn't get answered on here.

·
Registered
Nissan
532 Posts
Hi LKM try ac4wd in midvale, ash runs and owns the shop and is great to deal with and will spend the time talking to you unlike a lot of others, i tried a few places until i found him and so far am happy with what he has done for me.

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the motivational speech there guys lol. Look allot of it also comes down to the fact that I spin spanners 5 days a week at work then generally at least one mate wants an engine built witch takes up time from my weekend so I really dont have the time or the interest in doing even more id rather spend the remainder of my free time out using the Patrol. I will do all the engine gearbox related stuff as i like to know exactly whats in them but as you said boyd you wont do fuel systems I do my fuel systems but don't like playing with electrics.
Each to their own tho dude!!

As for the shotty workmanship of some shop/mechanics thats the reason for this post want to know who isnt that company.

Thanks for your feedback tho guys its great.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I can tell you to steer clear of total nissan and Rockingham Nissan. My bad experiences with them are well in the past now but they still leave a sour taste.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
Pretty sure I come up to borrow the hoist, Greg. You chose to help out :p As for the welding of the exhaust, well that's out of my league ;)
That's the closest my car has every been to a workshop. Except for being locked up at work. Lol

If you go to ARB Canning Vale, go see Jason and tell him Rhys sent you. He'll look after you.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Arb salesman maybe dodgy but not too bad:)
yep he knows the best self help workshop

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
Pretty sure Wangara has been the place to be ever since I moved up there ;)

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a bit of a drive around and visited a few of the recommended shops, and so far Im leaning towards Opposite lock Jandakot, bought a few bits and pieces and got alot of good info off the guys there very friendly service and far better priced than the others and for almost the same products.

Fly over to Qld on Saturday to pick up the car so ill give you a msg when i get back Boyd and Madk1w1
if you guys are still keen on a day out with a noob!!

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Anytime LKM, well as long as I'm home and not flat out:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts