Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have just spent an hour reading through all the threads on pertronix kits and coils etc.... and it seems that no one seems to have a definite answer on what coil to run with the pertronix. People are sayin put relays in for full 12volts aswell....i just want to know what coil to use with the existing resistor, as far as i know its the GT40R ( not the GT40RT )......there seems to be alot of different ideas for the fitment of these...surely there is just one sure way to do it.
Cheers
Joel

·
Registered
543 Posts
I used the flame thrower with mine never had an issue good with gas or petrol. I did away with the resister. I have had it on now for around 5 years and would recommend it to anyone.
It's not confusing just get one and do it lol!!!
Just make sure you get the extended rotor, and use good quality gas leads as well and you will never have a problem again, hopefully.
Mine has been super reliable since doing it. I have disabled the choke and starts on gas and very tractable from cold.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey guys,
I have just spent an hour reading through all the threads on pertronix kits and coils etc.... and it seems that no one seems to have a definite answer on what coil to run with the pertronix. People are sayin put relays in for full 12volts aswell....i just want to know what coil to use with the existing resistor, as far as i know its the GT40R ( not the GT40RT )......there seems to be alot of different ideas for the fitment of these...surely there is just one sure way to do it.
Cheers
Joel
Start simple - maybe save your money and try it with the factory coil and see how it goes. I suspect there is a lot of BS on this subject. I fitted electronic ignition to my Mav about 10 years ago (not a Pertronix - I didn't know about them and built a kit) and the factory coil worked fine as did a black Bosch standard aftermarket coil which I bought as a spare for remote touring and left in after testing. It is still all going well and is a huge improvement on the factory points set up once the dizzy gets some wear. I also didn't bother with the extended rotor button, but I did replace the original plug leads with Bosch coiled wire ones.

I don't have gas, so my needs are a little bit simpler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts