Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Water won't go in the air intake as easily.

I was considering not getting one, but as soon as I fix my front quarter panel, I'll be getting one.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,803 Posts
the air tends to be a little cleaner at top of roof height rather then bonnett heigth as well.
Al

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
Its all basicly the same advantages as a diesel.
The you move onto water proofing electrics, which is easy.
Silastic sealant around the dizzy cap and run a breather hose to the firewall
And the best one i have found is putting a pump of silastic in the lead ends then pushing it onto the plugs, seals it up nicely. and no missing when you have contact with water.

·
Registered
nissan
1,113 Posts
Just looking at getting a snorkel for my 4.5 petrol GU, my thoughts are that even if i end up with a missing engine after a water crossing, as long as i can get to the other side, i can easy fix/dry it out and get it running sweet again, but without a snorkel, you could end up with a seized engine.

Dont forget to extend your diff/transmission breathers as well.:)

It would be interesting to hear what sort of water (how deep) people with petrol engines are going through, and with what mods ?

·
Registered
nissan
337 Posts
Hey A4B

Not that I go out of my way to go through water ( it just buggers up things over time ) but I have recently done Cape York with water over the bonnet a few times in my 4.8. Had no issues at all. I do have a snorkel and was using a car bra on the deep crossings.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,270 Posts
Hey A4B

Not that I go out of my way to go through water ( it just buggers up things over time ) but I have recently done Cape York with water over the bonnet a few times in my 4.8. Had no issues at all. I do have a snorkel and was using a car bra on the deep crossings.
A tarp or something over the front of the vehicle is very important and often ignored for deep water crossings.

Engine bays are pretty resistant to water these days but in the age of low quality fittings electrical fittings + heat you will find the less contact they have with moisture the better.

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Many years ago in my old V8i Discovery (with dizzy not coil packs) I had to cross a road by Exmouth. The road was flooded due to a cyclone. The water was over the bonnet. I made it across OK although she was running on about 6 cylinders. A quick squirt of WD40 and all was well. So, yes a snorkel will help. If nothing else it will stop you hydraulicing (sp?) your engine.

HTH

Ivan

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
A snorkel will induce more colder air (Under bonnet temps get hot)
More cold air better running engine
Goin in deep water crossings over the bonnet, there would be more to worry about than colder air

·
Registered
nissan
1,113 Posts
Plus,don't forget, having a Snorkel just looks cool as well ! :cool: (ha-ha)

I also like the idea i can buy a "pre filter" for some snorkels, then you can slip it on if you are travelling on dusty roads in a convoy, may extend the life of your normal filter ?

·
Registered
nissan
1,959 Posts
Most petrols are fine in deep water with a little prep that has already been outlined.
If your going to have a problem with water you will soon know because steam is usually the main thing that causes the missing long before actual water gets on the electrics.
As for snorkle on petrol, just as important as diesel in my opinion.

And as for an example of a dizzy petrol driving some deepish water see below :)
Deep muddy water video by CHRISMAV_2007 - Photobucket

1 - 13 of 13 Posts