Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, its getting more and more irratating to come across the "perfect thread" with interesting pertinent information only to have it mooted by missing photo uploads because of the use of photbucket etc. I've never used it/them myself and won't now either.. no idea why they dont show up in forums, P4x4 is not the only one I've come across that has the " photo is not longer available" message with the missing image ( the more cynical side of me says this is advertising in a sort of pathetice manner ( ie this is us but we're crap kind of way)..... no such thing as bad publicity !!!

Pretty please find other more suitable photo hosting services that actually keep the photo in question or resize it to be able to host here here on p4x4...Picasa 3: Free download from Google for the win/mac app that is really easy to re size photos if you are not IT orientated.

it somewhat pointless, particularly when a post/thread that you start or contribute to with photos linked/uploaded then looses them. Some posts/threads reall are all about the photos ( picture tells a 100 words etc. etc.)

Mods any chance of changing the photo upload parameters/ restrictions on size /resolution etc. ???

these forums are such a wealth of information, interest and reference and will be lost due to the freebie attitude of some photo wholesale hosting sites like photobucket because of the potentially restrictive image requirements of firums.. yep I know that hosting costs money and I'll be in the line to become a lifetime member to help out... I'd be lost without you guys helping out.

any thoughts on other free hosting services that are more persistent ?
P:iconbana:

·
Registered
nissan
1,190 Posts
I think you will find the only reason Photobucket images dissapear from threads, is that the people who have the "original" image (in photobucket) go ahead and delete them !

I keep all my old photobucket images in my albums for this reason as i do agree it is frustrating sometimes

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Or they re organise their photobucket and move the image to a different folder and then the URL will not be accurate and the image is lost to the forum.

Yes it sux! You can PM the poster and ask them to sort out the image again for that post though, i have done this a couple of times and the OP had no idea it was unavailable and made good within a day.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I think you will find the only reason Photobucket images dissapear from threads, is that the people who have the "original" image (in photobucket) go ahead and delete them !
Plehmann... your bagging the wrong dudes... it isn't the Web hoster such as Photobucket.

A4B is correct the image becomes unavailable because the person who put it on the Host Site has deleted the image, their account or made the image private so it can no longer be shared.

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well It'd b better surely to upload them direct ? what'd be the reason to host them on phtobucket/flikr etc rather than direct .. size/resolution reasons aside ?
Piers

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
what'd be the reason to host them on phtobucket/flikr etc rather than direct .. size/resolution reasons aside ?
Piers
Thats a couple of the main reasons... the server space that Clubs and most smaller Forums would be astronomical if they host all the pic's.

Another is security etc... you have to allow access to your site for the pics to be viewed.

If you notice the pic's loaded on here aren't visible unless you log on so anyone surfing for info can't see them so back yo your original issue.

Agree that logging on and loading the pics does give the best results for ensuring availability for the future for Forum members tho

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I guess that I'm leaning towards increasing the ability to upload slightly larger files... it'd make a difference in uploading better pictures.. they don't need to be 300DPi monsters but at least the usual 72dpi( if I remember correctly). I cant remember of the top of y head what resolution/size in meg is actually allowed...but a raise to 1024x 768 would be beneficial...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
fotobucket is slow as a 2.8 GU these days... takes forever to logon and upload photos.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
The only real solution for people linking to images from hosting sites, is for them to make a note when they do so so that (hopefully) they won't go ahead and delete or mod their pic folders without realising the impact to their topics.

Common problem on all internet forums...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts