Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thanks for reading my post, to start with I am a sparkie not a mechanic so that explains the question above..maybe. I have just ordered a safari snorkel, 2inch lift kit with air bags and a 3inch exhaust and would love to find a site or references on how to do. I am reasonably capable but like to be prepared, have tried you tubing with limited success. Is there a dedicated part of this forum or others that may be able to assist my preperation with short vids or pics. My mate showed me one for "toyotas" and I was hoping there would be something similar for us Nissan owners.

By the way thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Best way is to buy a workshop manual for your patrol mate it will tell you how to change shocks & springs etc. I am a motor mechanic & I always buy a manual for a refrance, they also tell you factory specs & if special tools are need to do a job. I have a 2" lift with air bag assists & it's not hard to fit more or less the same as fitting standard shocks & springs. You don't need extended brake lines but you do need to extend your brake pro portioning valve 2" up (by extending the bracket on the back diff)

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
ChartersKnY, I'm not a mechanic and I've installed a few lift kits. It's not real difficult but you do need a good level surface to work on, good stands and a good floor jack. Oh, and a few tools ;)

·
Registered
nissan
526 Posts
easiest way to do the rear........ disconnect sway bar, disconnect and remove shock, flex suspension until coil comes loose then remove coil. replace with new one, put new shocks onto mounts and you have one side of the rear done in about 3mins flat, same can be done for the front but you'll need to use a highlift jack or lifting device of some kind to pull one side of the front upwards and travel the suspension (cant do the flexing trick, has to be lifted)..

iv got 2 different sets of coils for my ute and depending on what driving im doing i can have all 4 coils changed out with the others in 20 mins flat.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Hi all thanks for your replies, I will be tackling the task on Wednesday as well as a 3inch exhaust and a safari snorkel. Wish me luck this will be a huge learning curve.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Welcome to P4x4. You are going hard for someone new to this stuff :)

You'll be fine. Leave the snorkel to last, as it involves cutting panels and you want to be warmed up after your successful lift install.

There's heaps of info here on everything you are about to tackle. Our search engine isn't the best, so rather than clicking on "Search" in the grey toolbar, look a little higher and find the 'Google Custom Search' that lives in the big red panel at the top... it will search our forum and tends to return better results than the board search function.

If no joy from that then please don't hesitate to ask more questions; you'll get the answers you need.

And as you go about your tasks, take a few pics, write a few things down, then start a Members Rides topic and show us what you did...

·
Registered
802 Posts
A suspension lift is a fairly straight forward job and once you have done it you will think it was easy, but it is a dangerous job to both the novice and experienced, especially if doing it in the driveway.
Just take your time and think each step through and do one corner at a time. Don't get under the vehicle at any time. Use good quality jack stands under the chassis and a decent trolley jack to lower the axles.

Where are you located? there maybe a member close by who will talk you through it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome

Cheers Squalo and ****** for your advice, tips on searching and welcome, feel at home already.

Got home from work early yesterday so I tackled the 3 inch exhaust, wasn't as bad as I thought so hopefully the lift kit and air bags are the same. Was happily surprised when all the bolts came undone without giving me too much grief, before it got dark and in under 3 hours my son and I had the new exhaust fitted. Today we will put the manifold cover and the intercooler covers back on and give her a start, fingers crossed little worried about the noise as the cat converter is a bit smaller on the new one and there is only one muffler, the big one in the centre there is no small one on the end like the genuine one.

So I have three days left off and hopefully I get to smash out a few things on my to do list, exhaust almost done, 2 inch lift kit with airbags at rear, safari snorkel, HID conversion on head lights and spot lights, new 6.8 inch ken-wood stereo with reversing camera, anderson plug wired back to battery for solar panel hook up and a few extra 12v outlets in the cab for the munskins and their tablets on long trips. Maybe I need a few more days……

After searching for countless hours for information on how to stuff I have decided to take pictures of my projects and upload so that others with the same questions can gather a bit more info that hopefully might help them out if they are newbies like myself, sharing is caring thats the beauty of sites like this.

Update coming.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Donskie

2 inch lift kite, done, air bags, done, snorkel, done, 3 inch s/s exhaust, done. Tomorrow is a new day and in go the hid spotlight upgrade, another learning curve. Took over 100 pics so once I get a bit of spare time I will post the sequence.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another challenge over.

Fitted the HID upgrade to the spot ties and the hid upgrade to the low and high beam. It was very difficult getting the pins back onto the light bulb to hold it in place had to remove the air box but all done. Will go for a drive tonight and test the old girl out.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Mate, you've got more done to that car in 2 days than I've done in 4 months. Slow down, will you, you're showing us all up8)

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More to go

Geez this electrician is getting educated on the mechanical side of a Nissan, slowly of course.
After a lot of reading I have decided to fit a daws valve with a dump valve, egt and oil catch can.
Our car has 170k on the clock can anyone tell me is it necessary to clean the intake manifold. It sounds like its a big job so a little worried to tackle it especially if its not necessary.

The reason for all the work is we tow a van and live in WA for work, we travel home to Charters Towers and back once a year so the old girl needs to be as sound as we can get her for the long haul.

By the way thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Help needed

Hi all forum users I have been on the site most of the day following threads on intercoolers and am so confused.

Q replacement intercoolers range from $350 ebay to $1300 other suppliers.

I have noticed a small weep in the corner of my intercooler while looking at the intake pipe to see how gummed up it was, that was a few days ago and since then I am stuck.

I want to replace the intercooler so should I get it recored, buy one that is already done i.e ebay or go for an upgrade, considering the price difference I am struggling to justify the upgrade possible because there is a lot of conflicting info on the supposed benefits.

If anyone has some rock solid info on a replacement THEY have done I would love to hear from you, did you get better power balance, fuel economy etc. The ones with the fans seem to have a problem with fan frames busting, the other thing is I don't want to fit a bigger scoop and I want it to just fit straight in i.e no cutting holes removing rubber, adding different rubber etc.

Help appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
1,820 Posts
Hi all forum users I have been on the site most of the day following threads on intercoolers and am so confused.

Q replacement intercoolers range from $350 ebay to $1300 other suppliers.

I have noticed a small weep in the corner of my intercooler while looking at the intake pipe to see how gummed up it was, that was a few days ago and since then I am stuck.

I want to replace the intercooler so should I get it recored, buy one that is already done i.e ebay or go for an upgrade, considering the price difference I am struggling to justify the upgrade possible because there is a lot of conflicting info on the supposed benefits.

If anyone has some rock solid info on a replacement THEY have done I would love to hear from you, did you get better power balance, fuel economy etc. The ones with the fans seem to have a problem with fan frames busting, the other thing is I don't want to fit a bigger scoop and I want it to just fit straight in i.e no cutting holes removing rubber, adding different rubber etc.

Help appreciated.
When you replace your intercooler it will get gummed up again by oil after a while I would suggest fitting an oil catch can which you have mentioned a lot of people have done to prevent it from happening again. The most popular one that works properly is a Provent 200 which Western Filters sell. I've been looking at fitting a frozen boost intercooler to my GQ later on they seem pretty cheap .Front Mount Intercooler

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply

When you replace your intercooler it will get gummed up again by oil after a while I would suggest fitting an oil catch can which you have mentioned a lot of people have done to prevent it from happening again. The most popular one that works properly is a Provent 200 which Western Filters sell. I've been looking at fitting a frozen boost intercooler to my GQ later on they seem pretty cheap .Front Mount Intercooler
Hi Batt's once you start on these upgrades you can't stop, so far I have got new suspension including airbags on rear, free flow exhaust, cleaned the intake manifold yesterday "bugger of a job" but needed it, safari snorkel, EGT and boost gauges, Daws and flow control valve, ERG blanking plate, oil catch can, have a new HPD intercooler upgrade on it's way " after much deliberation", hid upgrade to hi and lo and spots "not 100% happy with the result though", new stereo with reversing camera and gps via samsung phone plugged in, now considering a turbo timer and that should be it. If it isn;t don't want anybody telling me what it is cause the wife is umm not quite over the moon with all the bling lol. This site is awesome when it comes to finding out about stuff for your 4wd. When I get a bit more time I want to post a few pics of the work just incase it helps someone else out along the way. Anyway Batt's thanks for the reply, still trying to find out weather I need to put a hole in my ERG plate to prevent or stop a fault code.

·
Registered
nissan
1,820 Posts
Hi Batt's once you start on these upgrades you can't stop, so far I have got new suspension including airbags on rear, free flow exhaust, cleaned the intake manifold yesterday "bugger of a job" but needed it, safari snorkel, EGT and boost gauges, Daws and flow control valve, ERG blanking plate, oil catch can, have a new HPD intercooler upgrade on it's way " after much deliberation", hid upgrade to hi and lo and spots "not 100% happy with the result though", new stereo with reversing camera and gps via samsung phone plugged in, now considering a turbo timer and that should be it. If it isn;t don't want anybody telling me what it is cause the wife is umm not quite over the moon with all the bling lol. This site is awesome when it comes to finding out about stuff for your 4wd. When I get a bit more time I want to post a few pics of the work just incase it helps someone else out along the way. Anyway Batt's thanks for the reply, still trying to find out weather I need to put a hole in my ERG plate to prevent or stop a fault code.
Yeah the mod list is never ending whish I could convince her the mods are for her as well because I'm always thinking of her when I shopping for my next item but she's not that gullible.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I put a Frozenboost on my GQ and it made quite a bit of difference. Lower EGTs, could turn the fuel up a bit more, ran higher boost. Only issue I ever had with it was a collapsing silicone elbow under high vacuum which was rapidly diagnosed by the gurus on this forum. Apparently you are supposed to change silicone hoses every couple of years!

You'll need to be reasonably handy with the spanners, unless they've come up with a specific kit for the GQ. It's a universal kit which means you'll have to make up brackets etc.

Here's a few photos of my install:

Turbo Install Photos by alexb1951 | Photobucket

1 - 18 of 18 Posts