Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PID DIESEL calls on Australian 4WD Industry for support | PID Diesel Engineering

Australia’s leader on Duramax Diesel Performance and conversions, PID Diesel Engineering is shocked to learn that other Australian 4WD businesses are imitating its products.

Overnight social media was flooded with posts regarding imitation PID Hydro Boost Brake Kits which were engineered and designed by PID Diesel over 12 months ago.

PID Diesel Engineering is calling on all supporters to get behind a social media campaign that will kick off today. Supporters are asked to post a photo of their 4WD’s via instagram with the hashtags #supportPID #supportinnovation

PID Diesel Engineering Director, Heath Lawson said that PID prides it’s self on being an innovative leader in the industry that has always strived to put new products in the Australian 4WD industry.

“It’s really sad to see time and time again other businesses ripping off our designs and products, we put a lot of time and effort into research and we would think that other businesses should be using their own knowledge and research to create better products for their customers as opposed to creating an imitation PID Product.

Heath said PID has just begun a five month break from the retail MARKET, where the team is fully focused on research and development while getting set to expand it’s services and staff in Queensland.

“PID Diesel has some exciting products and innovative designs to hit the MARKET in 2015 but if we don’t have the support of customers and the Australian 4WD Industry on this than we won’t make our products available in kit form, we will just go back to everything being in house.

“Our brake kit is a high quality kit specifically designed for GU 4.2 3lt & GQ Patrols and has been engineer approved for Nissan Patrols in all states and territories in Australia,” Heath said.

Kits were available ONLINE at piddiesel.com since February but have now been pulled off and all sales must be made via contact with Heath to ensure genuine customers only are sold the kits, for those interested email [email protected].

2006 was the turning point in the Australian diesel performance industry, with PID embarking on the first Duramax Allison conversion into a Nissan Patrol cab chassis.

PID has bought innovation to the conversion MARKET within Australia. With the first Common Rail DIESEL LBZ Duramax/ 6 Speed Allison transmission conversion into a Nissan patrol.

PID DIESEL calls on Australian 4WD Industry for support | PID Diesel Engineering

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
:rolleyes: Who gives a **** if Marks are also doing the same hydro boost conversions. I don't see ARB sooking because other companies sell bullbars. I don't see Warn cracking the sads on Facey because Ironman sell winches. I don't see Castle Main Rod Shop, Marks Adapters, Dellow, etc having a cry because another company also sell a conversion bellhousing the same as theirs.

If its so precious and innovative, patent it. If you don't or can't stop ****ing sooking.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
PID didn't invent hydro boost braking but i can understand they are upset if others have copied their gear outright rather than develop their own kits.

So are the other kits copies?

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
I cannot see anything on marks website? Or is it on facebook? Its only a conversion using something from a yank tank.

Possibly a publicity stunt? I dont have facebook so cannot see if something is on there if thats where marks update the most.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
I cannot see anything on marks website? Or is it on facebook? Its only a conversion using something from a yank tank.

Possibly a publicity stunt? I dont have facebook so cannot see if something is on there if thats where marks update the most.
Its on Facebook. It is just a yank unit conversion

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
I reckon its good someone is making a stand against other large companies knocking off products that small businesses develop.

Its not just a bell housing or something else that a dozzen companies already sell. It was developed by Heath and his team specifically for the patrol and they spent the time and money to have it properly engineered and adr approved for road use etc..

So I can understand the frustration when another company just goes and buys a kit off his site, sends it off to a copy factory and claims they designed their own and are now selling in bulk at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Its not a cheap knockoff they are priced similar to pids units.

The pics look quite good on marks page of their unit. Possibly they have improved on the unit first designed by heath as I know zoltan had a few minor issues with fitment on his gu.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Also doesn't help that he never has stock
PID Diesel Hydro Boost Kit | PID Diesel Engineering

And that he's closed his business to retail.

I don't get Heath's game, who the **** does he think he is? Is no one allowed to do Duramax conversions while he's off closing his retail to focus on R&D, so no other competitor can get another leg up on the conversion he made popular (see Mark's adapaters again have a far superior conversion kit to his home-made, backyard engineered stuff).

The dude is a joke, this situation is a joke, as Justin said, "Storm in a tea cup".

Would you like me to delete the thread yet?

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Maybe delete, but it's the only way people like me get news and a laugh in one. I would never have heard of it otherwise.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Yeah, I'll leave it for now. I think its pure BS, more so than anything ever said in the Political threads

Reactions: 92GQ

·
Registered
Nissan
7,119 Posts
Meh... :) You can only be unique for so long before someone has a crack at it. Heaven forbid they do it better than you do for whatever reason. I get that he is bothered by someone else doing his idea. But he didnt make the hydro booster, all he did was make a kit. Good on him :)

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Its the tip of the iceberg for him and his company fyi.

People forget that he basically has been at the forefront of diesel performance for more than a decade now.
Before the duramax project was his patrol which at the time destroyed anything else that was around by a long way.

I was lucky enough to work with him and see the projects he was working on unfold at the time. Believe me when I say the duramax conversion is not a simple one and that ALOT of time and money was spent making it work at all, letalone work very well.
Once the word got out and the results started to show up, every man and his dog started hounding him to sell them the kit at a super discounted price so they could retail if for +35% and sell a dozzen a week etc...

The industry as a whole will be at a significant loss if he were to pull up stumps.
Cant say I would be to keen on continuing to produce innovative products if the same competitor kept buying the product, copying it and reselling it.
Weather it is better/worse/instock or what ever.. the main point is that its a continuing trend by the same people in the industry to just take an item and copy it because it is good.

·
Registered
nissan
578 Posts
I am not going to weigh into who is right or wrong as I have bought product and had good service from both companies. Public forums are probably not the best place to deal with this issue for any company.

When you own a business of any size you operate on a knife edge of success or failure. It costs serious money for R&D which at the retail price and market size for these components would probably not be recovered. Patent costs would be out of feasibility. There is little real money to be made for the effort and risk.

Heath is a creative innovator which the world needs more of. We should not be bagging one of the leaders in this field for having a bad day.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts