Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
GU Patrol
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okie dokie, well my bro wanted to change the cd player in his patrol that he bought a few weeks ago. I done it for him and redone the wiring for it so it was all soldered. I used the pink/black wire for ground. Pretty certain the current cd player was already using it but not sure. Anyways all was good. Few days later he wanted his uhf in it. I put it in and wired it up to the same ignition and ground wire that the cd player was using.

Later that night he was driving and smelt sumfin funny but didnt think much of it. The next morning someone told him he had no tail lights. He got the mechanic at his work to have a look on his lunch break and well the tail light fuse was melted...and it was melted right through the loom from the fuse box to the parkers. And from the fuse box into the wiring behind the cd player and the new wiring i done.

I googled it and seen it's a common problem because the pink/black wire is for the dimmers of sumfin. But apparently it's ground but when the headlights turn on it chances to 12v. I also read that it normally just blows the tail light fuse.

So why would it now just melt the fuse and fuse holder and cause the wire to melt all through the loom. How come the fuse didnt just blow and leave it at that?

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Yes this common fault. I recall that wire its also linked to the center compass and I often got them mixed up. The pink is the problem for sure it always blows the rear lights and the compass will be dim all the time. To test you just keep using the meter till you find a live. Then check with ignition off and on for the ignition live.

Yes it will just blow the fuse but it shouldn't melt the fuse box. But if you had the UHF on it then it may pull to many amps, over heat and then fuse. Also make sure you don't use the shinny blade fuse. They are fakes from china or some tin pot factory. The blade fuse blades must be dull grey. You also need to make sure you had the correct fuse fitted. Im surprised it dint blow the fuse as soon as you TX on UHF.

You need a multi meter but the black is earth. You also ground the head unit with ground wire as-well.
You head unit may have yellow and red wires. One is for memory and one if for ignition. Check the size but i am sure the yellow is ignition and red is battery. A quick multi meter test will solve this issue in seconds.

If you don't have a multi meter use a 12volt bulb. solder on some wires and do it that way. Thats how they use to build Land Rovers up till 2005 im sure.

The UHF has to go back to the battery. Im not sure of your watts but its not a good idea to run a and two way radio from such a small cable. Unless its rated for it and most of the wires in that area are not. Your UHF power cable should be rated to 30 amps constant load for neg and pos. Return both wires to the battery with inline fuse for 30 amps. This also a safety feature that should you loose the keys you can still smash the window and get a call out. The UHF then needs to be grounded and in the Patrol behind the glove box are several good areas to ground it. Use a SWR meter to make sure your all good on the coax cable RG58 is the cable you need in the Patrol. The antenna cable should run in the middle of the Patrol floor and under the center fridge and then up the pillar or back door. Its not wise to run it down the side of the Patrols as there already ECU harness in the same area and you may get static.

After you melted his fuse box are you still talking?

Electrical wires and fires. Once they start to glow red and it starts burning its a hell of mission to stop it even with the correct fire extinguisher. If you can not cut the source its a major problem

1 - 2 of 2 Posts