1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day Guys,
2009 Nissan Patrol ST
I think I am in the process of solving this problem, but, I thought I’d make this post anyway as there don’t seem too many posts about it.

My Mrs. Gave me a ring yesterday morning 10km from home saying the car overheated and there was a milky liquid coming out of the front. After going out to have a look we found a pink milky discharge from the front passenger quarter panel. After it had cooled down a bit we also found the radiator was pretty much empty.

We filled the radiator and drove back home and drove it 10km back home. After having a look I found the transmission breather was located high up in the front quarter panel and was the culprit for the pink milky liquid. We also found that the transmission was full of water and the cooling system was full of ATF!!
Turns out that ATF goes into the radiator to either cool or be heated (I dunno which) and somehow the coolant is leaking into ATF and vise versa in the radiator. The result seems to be a pretty big and expensive problem.

Anyway the blokes at Brome Nissan were pretty good considering we are 250km outta town and reckon if flush the transmission until it goes clear again that it should be ok. In addition we need to flush the AFT out of the engine with a store bought coolant flush, replace the radiator, all of the hoses (which needed to be done anyway this service), change both radiator caps and clean out the overflow tank and we should be right……hopefully.

So far I have disconnected the transmission from the radiator and flushed it with 20Lt of ATF. Still coming out milky so will have to keep flushing.

Wish me luck…..I’ll keep you posted.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Yes unfortunately it does happen ocassionally, some disconnect from the heat exchanger and run a separate transmission cooler to ensure it does not happen again. You are in an unfortunate position being so far away from help, was that Broome you referred to? If so which direction? Mate I wouldn't leave it too long to get the tranny looked at fairly closely, this could cause other issues down the track, both literally and proverbially :).

Be very careful about refilling the coolant, hot spots from air pockets is not unknown there is a thread in the ZD30DI Archives (post 11, maintenance threads) re coolant change and the best way to do it.

·
Registered
nissan gu
23 Posts
And you will not have to replace the radiator if you plug the cooler lines going into the radiator and run a separate transmission cooler. Just another option for you... If may or may not be cheaper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts