Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1997 GQ TD42 with after market turbo mild boost..14 psi.Always serviced. Has piston picked up in no6 cylinder.

Question...Will turbo pistons fit??? Are finished liners the way to go.??Can i or should i fit additional oil squirters??The rest of the pistons and bores are ok. Trying to do all the work myself as like a lot of you are on a budget...And dont want this to happen again
Andy

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,227 Posts
G'day Andy.

I cannot give you the answer you are after I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else can.

But from personal experience, you need to be very careful with rebuilding the TD42. If you have not done so already, IO suggest you do some reading on this forum on the subject of rebuilds. You need to be careful with parts supply, and also techniques used for liner installation. Very important.

My thoughts on your piston query is that they won't fit. Your engine has different specs to the early GQ engines, referred to as a "Silvertop" and also the later turbo spec engines. Journal sizes are different as well as piston pins I think. So the only option would be to change the lot I think. Someone else will know hopefully.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,851 Posts
Your 97 GQ will accept T pistons due to the 30mm pin. You will or should change the squirters to T versions as they are longer and the oil pump should be replaced with the T version its bigger.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,227 Posts
Your 97 GQ will accept T pistons due to the 30mm pin. You will or should change the squirters to T versions as they are longer and the oil pump should be replaced with the T version its bigger.
So the NA Blacktop has the 30mm pin? I thought it was smaller than the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts