Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning fellas.
Many decades ago I was a cycle tragic. Norton and Trumpies were my choice of weapon and the odd kickass Japper. Even after all these years I can't get them out of my blood so have been poking around the net checking out old and cheap barn find types as a possible resto project.
Not that they interest me much, but keep coming across small scramblers called pit bikes.

Never heard the term before, can anyone tell me what the 'Pit' refers to?

Cheers....Lionel.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Can't help your question. I'm not sure whether all if them are cheap and Chinese, but the local bike shop refuses to touch them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
A pit bike is a small off-road/on-road motorcycle originally used for riding around the pits or staging area of a motocross race. Since the early 2000s pit bike racing, a sport similar to motocross, has become popular in the United States, especially in Southern California. The term pit bike can also be applied to the use of bicycles or motorcycles used to navigate any type of event staging area.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Registered
nissan patrol
59 Posts
Keep away from cheap chinese Crap. Cant get parts. Speaking from experience after my boy stacked his mates bike.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,180 Posts
My sister got one dirt cheap, about $700.
Pile of crap, engine was slow to rev, suspension was so bad it was terrifying above 40-50km/h, but good fun to thrash the guts out of until the carby pooped itself after a few rides.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Get a Braap or moto vert pit bike if your gonna get quality.

My mate had a chinese one, tiny little bike but it had a liquid cooled 250cc engine. Man that thing was scary, it would want to flip the bike in all gears so you had to be very careful on tarmac.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,295 Posts
You can get 2 stroke ktm copy's for 5 hung would be good fun . I personally have had a ball on the 140 pit bikes with me and a few mates up the bush, add some rain and a few op rum cans and it's a day packed full of excitement and bruises.

Sent using carrier pigeon from Bill Lawrie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts