Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Nissan patrol 3.0 CRD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,
My wife, two kids (will be 4 and 2) and I are planning a lap of oz with a caravan in a couple of years. I am hoping to hear of others experience of how a manual ZD30 will hold up towing. I am at a crossroad of getting my car back on the road and investing in it to take with us, or get it back on the road and sell for a LC200.

Plan A went rapidly south as I installed a big HPD intercooler and scoop with an eclipse turbo. There is another thread on this, but in short it has pressurised the coolant and oil after its first run, and has been in the shop for a few weeks (head or piston I assume).

Back to the question, who has done some big towing trips with their ZD30? What sort of weights were you towing? Good? Bad?

We have recently sold the camper trailer in the hopes of getting a full height caravan. Will require shower/toilet/bunks with power and water for at least a few days off grid. I guess 19ft, 2.7-3 tonne. Invest more in the patrol? Or get a v8 land cruiser?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a 2010 GU. I would happily do a big trip in it. I think I would get frustrated with its lack of comfort and performance on a multi year trip.

200’s are a nice car. But I wouldn’t discount a Y62 Patrol. It will drag any van anywhere you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,239 Posts
In 2006 and 2007 I did exactly what you are planning. Wife (6mth pregnant) 2.5yo toddler and me in a 2001 zd patrol (std) and a Jayco expander caravan with ensuite and expanding lounge on one side. It was awesome! Weighed a tad over 6 tonne all up.

Kid number 2 was born in Darwin on the way round!

To answer your question your patrol with a bit of fruit will get you everywhere you want to go, using about the same amount of fuel towing as everyone else (100 series, f150, etc). That's what I found anyway. It may be you are just a bit slower on a really windy day though

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
988 Posts
Evening all,
My wife, two kids (will be 4 and 2) and I are planning a lap of oz with a caravan in a couple of years. I am hoping to hear of others experience of how a manual ZD30 will hold up towing. I am at a crossroad of getting my car back on the road and investing in it to take with us, or get it back on the road and sell for a LC200.

Plan A went rapidly south as I installed a big HPD intercooler and scoop with an eclipse turbo. There is another thread on this, but in short it has pressurised the coolant and oil after its first run, and has been in the shop for a few weeks (head or piston I assume).

Back to the question, who has done some big towing trips with their ZD30? What sort of weights were you towing? Good? Bad?

We have recently sold the camper trailer in the hopes of getting a full height caravan. Will require shower/toilet/bunks with power and water for at least a few days off grid. I guess 19ft, 2.7-3 tonne. Invest more in the patrol? Or get a v8 land cruiser?
It would be a slow trip in the little 3ltr . And Australia is not flat . The thing will be working it’s guts out towing that .

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,423 Posts
Evening all,

Read this when you first posted but wanted to see reactions before replying. My wife is looking at caravans again at the moment, the following is my 2 cents worth based on past experience and having had a lot to do with the ZD30 over many years.
For me 3T would be out, I would keep it at around 2.5T, good ones are around, as Trev says in post #3 with a bit of fruit a ZD30 can do a lot of work a std one can't, if you wish to do the lap in record time then a ZD30 isn't in the hunt, but if you are touring and site seeing and simply enjoying our great country a ZD30 will do it easily.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. I guess with all that’s going on with the patrol I have lost a bit of trust or faith in her. All we can do is test and adjust.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only really looking at diesels, which is why we haven’t looked to far into the Y62

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the least I am going to have to get a remap and tune. If we think it’s a suitable option I will need to get a GVM upgrade

·
Registered
nissan
439 Posts
Only really looking at diesels, which is why we haven’t looked to far into the Y62
Don't sell yourself short. The patrol (in my eyes) is a much better value then a 200.
Fuel consumption is about the same (depending on the series). Live and travel all round NT, fuel is only a minor factor if that what your concerned are about. A tiny bit of for sight and planning and fuel isn't a issue.

·
Registered
nissan
4,817 Posts
The Y62 would be the better bang for buck but, if you want to stay with diesel and spend time in the towing world, the LC200 is the undisputed leader.
Obviously, the better place to get more specific advice on this is a caravaner’s forum.

i nearly bought an LC200 earlier this year but I already have slightly better power and better GVM without the complicated electronics..

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
988 Posts
Some people can’t let go of the dirty diesel. Go test drive a y62. You’ll be pleasantly surprised. I get 12 ltrs per hundred out of mine on the highway. Plus I can’t say I notice hills anymore .

·
Registered
Nissan
124 Posts
I will attempt to answer each part as you have written your post.....

Evening all,
its horses for courses...... the LC200 is a lovely comfortable car - but it does have its own issues like the ZD
2nd hand with bar work & all extras,(dual battery, winch, fridge), you are nearly already over your GVM, AND you have yet to fuel up and add people......
plus you will see the same fuel economy as everyone else (if they are honest) from 20L/100 to 25L/100 - which is the same or worse than as what your ZD would be doing

re-evaluate just what you want your ZD to do
for towing NM (torque) is the key, not HP/Kw - get it back to standard, yes - put a bigger IC on, but go top mount -
look at your Turbo - you need your NM from 1600rpm to 2500rpm, as your towing, not drag racing
any and all upgrades need to make it as reliable as std, but with more usable NM

I seem to remember years ago nearly ALL grey gonads were towing their 25' vans with Patrols - but most kept under the 3T van weight

all depends on what sort of Van tickles your wife's fancy, as to what size it will be - there are some nice vans that have everything you want (but pricey at the moment)
have seen 16" with all you have stated - 1600kgs..... (double bed + bunk beds + ensuite)
keeping to a realistic Van size is all about the towing weight V's the comfort level V's the cost V's the wants
(marble splash backs look nice - but are useless as they weigh more than a clear plastic splash back......)
you would be happy with a 200 for turing, just not when your trying to keep your GVM and GCM under control,
2 x adults + 2 x kids + Fridge + goodies for kids to keep occupied while driving + recovery / tools + ect. makes your 200 over weight, while your little ZD will still be under.......

yes your ZD will tow a caravan around Australia, not at 110km/hour

my thought is to get yours back to closely standard, with whatever to make it reliable and give you more torque, and then you will have more money for the Van and other extras that you will need
chairs for out side, BBQ, annex, floor Matt etc

just my $0.02 worth

·
Registered
nissan
4,817 Posts
Why dirty? Don’t they both have to meet the same emissions standards?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why dirty? Don’t they both have to meet the same emissions standards?
I will attempt to answer each part as you have written your post.....

its horses for courses...... the LC200 is a lovely comfortable car - but it does have its own issues like the ZD
2nd hand with bar work & all extras,(dual battery, winch, fridge), you are nearly already over your GVM, AND you have yet to fuel up and add people......
plus you will see the same fuel economy as everyone else (if they are honest) from 20L/100 to 25L/100 - which is the same or worse than as what your ZD would be doing

re-evaluate just what you want your ZD to do
for towing NM (torque) is the key, not HP/Kw - get it back to standard, yes - put a bigger IC on, but go top mount -
look at your Turbo - you need your NM from 1600rpm to 2500rpm, as your towing, not drag racing
any and all upgrades need to make it as reliable as std, but with more usable NM

I seem to remember years ago nearly ALL grey gonads were towing their 25' vans with Patrols - but most kept under the 3T van weight

all depends on what sort of Van tickles your wife's fancy, as to what size it will be - there are some nice vans that have everything you want (but pricey at the moment)
have seen 16" with all you have stated - 1600kgs..... (double bed + bunk beds + ensuite)
keeping to a realistic Van size is all about the towing weight V's the comfort level V's the cost V's the wants
(marble splash backs look nice - but are useless as they weigh more than a clear plastic splash back......)
you would be happy with a 200 for turing, just not when your trying to keep your GVM and GCM under control,
2 x adults + 2 x kids + Fridge + goodies for kids to keep occupied while driving + recovery / tools + ect. makes your 200 over weight, while your little ZD will still be under.......

yes your ZD will tow a caravan around Australia, not at 110km/hour

my thought is to get yours back to closely standard, with whatever to make it reliable and give you more torque, and then you will have more money for the Van and other extras that you will need
chairs for out side, BBQ, annex, floor Matt etc

just my $0.02 worth
Thanks very much for the detailed response. Some great points. Much to think about

1 - 17 of 17 Posts