Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on Plastic panels for comp trucks, if i get some feedback i might have a crack you could have some fun with this one. Here is the deal.

ABS cheap fairly tough recon a panel would come out under $300 dent resistant etc there is other options like HIPS may be a better option but more expensive.

Fun, you could for example have logos (safari snorkel is an example) or have some fun with teeth or flames,

Sky is the limit, but not sure if the demand would match the hours of mold making required.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
if u make it so you can fit bigger tyire in say 37/13.5 whould be good i whould have a look

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Certainly much better than fibreglass. When I owned a 40 series way back in the day I went to the trouble of replacing most panels (bolt ons) with fibreglass. I was forever fibreglass repairing those front wheel arch fenders grrrr....

Plastic would be awesome if someone made the moulds.

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Allright the challenge is set! i will keep you all updated, as you can imagine its gunna take a bit but with a bit of help i might be able to get this one over the edge.

Plan. Plastic panels

1st step.. make some, lol

Second step find someone prepared to fit them to there vehicle, i will start with standard front gaurds then work from that. (and yes you will need to cut them and feed me back with some instructions or options you see fit) i will probably make them as close to original as possible then my thought is you could bolt over exsisting or cut shorter and screw to the exsisting gaurd may look a bit tuffer.

Conclusion!

Help needed, send me pic of your rig if you would like to be included, i will then send some out and go from there. I need say 3 x GQ trucks with different configurations, (hey i melt plastic im not a GQ expert).

Close to Albury would be good.

Remember these will suit competion style trucks they wont have the original finish they wont be a replacement for the exsiting gaurd (im covering my but on this one)
Adrian
[email protected]

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could they be made to be replacements??? like exactly the same as factory??

you could also build a snorkle tube into the guard,like a bulge or something
Snorkel bulge! I like it, as for replacements im not sure how rules and regs would go but! they would be able to bolt in place of the exsisting "in theory" but they would require some stiffening.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
How repairable are they compared to F/glass ones? obviously would depend on the damage, but are they fixable easily enough?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
the only reason i was thinking that,is i was going to cut a rectangle slot into the front guard and weld in some 3 inch pipe that half sits out,then bog and paint it up,i think it would look good,still might do it at a later date

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
How repairable are they compared to F/glass ones? obviously would depend on the damage, but are they fixable easily enough?
well the plastic if its the right stuff won't shatter or splinter it will just sort of tear. This could be repaired by drilling holes in each part and using zip ties to reconnect - Frankenstein style.

The plastic used on the JK wrangler flares is fantastic. Stiff but flexible.

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Repairs could be easily plastic welded but i am hoping that the cost will end up reasonable enough to just replace. i say $300! well im hoping half say $150 would be fesible if the demand was there, just numbers at the moment i do have some idea but im just holding off till i finish the first one.

with the snorkel remember once the first mold is made i can easily adapt other shapes, for example even your name on the front gaurd would not be difficult to do or the trucks nickname i couldnt make a snorkel but certainly an exit point would not be difficult all this would depend on the help from owners! i can make it but you guys will need to tell me if its any good which im sure you will .

You can see im a bit excited about this one i plan to make a start in the next 2 weeks.

Also door skins will be on the agenda.

Thanks for all the ideas keep them coming

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
this is injection moulding? Be interesting to see them made for $300
the tooling alone would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

but sounds good... theres a good market, if you can do GU Flairs for cheap, you'll make enuff $ to retire.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
You can see im a bit excited about this one i plan to make a start in the next 2 weeks.
good to see ya getting excited,i love the idea of trying to do something yourself. would it be much lighter than the original stuff?

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Not sure if this helps or not but late model Mercedes Benz Vito vans have plastic front guards.

The salesmen seem to enjoy fully kneeing them right in front of you on your new car!

They seriously bend in but just pop back out, to look at you'd never really notice they were plastic until the little demonstration.

Might offer some inspiration.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
87 Posts
the mercs vans have had plastic guards fora while. the do held up well often when i lean on them i push them in but they pop back after 80km or so on our work vans they look great. they do discoulour at a different rate to the steal panels but meh barely noticeable.

big flares would be good.
apprarently u can get kevlar panels already for the pootrolls

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Having worked with plastic panels (The above listed + more) I'd say it's a great idea. ABS is a fantastic product that can be so easily repaired with some very basic toolong and know how. Not to mention it is extremely resistant to impact damage . PE (which i currently work with a whole heap) is also a great product with a large abrasion resistance. I'd be more than willing to assist in any way i could, however Brisbane and Aulbury are a few clicks apart.

How do you plan to get the general shape, i doubt injection moulding would be within any of our capabilities. I've seen compression moulding used quite efficiently but also quite expensive? Just curious. I honestly wish you the best of luck.

PM if you have any ?'s i MAY be able to help.

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you have a look on fleabay i am the guy with the triple pillar pods for the GU, i have all the good gear to pull it off, maybe lack of product knowledge will be the only downfall, hey big P.S if you are chasing pillar pods pm me and ill do you a good deal! haha shameless plug and moderators sorry pls dont lock the thread i need these guys help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts