Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a regular blood donor but last week lost a pretty close family friend to cancer and have been thinking since that I would donate platelets as they only have a 5 day shelf life.

Any one on here donate platelets and if so how do you go with it.

How long does it take and do you get any nausea afterwards?

Is it a good idea or should I stick with whole blood. I've noticed only 2% of donors are platelet donors.

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
They just take your whole blood and fractionate it ie separate it out to the individual componants. Just a normal blood donation unless things have changed in the last 5 years or so.

Just did a search and it is different now. Only the platelets are extracted so donations can be more frequent.

I would contact your local Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service for specific information. They should be frank about what they do and would probably let you talk to donors for their experiences.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
You might like to ask them how much they make from selling your blood to China.

Red Cross makes a fair bit of money from blood sales and they don't talk about. I think it is a rort and should be stopped. Asians generally don't like giving blood.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might like to ask them how much they make from selling your blood to China.

Red Cross makes a fair bit of money from blood sales and they don't talk about. I think it is a rort and should be stopped. Asians generally don't like giving blood.
Tell you the truth mate, I figure some of it's needed in aus so there is a chance that I may help an Aussie. But if some chinese blokes getting it so be it. At least I've helped save somebody's life.

I figure I'm only going to piss it away (literally, as blood is replaced constantly in your body) anyway so someone should be able to benefit.

As for red cross making money off it, so be it they need to pay wages and it's on their conscience.

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've done a few platelete donations. Last time I felt a little light headed for half hour afterwards, but I think that was mostly my own fault for not having enough to drink during the day of the donation. I think fluid intake is more important with platelets for some reason. It also takes about double the time of a normal donation as the process is more involved.

They stick a slightly bigger needle in your arm that has 2 hoses. In and Out. They take out the blood, it goes through the machine and gets seperated, and what they don't want gets put back up the tube again. It does this cycle about 3 or 4 times to get a full bag which is about 700ml I think. Because of the return and seperating process it takes longer, so take a good book.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
I don't have blood in my alcohol system, so I can't donate. But if the brewery wanted a top up, I am sure that I could oblige them. LOL

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,742 Posts
I've been called in to do matched platelet donations about 5 or 6 times. They told me that as a cancer patient gets sicker, they need to get a closer match for the platelets, so they use the bone marrow register to get them.
Because the blood goes out into the separating machine & back in again, the have to add an anti-coagulant, which is what makes you crook. It also gives you a funny metalic taste in your mouth, so sometimes they give you some stuff to drink to help. A couple of times I felt a bit queezy, but nothing too bad.
The newer machines only take about 45 minutes, but the older machines they used when I first started took over 1 1/2 hours, great when you've just had heaps to drink & cant go for a p!ss.:cheers:

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I've done platelets twice, second time was a bit of a trial - took 2.5 hours. I was sure glad to get to the dunny after that. Drink heaps of fluids up to about an hour or so before donation and make sure you squeeeze every last drop out before you get on the chair...

There is more of a risk of complication with platelet, so far for me it's a 50% risk (!) but I'll do it again - once you have done platelet they chase you for it even more than for whole blood. Clearly they need it pretty badly.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Not allowed to donate any more, a couple of years ago was diagnosed with a condition that means the Blood Bank wont take my blood as its too much of a risk to me apparently.

never stopped me prior to diagnosis though.

good on you for doing it, should be more like you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
As biggles said.
I try to give a couple of whole bloods a year and a platelets every month, if I can get there.

I had a bad experience onday as the needle was sitting near a valve in my elbow...
and all the lights went out.
Didn't like that too much.
Any way I'm due on Monday, so off to the bank I go.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Good work guys . Really good work. Our neighbor has breast cancer. It's pretty much out of control and she is going to die some time this year but the one thing that really perks her up and gets her going for a few days at a time is when she gets a blood transfusion. Some ones gift makes a huge difference to the quality of the remainder of her life.

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
Richo, I'm in the same boat as you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts