Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody bought one of those drop fridge slides yet?

I have a 4" lifted ute and my missus is a little vertically challenged, so these look like a good idea to help her reach the beers for me.

Just after some feedback if anyone has one.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
My work mate brought one for his 60l Engel. About three weeks into our Gibb river trip and by the time we hit Mitchell falls (really bad corrugations) it had rattled to pieces and had to be held together with vice grips and wire till we made it home.The key lock-slides and drop arm mechanism were the main problems even with nylon locknuts it came to pieces and the whole frame seems a little flimsy during operation. We thought it was a great idea and would work really well if it was used more for touring on the black top and light offroad work. Also the after sales service was terrible from the manufacturer as they refused to refund his money even though it was 2 only months old and was installed by the 4wd shop selling them on there behalf. Remember this might be a one off and other people probably have had great luck but i thought i would give you a heads up. Good luck

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Had two of them... one was the DS60 that took an 80 litre Waeco and the current one is the smaller version with a 40 litre Engel on it.

Both are perfect with no probs and the first one didn't do the Gibb when I sold it to a mate (with the Waeco) but has had a fair share of offroad work... the first is nearly 2 years old and the second is about 6 months old.

The Slides weigh almost as much as the Frig's so I thought they would be bulletproof and I'm amazed they came apart on your mate but disturbing to hear that MSA won't offer decent after sales service.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
177 Posts
got one afew weeks back, and am lovin it. the wife like it too. just be aware of where the power lead goes, my brothe has one too, but his son closed it and cut the lead

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the smaller version with a 50L Waeco. Have had no probs with it at all even on the Gibb and Kalumburu roads last year with the bad corrugations, so as Smokescreen said, maybe a one-off in his workmate's case. I did however have a rear shock totally blow out on the Kalumburu Road.

IMHO, Bl00dy great unit when ya have short legs. :smile:

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I find the price is the killer on them for me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had the Engel 45 Litre version one. Its rattle, when I contact them they suggest to bend the plate at the end of the slides with rubber mallet. Only last couple of months before the rattle come back.
I'm still using it, but won't buy again if there is no design improvements.

·
Registered
nissan patrol swb gq
200 Posts
Hard to believe that the fridge holder is as dear as the whole fridge. Just doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do they look like they are fairly weather proof? Mine would be going in a ute and I only have my canvas canopy on when I'm going away.

Guessing I may just have to take it off after each trip to make it last longer.

The price is a little steep too I agree but I'll have a look at one on display and guess I'll make a decision from there.

Thanks for the comments and keep em coming cause I not going to buy just yet...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
I would opt for the old trusty milk crate to get to the fridge,and their free too and great for putting the gas bottle in...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I would opt for the old trusty milk crate to get to the fridge,and their free too and great for putting the gas bottle in...
x shitloadsteen.. milkcrate $0 V $500

1 - 11 of 11 Posts